Speer Bullet ???????

Hi. Anybody out there know why Lee recomends NOT using Speer bullets with thier dies????? Person I asked at Lee didn't have a clue.

I've been using Speer bullets in my Lee dies for about ten years and have never experienced a problem. Just stick to the manual for aol and powder measurment.

I've used Speer bullets and Lee dies for 30 years and never had any trouble. It could be some kind of a fight with them.

speer

Thanx for the info... Couldn't figure why thier lead bullets were any different than Hornady. Gonna give them a try. I'll load a couple mags worth and see what they do. I like the style also.. Thanx again... Stan

Thanx for the info... Couldn't figure why thier lead bullets were any different than Hornady. Gonna give them a try. I'll load a couple mags worth and see what they do. I like the style also.. Thanx again... Stan

If the bullets are all lead they are most likely swaged and good only for low velocities, under 800 fps.

Gammon
If the bullets are all lead they are most likely swaged and good only for low velocities, under 800 fps.

That could be it. Lee manuals are for cast bullets which are harder than swaged.

That came about because of LEE's Factory Crimp Die. SPEER says not to use any crimp that might distort or dig into any of their bullets that don't have a cannelure. LEE evidently took that as a shot at their FCD and fired back. This started quite a few years ago, when the FCD was first introduced.

I use LEE dies, including the FCD, and SPEER bullets quite a bit, the combination works fine for me.

DC

speer

Well I guess it won't matter if I use em. Don't own any of the factory crimp dies. Never used one either so I'm safe.. Again thnx for all the help.. Pi$$ing contests between mfgrs never help anyone...Stan

Back
Top Bottom