stripping/finishing aluminum - best way?

I've got an aluminum trigger housing I'd like to strip and re-coat in a different color.

I"m looking for the products and process for stripping and refinishing aluminum and figured I'd start here as it is a rifle part.

If anyone here has experience they'd care to share I'd appreciate it.

Paint section of auto parts store, walmart or hardware store, look for something called Aircraft remover.

Strips the paint off everything. I used it on a set of wheels

As far as the refinishing in a different color: Do you have an airbrush? Look into Cerekote or Duracoat

No airbrush? Try some Brownells aluma hyde

Question: what's the current finish type, and what finish type are you looking for? This will greatly affect your answers.

If you are going to paint it again don't strip it. Sand smooth and refinish it using the factory paint as a priming/bonding medium.

sent from the hand basket.

From a metal worker field . Running a machine shop right now. Went to school for welding...

Best bet is media blast with some thing soft like walnut to rough it up. Then let sit in a warm bath of okite .I think that's the name of this mild acid I've used at the last few places I worked at...

The metal really never gets clean no matter how much you wipe it , the rag keeps getting dirty .. It's cause the surface rust insanely fast. The surface melting point is around 10 times that of the base metal .... The ac pulse shatters that thin layer.. Try welding on dc and you'll see what I mean .... Got off track..

Any ways

Anodize to me is to thin, scratches to easily.at least all those stupid -an fittings in my race car(not cheap) scratch way to easily.
I would use some thing like dura coat or some thing else like that first....

I can't rember if its c&l or c&d, in lawrence we send all the military stuff to do . But what ever they use is crazy tough... I took a bfh to some thing we had painted / coated after 10 hits finally got a chip lol...

If you call up places like that do this work, believe it or not you can ask them if they do mil spec work and ask for your stuff to be coated with it.. Granted you'd get black or od green and won't know what it really is lol...

Or rub part with red scotch Brit. Wipe with Mek and paint ...

Send it!

Back
Top Bottom