Spiral Fluting a Remington Bolt?

Has anyone had this done to their Remington or any bolt? What is the purpose and does it weaken the action? It looks good but is it worth it? I'm having a Badger Ordnance tactical knob installed sometime this week and wondering if I should give this a shot also. Thanks, Matt

I assume you're talking about spiral flutes on the barrel. Spiral flutes are longer than straight flutes, and therefore remove more weight and provide (slightly) more surface area for improved cooling.

I hope that someday, if I really practice, I will get good enough so that I could notice the difference.

Though if you think they look good, go for it.

ETA: Whoops. My bad. What Urj said.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the purpose of spiral fluting the bolt is so that any sand or similar debris will be spun out and away from the action when cycling the bolt. No idea if it works in practice but unless you're spending some time in Iraq it's most likely going to be just for looks.

I do like the way it looks, not too sure I'd spend big bucks to have it done though.

Spiral bolt fluting both reduces both weight and friction in the bolt. Additionally it allows for the even distribution of lubrication to liberally work into the action when the bolt is cycled.

You'll find that traditional bolts will overtime become caked with fouling, the fluted bolts will not suffer from that problem and will remain as smooth as the first pull despite many rounds as the spiral cuts move/allow dirt and grime to move away from the action.

Will it weaken the bolt? Yes, but only in theory.

Will it make the rifle lighter? Yes, but only in theory.

Bolt fluting is cosmetic. Not to my taste, thank you. If you want to dress up the bolt, have it jewelled (engine turned).

Thanks for the info. Only cosmetic huh? I assumed that. The rifle fires great as is, I thought somehow, it would make a difference. Great to have knowledgable people on this site. I'm going to go ahead with the bolt knob installation since the stock knob gets in the way of my scope rings. Thank you all again. Matt

Will it weaken the bolt? Yes, but only in theory.

Will it make the rifle lighter? Yes, but only in theory.

Bolt fluting is cosmetic. Not to my taste, thank you. If you want to dress up the bolt, have it jewelled (engine turned).

I wouldn't brush it off as just theory.

If they did it right, they would start with a bigger bolt and flute it. The flutes remove weight, but you still retain most of the strength of the bigger bolt. Basicly you get a bigger, stronger bolt, that weighs about the same as a normal bolt.

The removal of dirt is much more in the 'theory only' catagory than the weight/strenght changes are.

Personaly, its all about the feel. If you can't feel the difference, then whats the point? Is that what your talking about RKG?

Back
Top Bottom