• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Someone is standing up to the CoP

It's about time someone asked these questions in any town in MA.

http://www.hampden.org/Minutes/BOS/M2008/BOS081215.pdf

A group of residents came before the Board to discuss the issuance of firearm licenses by
the Chief of Police. They are dissatisfied that multiple trips to the station are required, as
more and more information is requested, and do not understand why after receiving FBI
approval, they need further approval from the Police Chief.
The Board listened and agreed to meet with the chief to gain an understanding of the
process and what his needs are. Once done, the board will contact Nancy Snow, a
representative of the Gun Owners’ Action League who will then contact all residents
attending tonight’s meeting.
The general discussion centered on the perceived lack of consistency in the permitting
process and issuance of a license to carry a firearm. A reference was made to the
Northeast Shooters group that is collecting data from various cities and towns to
determine how permitting is handled across the state. The residents in attendance wish to
see the process become a one step process and feel as if they have been made to return
again and again to the Police Department with more and more information to satisfy the
requirements of the Police Chief. They would like to see a written policy for the Chief to
follow.

Fantastic, I love it.

Reference to GOAL, NES, and a group of citizens taking action. +1 for them. I hope this sets in motion a state-wide movement to standardize the licensing process. (Getting rid of the suitability clause would be icing on the million dollar cake)

Hampden is blue on the guide so apparently we know little about it. Anyone in that town who would like to fill in the details?

Am I reading this right? Why is the name and address for all the GOAL people listed?

Am I reading this right? Why is the name and address for all the GOAL people listed?

Perhaps for follow-up contact considerations?

Once done, the board will contact Nancy Snow, arepresentative of the Gun Owners’ Action League who will then contact all residents attending tonight’s meeting.

More info:
http://www.hampden.org/Minutes/BOS/M2009/BOS090105.pdf

GOAL Response: The Chief’s list of requirements to issue firearms follows the
State’s guidelines in granting an unrestricted license to carry. There is a list with
the application, a copy of the driver’s license is taken, a copy of the current
license they may have and a fee. The information is forwarded to Boston and is
returned to the Chief who has 30 days to review and approve or deny the
application. The applicant then gets fingerprinted and it is a typical 6-8 week time
frame for approval. The Board will write a letter to Nancy Snow from GOAL
who will forward that information to the residents who attended the initial
meeting.

http://www.hampden.org/Minutes/BOS/M2009/BOS090113.pdf

Letter to GOAL: A letter has been drafted by Rick Green to respond to the issues raised
by the residents in attendance at a recent meeting with the Selectmen. Their concerns
stemmed around the process through which they had to go through to obtain a license to
carry a firearm in town. This letter will address these issues and will be forwarded to the
representative from GOAL who originally contacted this office and who will then
disseminate the information to those residents.

Sounds like a whole bunch of nothing came out of this. Seems the CoP informed them he was following the letter of the law. The laws need to be addressed, this is not how it should be...

There is a written procedure, by the sate. The problem is only half the PD's in the state follow the rules and make up their own.

Years ago when I first applied for a FID card in Tewksbury, it took so long I had to call my state rep and bitch. They sent down their own person who scooped up a STACK of apps on the LT's desk and brought them to the Criminal history board by HAND!

The LT proceeded to f*** up my app by miss spelling my name and putting a non-existent expiration date on the form making it invalid. I asked this nut buster to make a new one and he said the "process" would have to start all over again and it would cost me another $100. bucks, but also insisted that it was good. What did I know? This was new to me.
So for 4 years I used this cards to buy guns, ammo, hunt and it was not until I moved and went to notify the Tewksbury PD that I moved that I found out that my card expired on the same day it was issued!

I told the girl in that office at the PD "Does that make any sense to you AT ALL!? She called the history board and had it reinstated right then and there.

The name of this butt head was Lt. Ford who I think has since retired, thank God.

He struck me as one of these cops that think that only THEY should have guns, great pick for the job. Every time I had to deal with him he seems sooooo put out like doing his job was too much of a hassle. I hate that fracking town.

Back
Top Bottom