So what is it worth?

Scrivener

Banned
OK, reloading gurus; care to proffer a valuation?

I am being offered a supposedly never-used Dillon 550 sans box, but w/the original equipment and 2 sets of (unspecified, possibly Dillon) pistol dies.

IF - naturally, if - it is unused and has all the necessary little bits (both primer tubes and cups, powder measure, tray, etc.) and is as-new, what is it worth?

A new one is $380 + shipping; I could get a new one for $323 + shipping; and a new Hornady FULL progressive is about $350 + shipping (yes, you get 1,000 free bullets, but you still have to buy a shell plate before you can load a bloody thing!).

Thoughts?

If it has never been used like you were told I'd say it's probably worth close to $300 +/-. I'd offer $250 or there abouts... from what I hear Dillon will fix anything anyways if needed. Good luck.

I just bought this exact set up last week at KTP. The 550 is over-engineered and quite solid. There are a few small quirks but it is a great piece of equipment. Offer $300 for the package and see what happens...

I'm not an expert but from what I've researched they all have quirks! But it's a neccessity with the crazy ass ammo prices lately.

$250. - $300. assuming it comes with the shell plates. Dillon WILL guarantee everything. No BS. I bought a Dillon 800 swager from Ebay. Did not come with all the parts and the one sizing rod it came with was worn out. Called to order the missing parts and told them about the worn one. They said send the worn one and we will send a new one no charge.

If it has never been used like you were told I'd say it's probably worth close to $300 +/-. I'd offer $250 or there abouts... from what I hear Dillon will fix anything anyways if needed. Good luck.

+1

You could be the umpteenth owner and the press could be run over by a tank
and Dillon will replace the parts free of charge.

If you can get a new one for $323.00 + shipping, but the very same set-up used for $50.00 less, go with the used one.

With that in consideration, it's not so much what it's worth... it's what you're willing to pay.

If you can get a new one for $323.00 + shipping, but the very same set-up used for $50.00 less, go with the used one.

I'd go for the new one if it was only $50 more. There are enough little pieces, parts, and springs that can go missing or get damaged when the press is kicking around somewhere without a box.

Sure, Dillon will fix it up, but is it worth $50 to:
  1. Mount it to your bench
  2. Screw around with it for more than a few hours
  3. Get pissed off
  4. Make a few phone calls
  5. Unmount it from your bench
  6. Scrounge up a box large enough to ship a press
  7. Pack it and tape it up
  8. Lug it to the P.O. or UPS/FedX during business hours
  9. Wait a few weeks to get your press back
Shit. I'd pay someone $100 to keep me from going through all that.

You didn't mention the number of different calibers you intend to load but caliber conversions are much more expensive for the 550 vs. the L-N-L.

You don't strike me as being a particularly patient man, so I'll figure that you'd be buying Dillon's Deluxe Quick Change Assembly along with a caliber conversion kit and dies for each caliber. You'll probably want Dillon dies as well. The seating and crimping dies come apart for cleaning simply by removing a clip - you do not have to remove and disassemble the toolhead. If you load lead bullets and use (for example) Lee dies, you'll have to pull the whole toolhead out at least every couple of hundred rounds to clean out lube build-up. When using a 550, the Dillon dies are worth the extra expense; I just ordered a set of .38/.357 dies for my 550.

So, for each caliber you're looking at:
  • Dies @ $57.95
  • Caliber conversion kit @ $39.95 - $49.95
  • Quick Change Assy. @ $84.95 (add $24.95 for either a magnum or X-small powder bar).

That's a grand total of about $183 for a "cheap" conversion or $218 for an "exotic" caliber. You can sometimes find (usually used) parts cheaper on eBay, but not much cheaper.

Contrast that with Hornady where you're looking at less than $30 for a shellplate, $14 worth of L-N-L bushings, and a Lee 4-die set for under $30.

Right now, I load 12 handgun calibers - 11 (.30 Carbine, .32 ACP, .32 H&R Mag, .380, .38 S&W, 10mm, .44 Special, .45 ACP. 460 S&W Magnum, .50 AE, .500 S&W Mag) on my L-N-L and one (.38/.357) on my 550.

The reason I load most on the L-N-L is that I like to load on an auto-indexing press. The 550 is a great machine, but if I get a new caliber tomorrow, I'm going to spend 1/3 as much to load it faster and safer on the L-N-L.

I was actually thinking about selling my 550 to finance a Dillon RF 100 automatic primer filler.

