Steel cased ammo

Hey, I was searching around on here and your website about your policy on shooting steel cased ammo and could not find any info on it. I know a lot of ranges are against it. Are we allowed to use it at MFS?

Thanks.

Hey, I was searching around on here and your website about your policy on shooting steel cased ammo and could not find any info on it. I know a lot of ranges are against it. Are we allowed to use it at MFS?

Thanks.

Why would a range be against steel cased ammo? I think you mean steel core ammo or steel shot ammo if youre talking trap/skeet.

Maybe I am confusing it with something else, but I have read that some ranges don't want to mix the brass with steel for recyleing purposes or something like that. Please excuse if this is a dunm question, only been shooting for a few months [smile]

I've never seen a rule like that, but why can't you just pick up your steel cases and throw them in the trash so they don't end up in the bucket? Seems like a silly rule to me.

Thanks.

Are you talking about jacketed ammo as in FMJ and such? Some indoor ranges don't allow that because their backstops can't handle it or so they say.

It is tulammo, I bought a box the other day and have heard from a few places that some ranges don't allow steel cased ammo for different reasons. It is fmj also. Just curious. I may not even use it in my gun either because I hear a lot of negatives about it. Picking it up and putting it in the trash is a no go with semi auto.

It is tulammo, I bought a box the other day and have heard from a few places that some ranges don't allow steel cased ammo for different reasons. It is fmj also. Just curious. I may not even use it in my gun either because I hear a lot of negatives about it. Picking it up and putting it in the trash is a no go with semi auto.

Why is picking it up a no-go? I pick up my brass cases at the range to save it, why can't you pick up your steel to trash it? Also what range(s) are you talking about with this rule?

We have a problem with steel core or armor piercing ammo at our range; some members are nice enough to set up steel plates at 100 yards, and then people put holes in them with ammo that can penetrate. I don't think it is on purpose, but it is really a serious inconvenience for those of us that like to shoot reactive targets and find them destroyed half the time.

Steel cases, on the other hand, are not an issue, unless you think it wears out your extractor.

Why is picking it up a no-go? I pick up my brass cases at the range to save it, why can't you pick up your steel to trash it? Also what range(s) are you talking about with this rule?
I have only seen this rule on other forums reading other shooters experiences, that's what sparked my curiosity here.
I guess I could pick up the casings, it would be a pain to do, with all the other brass on the floor.

At our range we have brass buckets for spent brass, and we have one of those "magnet broom" things from Home Depot for picking up steel casings. Works like a champ, and then you toss the steel casings in the trash can.

Back
Top Bottom