Suggestions for cheap 1 day use reactive target?

I have some steel targets on the way but I'd like to go to the range this weekend and would really like some targets I can use as an audible or visual indicator that I made a hit.

I was thinking balloons or something but that's really a pain in the ass. If I go through 300 rounds I don't want to bring 300 balloons.

Anyone have any ideas?

Maybe a metal garbage can lid or something? I'm not sure it'd be audible enough or whether rifle rounds will just pass right through it.

Tin can, clay targets? check your range rules

What are you shooting?

Edit: I see you wrote rifle. If it's "high powered" at 100 yds you probably won't hear much unless the target is thick steel--but have fun trying all sorts of things! Tin cans bounce when hit (or even near misses) and clay targets obviously break. I just scatter them on the back stop and plink away--again check your range rules.

Last edited:
Basspro has this new self healing plastic target. 10" circle supposedly good to .50 cal. Has built in spikes to put in ground and swings. $30

Bottled water. .25 a piece or less. Lots of fun. Fruit too. Just make sure it is stuff with lots of juice in it.

What caliber are you shooting? I have an old frying pan in the backyard that I have used for years, with .22's. Its hollow back makes for a loud gong noise.

swing by my house and ill give you some bowling pins.
Would you hang them up? I need repeated shots and repeated indication of hits.

What caliber are you shooting? I have an old frying pan in the backyard that I have used for years, with .22's. Its hollow back makes for a loud gong noise.

5.56. It'll probably go through it, which I'm ok with but I just want it make a noise while doing so.

If you were in WMA, I'd have you stop by and grab a trunkful of pumpkins from our field...a few dozen left that haven't started rotting yet. No noise but you do get an orange mist.
pumpkin.jpg

If you need a heavy-duty target hanger, I shot steel using the shepherd's hooks (potted plant hangers) from Home Depot or Lowe's. The pole withstood a couple of hits of 9mm at 25 yards with no more damage than removing the paint.

I got steel targets from Artzen Targets. I think I got the 12" diameter and the 8" diameter in the rifle-quality armor steel. The total was under $100. including shipping... but I'll bet the UPS man wasn't my friend that day!

It sure was fun dingin' 'em! Going back and forth between them was almost musical!

I'm going to second the bottled water. A case of 24 waters at wallyworld is under 5 bucks. I've always liked using that when bringing new shooters. They love the big splash.

You can get gallon jugs for .75 to 90 cents a piece as well for a bigger splash. The cool thing about the gallons is that if you line them up in a row and shoot into the row from the end with a hollow point rounds, you can recover the expanded bullet from whichever jug it stops in. A nice souvenir for a first time shooter. I know you're not taking anyone new shooting, but water bottles work well anyway, hanging from something or sitting on the berm.

Back
Top Bottom