IF I were getting my first progressive, I'd get a Hornady LNL - period. For all the reasons you cited, and despite Dillon's guarantee (which I have availed myself of), I think it's the way to go.

However, you missed the part about my present 550 being at Dillon for a rebuild. So, I HAVE toolheads and dies for the 550 already. This makes another 550 at a good price the more viable option, as there will be NO shell plates or bushings to buy.

Basically, I'm planning to drop about $250 merely to dedicate one machine to large primers (.45 ACP) and the other to small primers (.38 Super, .40 and a little .223).

Thanks to all for their input. News as it happens.

IF I were getting my first progressive, I'd get a Hornady LNL - period. For all the reasons you cited, and despite Dillon's guarantee (which I have availed myself of), I think it's the way to go.

However, you missed the part about my present 550 being at Dillon for a rebuild. So, I HAVE toolheads and dies for the 550 already. This makes another 550 at a good price the more viable option, as there will be NO shell plates or bushings to buy.

Basically, I'm planning to drop about $250 merely to dedicate one machine to large primers (.45 ACP) and the other to small primers (.38 Super, .40 and a little .223).

Thanks to all for their input. News as it happens.

I did miss that. It sounds like a good plan - changing primer sizes is a PITA.

I guess the question you need to answer is, "Was what I just went through to get my 550 to Dillon for a rebuild worth a $50 savings in price?"

I guess the question you need to answer is, "Was what I just went through to get my 550 to Dillon for a rebuild worth a $50 savings in price?"

Heck, NO. I paid $60 just in shipping! Here's what I got and what I paid:

1. A never used (NO dies in toolhead and not even the drop tube in the powder die) Dillon 550;

2. On a STRONG MOUNT;

3. With Dillon .45 ACP dies;

4. A Low Powder Sensor (what a USELESS accessory - the bloody powder measure is:

CLEAR; and

Right in FRONT of you!);

5. About 750 (once?) fired .45 cases;

6. One pound of 231 (still sealed);

7. A Dillon primer sorter;

8. About 500 primers; and

9. A large tin of Navy Arms rifle percussion caps (????)

Yes, it ALL seems to be there; two of each primer tubes, a primer tube filler and all the little bits and wrenches, still in sealed plastic bags. I note two major improvements to the press:

A plastic (nylon, delrin, whatever) slide for the primer bar; AND

TWO primer bars; one for each size - no more futzing around trying to change that damn little primer cup w/o losing the spring!

Cost? How does $250 sound?

Last edited:
You did get a good deal; I am a high volume reloader and have two 650's set up (one in .45 and one in 9mm) to avoid having to change the calibers. I am quite pleased with Dillon, but as you already own a 550, you must be too. I believe you will enjoy the 2 caliber arrangement. I also have two Lee pro 1000's set up identically (they were my training set-up) and there is no comparison. good luck, jim

I've got it pretty much set up; I just have to adjust the dies. Since it came with the strong mount; I'm using it - plus it holds the bullet tray!

I see Dillon changed the powder measure; now it has a rod that goes to a bracket under Station 2 for a mechanical return, instead of the spring. I haven't used it yet, but the spring worked fine for me and DIDN'T block the station when I wanted to check the powder charge.

So far, the only things that the original purchaser seems to have lost were:

1 fender washer for the mount; and

Half the stuff for the useless Low Powder Sensor.

I have the blue unit that mounts on the primer tube with the battery, etc.; he lost the replacement cover/sending unit that goes on the measure itself.

I'll use the new Dillon .45 dies it came with, EXCEPT the crimp die. I have a Lee FCD that works much better. So, now I have 2 toolheads set up for .45. I may replace the old one with .38 Special, in case I ever decide to load for those .357s sitting in the safe!

The brass cleaned up nicely; I just have to look at the bags of loose primers. Who in their RIGHT mind takes primers out of the trays and puts them into baggies?

Last edited:
I just have to look at the bags of loose primers. Who in their RIGHT mind takes primers out of the trays and puts them into baggies?

No one. I'd suggest dumping them as you have no idea what they are.

Congat's on the set-up. I'm a major fan of RCBS but any of the top names have quality equipment. Unless you are reloading commercially, find a good used set-up like Sciv' did and go to town. My RCBS 4X4 Auto was free and works perfectly. RCBS has sent me missing and worn out parts without question. I'm sure Dillon, Hornady and others do the same.

Back
Top Bottom