Stupid senario for a stupid law.

Just curious here not planning to do this.

As I understand it you can move into MA with guns that are not on your MA "lists" and then sell them. What stops someone from buying a couple of hundred hard to find..like a glock 26, 1911, Kahrs and then sell them through a dealer once they move to MA? It seems the 26 is $200 plus over the cost of a new one. Stupid but I'm just curious.

Trafficking firearms is illegal. From my understanding, you would also have to sell them FTF not through an FFL because they would then have to sell them out of state.

As I understand it you can move into MA with guns that are not on your MA "lists" and then sell them. What stops someone from buying a couple of hundred hard to find..like a glock 26, 1911, Kahrs and then sell them through a dealer once they move to MA? It seems the 26 is $200 plus over the cost of a new one. Stupid but I'm just curious.

Plenty... An FFL (dealer), in MA couldn't conduct the transfer if the firearms in question are on the EOPS roster and/or fail to meet the AGs CMR certification. The Firearms would have to be sold FTF.

And... an individual can only conduct 4 FTF transactions per calender year. After that... any further sales would have to go through an FFL (see above... rinse... lather... repeat).

Plenty... An FFL (dealer), in MA couldn't conduct the transfer if the firearms in question are on the EOPS roster and/or fail to meet the AGs CMR certification. The Firearms would have to be sold FTF.

And... an individual can only conduct 4 FTF transactions per calender year. After that... any further sales would have to go through an FFL (see above... rinse... lather... repeat).

What if a dealer puts them on consignment? Is it "ok" for them to do that? Cause aren't they technically not selling the gun then?

I still don't see any problem doing this. I mean the 4/year FTF transaction limit slows things down a bit but one could still make a substantial profit...over lets say...80 years.

The dealer can put them in his showcase but he still cannot transfer them to a MA resident.

Makes sense.
I wonder what happens though.
I know a guy who purchased a non-mass-compliant handgun from a dealer. I'm not sure how he did it. Where does the responsibility fall? Seller or buyer?

So you are saying some guys is about to move to MA and says "hey I should buy a couple hundred handguns to bring to MA"? Might be legal but the ATF might lift an eyebrow and pay you a visit also 50 years from now when they sell the last gun it will probably be to the state during a mandatory buy-back program.

Well, the problem is you can only (legally) rotate 4 per year on the
private market. Even if someone bought 12 "noncompliant"
handguns, it would take you three years to sell them all.. .that's
a long time to have that kinda cash tied up.

Another more obvious problem is with any more than a handful
of guns, BATFE might get pissed off that someone is running a
"for profit" business in firearms- which typically requires a Type-01
FFL, and all of the BS that that entails. (And in MA you need a
storefront and a hard to get MA license, as well, to satisfy the state
level BS). Problem is even if you DID become a dealer, you'd then
inherit all the legal restrictions that the other dealers have to deal
with... which kinda defeats the purpose.

-Mike

Last edited:
The answer...nothing stops you, absolutely legal. You can bring in what you own when moving to MA. Once licensed you can sell them...4 a year FTF. Compliance roster is only for dealers not FTF sales.

The bottom line...absolutely stupid. Talk about bells and whistles for the ATF to come visit you!!!

Buy a handful, be creative, get a friend a normally taboo gift and bring it in...whatever.

But if you can't figure out a way to invest that much money for a max of 50 years...you should have just disqualified yourself for even being issued an LTC in MA!

4 FTF transfers a year = 50 years to realize your profit and probably 35 years just to make your investment back. I'm positive you can find a better return on that much money somewhere else!

4 FTF transfers a year = 50 years to realize your profit and probably 35 years just to make your investment back. I'm positive you can find a better return on that much money somewhere else!

I was being sarcastic.

First off, I have no plan to move to MA. I started the thread because I couldn't understand how your state would allow such a loophole. (I wasn't clear on the 4FTF transfer per year.) Just curious. Frankly, I'm surprised your state still allows FTF transfers given the fact that guns that don't make the "lists" can still be transfered.

I'd say god bless you guys but it's too late for that. Good luck.

Frankly, I'm surprised your state still allows FTF transfers given the fact that guns that don't make the "lists" can still be transfered.

The main reason for this is because the way the MA compliance
BS is written, it's written as "consumer safety" regs... (they did it
that way, because it was a lame attempt to make it look
like a "safety" measure more than one of outright gun control) and as
a result the consumers themselves are exempt from it...

-Mike

Frankly, I'm surprised your state still allows FTF transfers given the fact that guns that don't make the "lists" can still be transfered...
Shhh. Don't be giving the antis ideas
whistling.gif

The easiest way to bypass the 4 FTF deals per year is to marry somebody from Arizona who brought his non-compliant guns with him, who also has a best friend from Arizona who also brought his non-compliant guns with him. It's not exactly the same as owning them, but it's free. And if it's in my gunbox, that means it's mine. Right?

Back
Top Bottom