Speer data for .380 100 gr RNFP?

Folks,
Does anyone have access to the Speer 14th edition book? That is the one that I don't have. I just received a message from Xtreme Bullets who said that they recommend load data from Speer as their bullets are closest to Speer bullets.

I'm specifically looking for recipes for .380, 100gr bullets, ideally rnfp, ideally using Power Pistol powder. There are some widely differing recipes in the Lee book and other sources showing velocities anywhere from 830 to 950 fps max load, but the factory 100gr hollow-point ammo clocked on the chrono at 1028 fps.

Thanks!

Folks,
Does anyone have access to the Speer 14th edition book? That is the one that I don't have. I just received a message from Xtreme Bullets who said that they recommend load data from Speer as their bullets are closest to Speer bullets.

I'm specifically looking for recipes for .380, 100gr bullets, ideally rnfp, ideally using Power Pistol powder. There are some widely differing recipes in the Lee book and other sources showing velocities anywhere from 830 to 950 fps max load, but the factory 100gr hollow-point ammo clocked on the chrono at 1028 fps.

Thanks!

I know I have the 12th and 13th. Let me look...

...13th only lists the 95gr TMJ (#4001) with Power Pistol (0.970" COL). 4.2gr/883 fps to 4.7gr/974 fps.

I also know that I've loaded the Lee 356-120 TC into .380 without issue, but don't ask what load data I used, off the top of my head. They ran just fine in my neighbors PPK.

Last edited:
Thanks for everyone's suggestions, and particularly those that sent me PMs.

The 14th edition of Speer apparently doesn't list any data for 100gr bullets.
Hornady does, and for Power Pistol at 3.0gr/700fps to 4.4gr/950fps, which, if you back off a bit on velocity of the the 95gr bullet listed above, might be in line.

However, I clocked the 4.4 gr at 852fps (41 degrees, 90% humidity?). That is a big difference! 4.5 gr at 898. But then on a different day (same temp), I clocked 4.7gr at 891fps, and some factory 100gr hollow points at 1028fps. I can't explain the huge difference in the second day from the first. Why would I be getting nearly 100fps lower from the Hornady velocity, probably at lower temps and maybe at higher humidity?

I attempted an alternative way to figure out a good load: look in the 100gr section of the Lee book for a powder very close to Power Pistol burn rate and examine the velocities. That would be IMR SR-7625, which is only 1 step slower than Power Pistol. The velocities range from 762-855fps, which is also very different from the Hornady load.

I'm confused. The Hornady book seems to have the best recipe, but if I go up to factory load of 1028, I'm way above the velocity of the Hornady book. Trying a neighboring powder gives me 100fps slower velocity than Hornady. And I can't seem to trust my chrono from day to day.

Ugh.

You are welcome. I can't help u with that problem. I'm sure the reloading gurus here will be here soon with help.

Back
Top Bottom