Starting My Journey

ericfgs

NES Member
Ok, I have decided after many years of thought to go for a FID/LTC. I have a problem from "85" where I was arrested for possession of a class D (pot). I believe it ended up as a CWOF. I also have 1 or 2 other stupid things from around that time. IE arrested for not paying a ticket. I am self employed and living in a green town. I figured I would post my steps and intentions so others can see some of the process. My first (convenient) stop, Police station to get the "packet" My Fathers day present to myself. My second, Off to the courthouse to see if the CWOF is a guilty plea or not. My third, contact a lawyer to get a feel for whether I'm disqualified or not. Yes, it may be a short journey ending with the call to a lawyer. I will keep posting my experiences and findings as I continue. I'm sure someone will find this useful and/or interesting. Thanks

Call one of the fine legal professionals that are on this board BEFORE you talk to the police. They will guide you through the process & give you the best chance of getting your LTC.

Good luck, & welcome to NES. [grin]

good luck! Oh, and thank you for being responsible enough for doing this the right way as opposed to applying for your permit, getting possibly denied, and then crying up a storm. That act has gotten a little long in the tooth around here.

Let us know how it goes!

it's too bad that possession of a plant somehow justifies removing someone's ability to defend thier life.

Thanks Everyone, My thought was to get the packet so I could look it over and familarize myself with it. I have no interest in filling ANYTHING out until I'm positive as to what I'm doing.

Another +1 for having your act together and understanding the best way to go about this.

I hope it works out for you and that you have learned from your past transgressions.

I am not a lawyer and the advise to contact counsel is a good one. If I remember correctly when I filled out the form at my local PD, there was a sign that said if the arrest is for a misdemeanor traffic offense, you don't have to list it. So if your arrest is for non-payment of a motor vehicle ticket (i.e. speeding) I beleive you don't have to disclose that on the application form. I would be interested in seeing if my understanding is correct.

-Ward

Last edited:
Ok, I have decided after many years of thought to go for a FID/LTC. I have a problem from "85" where I was arrested for possession of a class D (pot). I believe it ended up as a CWOF. I also have 1 or 2 other stupid things from around that time. IE arrested for not paying a ticket. I am self employed and living in a green town. I figured I would post my steps and intentions so others can see some of the process. My first (convenient) stop, Police station to get the "packet" My Fathers day present to myself. My second, Off to the courthouse to see if the CWOF is a guilty plea or not. My third, contact a lawyer to get a feel for whether I'm disqualified or not. Yes, it may be a short journey ending with the call to a lawyer. I will keep posting my experiences and findings as I continue. I'm sure someone will find this useful and/or interesting. Thanks

+6 for doing it the right way. It really shows that you did a bit of research here (or somewhere) and thought this through. That's the kind of shooter we like to find ourselves next to on the line...

I too had some ''minor indescressions'' as a young man. All CWOF. (I cori checked myself)
I filled out the paperwork omitting NOTHING. The Maynard Chief took one look and said he would issue FID so I could hunt because state would never allow it. I asked him to please push it through anyway. He said "it's your 20 bucks" Some 6 weeks later, LTC ALP. The rest is history. (like all my money)

You could also do a self-CORI check. I did since I knew I had a minor traffic violation when I was a teenager so I ran one when I applied to make sure I had no omissions on my application.

UPDATE, Yesterday I spoke to one of the lawyers here in the forum. He asked me if I had been in trouble during the probation period of the CWOF. I had not. he did say that it will not disqualify me. He also reminded me it is up to the chief as to a LTC. I also downloaded an application from another town just to look over. It looks pretty straight forward. Thanks for all the suggestions and info. I do take it seriously. Now it's time to look for a course. Man, they fill up fast. I may even take a look at the places where they are held to get a feel for the atmosphere.

Back
Top Bottom