Stainless or Chrome Moly?

That would depend on the barrel itself. An older thread went over some of this but repetition is good for the soul![wink]

Everybody that makes a barrel that shoots knows that there is a limited time for accuracy out of that tube. Both metal types will shoot well - it would depend on your budget and abilities to see what works for you. Barrels are finicky creatures - some cheap barrels shoot good and some expensive ones might shoot like crap. It basically comes down to the person boring out the metal that day as to how good one shoots. I don't think that there is that big a difference in which shoots better or lasts longer. That will depend on the person behind the barrel to determine longevity.The barrel will let you know when it's had enough at 600 yds because it won't hold the 10 ring anymore. BUT that same barrel will still go for more rounds at 300 yds or closer and still group well.

I'm not good enough ( or hand load 5.56 yet ) to get that little bit more potential that a Krieger barrel would give me... I'll let John Payton play that high. For my uses, the stainless Wilson match barrel was plenty accurate and would be half the price of a Krieger and still shoots good enough to win in John's hands!

Joe R>

He floats whatever he decides to use. He probably is using that now but one of his last couple of barrels were Krieger's. I was using John as an example because I know him and have shot service rifle with him locally and at Perry. It was about time that he got in the President's 100 this year after a couple of years of trying![grin]

Joe R.

Back
Top Bottom