Something I wrote earlier today

arguing on craigslist - usually a great way to kill braincells but to see how the other side is thinking. Friends, we have a fight on our hands, to say the least - sometimes complacency and ignorance are even more a threat to us than the legislator's pen.

What follows is a post I put out, but its something that captures my feelings on the matter pretty well. I think it could be used as a rough draft to a speech or even when talking to members of the press. It may be a wee extreme or not extreme enough, but its where my "bubble," so to speak, is at right now.

I don't even own an "assault weapon" as those on the left and in pop culture define them. I've collected and shot them in competition and just for the pure fun of it. Between buying a new home and other expenses however, I sold a lot of that stuff off. Through legal channels of course.

That said, I do have a license to carry firearms and am usually doing just fine with a .38special or my .45ACP Autoloader, which carries a total of 9 extremely effective hollow point rounds. These are great weapons for home and self defense, and for more threats, there is always my mossberg 500 shotgun, which is loaded with both buckshot and slugs, depending on the needs of the situation.

But the second amendment wasn't to ensure I could defend myself against an every day attacker. The second Amendment was to ensure that the rank and file citizenry of the United States could defend in the event of a tyrannical government using their muscle against the people.

That's why it says the right of "the people" to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed. The people in this context, means the citizen, you and I, being able to rise in the defense of the constitution. For that reason, weapons like the AR-15, the FN FAL, M-14 and AK-47 have their rightful place in the American home and arsenal.

Make no mistake, the second amendment has nothing to do with my Smith and Wesson 4506 to be used against a home invader, it has to do with the deadly serious business of arming civilians, heaven forbid, against a rogue government force. The second amendment is not about hunting, target shooting or the biathalon, its about American civlians engaging in paramilitary operations against a government force bent on taking our liberty.

Many will read this and suggest that the document is outdated, that it protects the right to own a musket and that the government today possesses tanks, JDAMs and nuclear arms, we'd never have a chance to fight back.

Tell that to men like my father, who fought in Vietnam with superior technology, only to be defeated time and again by rice farmers with little more than an AK47. Tell that to the Iraq war veteran whose legs were taken by a roadside bomb. Defending ones homeland and liberty is often ugly business and it is not intimidated by threats of technology and firepower. The slumbering spirit of our revolution still lives. Woe it be to those who dare awaken it.

I read it and acknowledge that the arguments are crazy. one of my wife's friends said that my .38 could be used against some poor kid like trayvon martin - I said there's a good chance Zimmerman was justified, she said even IF martin attacked him, no kid deserves to be shot. Yes, even if that kid is a criminal.

But Im not going to be disheartened. Now is the time to counter these people with passion, but with calm recitation and defense of the facts.

We are going to win this. We will come out dented and scarred, but we will win.

Nicely written, but see my post to see the ridiculous arguments you're up against!

I said there's a good chance Zimmerman was justified, she said even IF martin attacked him, no kid deserves to be shot. Yes, even if that kid is a criminal.

Wow, so Zimmerman deserved to die at the hands of Martin? That's harsh.

arguing on craigslist - usually a great way to kill braincells but to see how the other side is thinking.
You got that part right. I've gotten a total of 1 intelligent response when I've gotten into a couple of "discussions" on NH C/L.
Most of them are just trolls looking to get a rise out of someone on a hot button issue.
The only reason I even bother is in the hopes that someone that's undecided or ignorant to facts can get a decent summary.

Back
Top Bottom