Steyr M9-A1 extraction problem

Just took home a brand new Steyr M9-A1 pistol and took it to the range on Sunday. Ran into a problem that seems to be more or less common with these pistols. Was hoping some people on NES might know a thing or two about it, and hopefully a fix.

Ran about 50 rounds through the gun, and in that 50 rounds, had three failures to extract. Each failure was with a different brand of ammunition. The extractor seems to be slipping off of the rim and leaving the empty case fully in the chamber. The next round jams as the slide tries to feed the fresh round into an occupied chamber. There appears to be light markings from the extractor on the rim of the case in the chamber.

So is this a case of a bad extractor? Or perhaps the slide is coming back too soon, when there's still too much pressure in the chamber? There seems to be quite a bit of talk on this problem online, but mostly with the older versions of the gun, not the newer ones. Mine was manufactured in February 2011. The solutions I've seen is to buy the newer extractor and install them in the older pistols, but I have a new pistol which I assume already has the new extractor.

I'm going to go shoot it more today, and see if I get any more data. Any info/opinions would be appreciated.

I highly recommend a trip to http://www.steyrclub.com basically a board full of people who obsess over these particular guns. Sometimes the guy who designed
the pistols even posts on there, too, from what I've been told.

-Mike

I just put 160 rounds through it with absolutely no failures. I wouldn't think an extraction problem was one of the issues you could 'shoot out' of a new gun, but it's looking like that might be the case.

Back
Top Bottom