• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Speer Brass

I started sorting/loading a bunch of 45 acp brass I got and all the speer shells look concave towards the primer pocket, just a little but it looks like external pressure not internal. They also are the only ones that tumble completely clean inside like they were never fired. Anybody have experience with this dishing on the bottom of a shell? Thanks

I believe Speer and CCI are the same company and I have had trouble when trying to prime the brass. The pockets' edges are very square and the primers seem to catch an edge and go in hard.

The problem is worse with CCI primers, but it still happens even with Winchester.

There's enough .45 lying around so that I sort out the Speer and CCI stuff and don't load it.

I believe Speer and CCI are the same company and I have had trouble when trying to prime the brass. The pockets' edges are very square and the primers seem to catch an edge and go in hard.

The problem is worse with CCI primers, but it still happens even with Winchester.

There's enough .45 lying around so that I sort out the Speer and CCI stuff and don't load it.

I'm almost in complete agreement with Jim on this. I will reload them but I need to be careful with the priming part. Good brass otherwise.

I also noticed that somehow they clean up nicely.

You could swage them a bit to take the edge off.

I tried this.

When I load potentially crimped brass (9mm, .45 ACP, 223/5.56, etc) I keep the single stage press on my bench set up with an RCBS swaging die set up for the caliber I'm working. If I feel a primer going in hard, I'll yank the case out of my progressive and swage it real quick on the single stage.

The problem with the Speer/CCI stuff is that due to the concavity of the bottom of the case, they don't always swage right.

Since .45 ACP is so common, I find that these cases are more trouble than their worth, so I sort them out.

Speer also made a 45acp round using small pistol primers. I was reloading when I run into one of them. I don't know where I got it from but I wasn't to happy.

Give me a pm if you want to sell the small primer 45acp brass, Ill have cash on the 8th of every month, thanks from Andy

I've noted speer/CCI .45 brass is harder to seat primers in, but compared to friggan S+B brass they're easy. S+Bs are so tight you think you're going to blow up/crush/set off the primer. [laugh]

-Mike

I've noted speer/CCI .45 brass is harder to seat primers in, but compared to friggan S+B brass they're easy. S+Bs are so tight you think you're going to blow up/crush/set off the primer. [laugh]

-Mike

Speer/CCI has square corners that make the initial seating tougher but once in they are easy.

I'm sure you know that most S&B are crimped pockets right? I swage or chamfer them if I'm reloading that brass.

Speer/CCI has square corners that make the initial seating tougher but once in they are easy.

I'm sure you know that most S&B are crimped pockets right? I swage or chamfer them if I'm reloading that brass.

That I didn't know... I'll have to just put them in a junk bin next time I
fire them... I only have a couple dozen S+B pieces in the mix so far.

-Mike

I have loaded a lot of Speer brass. I have buckets of it in 45ACP & 357 sig. I have an occasional problem but not a lot. I also use only Federal primers so that may make a difference.

As to the Small Pistol primer in 45ACP, these are in Non Tox Speer and Winchester as well as National Cartridge. It is lead free primer ammo.

For S&B, I have never had a problem with their brass either. That I load primarily in 357SIG. They have tight sealed primers, but I have never run into "crimped" primers and don't even own a swage for primer pockets.

Anyone throwing away Speer brass, throw it my way [smile]

Speer also made a 45acp round using small pistol primers. I was reloading when I run into one of them. I don't know where I got it from but I wasn't to happy.

I've run into this too having scaveng.... er recycled a number of Speer casings from my range. Small CCI primers work fine.

Back
Top Bottom