• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

STI frame

I thought that I knew the answer to my question, but I was told that I was wrong, so I am bouncing this off of you guys to see what you think.
I am looking to get a STI frame to build a gun with, I spoke to my dealer and he told me that he couldn't get me an STI frame because it was not on the approved list, but that he could get me a SVI frame because it was. I was under the impression that the "list" only applied to firearms and that MA considers a frame a "gun part" not a firearm, so it was kosher to transfer a frame that was not on the list. Once that gun is completed then I, the owner, would be obligated to register it via a FA10 form. Am I mistaken in my thinking?

If you do a search for this (perhaps "1911 frame" or "frame transfer"), you'll find MUCH info on this.

The dealer is correct...The frame needs to be (well, supposed to be) on "the list." Yes, it is true that if you "find the right dealer," they will transfer you just about anything; However, many dealers WON'T transfer strictly a frame to you.

When the frame is transferred to you, you still have to fill out a federal Form 4473 (the first form that you fill out everytime you go to a gun shop).

If you do a search for this (perhaps "1911 frame" or "frame transfer"), you'll find MUCH info on this.

The dealer is correct...The frame needs to be (well, supposed to be) on "the list." Yes, it is true that if you "find the right dealer," they will transfer you just about anything; However, many dealers WON'T transfer strictly a frame to you.

I believe that's incorrect.

A frame/receiver isn't required to be on "the list" in order to be transferable by an FFL.

(How does a manufacturer certify the required EOPS safety/testing requirements on a frame?). [wink]

I believe that's incorrect.

A frame/receiver isn't required to be on "the list" in order to be transferable by an FFL.

(How does a manufacturer certify the required EOPS safety/testing requirements on a frame?). [wink]

Yup, I stopped typing earlier because I had a brain fart...Should've just cancelled the post [laugh]

What you said is part of the reason why dealers won't transfer JUST a frame...That's what I was trying to say. [wink]

The frame is not legally a gun under state law, however, many dealers voluntarily treat it as if it is and fill out FA10s on frame-only transactions. The fact that the state will not issue a written opinion to dealers indicating this is part of the reason - and a statement from a customer asserting the law just doesn't carry the same weight :).

There are other examples of "voluntary beyond what the law requires" compliance - for example, many major firearms manufactures will not ship a stripped frame to MA for 4473 transfer, even though it is not a gun and does not trigger the provisions of the 1998 law or AGs regs.

Q...you put it together ..Now you have a gun that was not in the state before 98.....is not on the list....Is it illegal?

99% of MA dealers won't do transfers on the frame even though it is legal. Finding the right dealer to actually do the transfer is the tough part. No one will give out their sources and are all sworn to secrecy. If you look hard enough you may be able to find an FFL to do the transfer for you? It's a tricky process but worth the investment.

Good luck.

I thought that I knew the answer to my question, but I was told that I was wrong, so I am bouncing this off of you guys to see what you think.
I am looking to get a STI frame to build a gun with, I spoke to my dealer and he told me that he couldn't get me an STI frame because it was not on the approved list, but that he could get me a SVI frame because it was. I was under the impression that the "list" only applied to firearms and that MA considers a frame a "gun part" not a firearm, so it was kosher to transfer a frame that was not on the list. Once that gun is completed then I, the owner, would be obligated to register it via a FA10 form. Am I mistaken in my thinking?

I know a guy [smile]

Back
Top Bottom