• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

So I just got my CT permit and have a dilemma...

Just got my state permit today on my lunch hour from work after a 7 week wait. I looked at it there and everything seemed fine and I went back to work. I happened to check it tonight after getting home and realized i'm missing a letter from my last name which is pretty long. I must have looked at the permit 10 times and didn't realize it. The guy went by my license so I guess he just made an error while typing it.

My question is that the sheet they gave me when I received the permit says to confirm that everything is correct and if not mail the permit back to DPS in Middletown with an explanation of what is wrong. I am wondering if there is any chance I should be able to go down to Troop G in Bridgeport (where I got the permit from) and have them print me a new card there without much issue? I was planning on going shopping this weekend (as this was the only free time I had to do so) and would hate to have to wait for a new card to be mailed back to me when they made a mistake. I'm sure if I noticed it while I was there they would have fixed it right there.

I was also wondering if a gun shop could sell me a gun with this permit even though I am missing one letter of my name as long as they put the correct name on the paper work and then I got the permit taken care of.

I am planning on calling Troop G as soon as they open to ask if they can do it in person, but I'm just wondering if anybody has had this happen or knows what will most likely be told to me.

Last edited:
I'm not from CT so take this for what it's worth. I would go back to Troop G and see what they say. the problems as i see them are 1) you already signed saying it was correct, i don't think this is a big problem and they will most likely just ask why you didn't say something then - i know you didn't notice. 2) if they are like ma, and again I don't know, they don't print the cards right there. they would have to send it out or call and have it changed, which would be quicker than sending it out.

do it the right way, have it taken care of before purchasing a firearm. you don't want any trouble later on down the line for something stupid.

Last edited:
I had something similar happen with mine. When I applied they found my old FID info in the computer and used that for the upgraded LTC A. Unfortunately when the license came in it had my old street address ( I happened to live on the same name street in a different town) number and the old town zip code. I brought it into my local PD and discussed it with the licensing lady. She sent in an address correction and I should be getting the corrected one soon. I had already purchased something with the license but had the gun shop use the correct street address (showed him my drivers license). He explained that the transaction was okay but I should get it resolved. This is different than having your name misspelled so I would definately check it out with the licensing authority first (hate to muck things up with your first buy...).

This was all done in person. He took the info off of my license from what I could tell. I filled out the form and signed it myself so I know I spelled my name correct. He printed the permit right then and there while I waited.

They should be able to print you another one and update any errors there at the Troop barracks. I would call ahead and talk to a person who processes the permits directly and give them a heads up so it's not a surprise. You'll most likely have to wait till the next scheduled day they do new/renewal permits. Unless you get someone nice it's doubtful they'll fix it on a non-permit day. I would hold off on any purchases until it is fixed.

On printing permits Maj Boom Boom, Ct prints them right there while you wait at office. Got mine in 10 minutes flat from Troop E Uncasville/Montville, and there were 3 people ahead of me when I got there. They don't mess around or drag it out.

I am going to try to call when they open. I just hope it goes smoothly.They do permits everyday (except Sundays) from what I can tell. Just the hours change depending on the day.

My Advice would be show up and not call. If you call and they say mail it in, then you have to wait. If you just go in and are there they might go out of their way to just fix you up.

My Advice would be show up and not call. If you call and they say mail it in, then you have to wait. If you just go in and are there they might go out of their way to just fix you up.

Yep, that was my thinking as well. I'm hoping if I show up and explain what happened he can correct it while i'm there.

ok thanks for the info. why the heck does it take 7 weeks then, does it take that long to get the background checks done?
No, I don't think it takes that long for the checks. Some people have gotten them a lot faster than that. Mine took 5 weeks. My father's took over 12 (New Haven).

I, too, would just take it into the barracks and explain to the clerks there what happened. They will determine what the course of action should be. I suspect, however, that they will simply make the correction there when they print your new permit. The background check is done using all the info you've provided. They don't just use your name. Is it possible that your name is simply too long to put on the permit? Anyway, I'd just tell them that as you were waiting in line you noticed the error and see if they can just correct it in their database and be done with it.

Please let us know the outcome.

Rome

I spoke to a lady in the Firearms unit at DPS in Middletown and told her how there is a letter missing in my last name. She informed me that Troop G can print a new permit for me if I go down there.

As for my name being too long it is 10 letters and the letter missing isn't the last, it is like in the middle so that doesn't make much sense.

Fingers crossed, because every time I've called DPS they never seem to give me the correct answer. I'll let you know how it works out.

There is just one guy doing the permits at Troop G so I hope he'll remember me and get this done while i'm there. I know my name was correct on the application I filled out. I hope it is as easy as it seems so far.

Got it corrected at Troop G. Didn't take very long either. I am now all set and compliant. Ready to go shopping. Going to head to K5 and Guns & Safes after work to have a look around.

Guns and Safes apparently is closing (or already is closed) and is going to be a pawn shop instead. If you don't mind taking a ride there are other shops within an half hour drive which tend to have better prices than K5. Bethany Firearms in Bethany, CT is one, and CT Firearms and Tactical in Orange, CT is another. Then there is the big two up in Newington, Hoffmans and Newington Gun Exchange, with Cabelas about a 10 minute drive further up the road.

Troop G also goofed my permit but luckily I caught it when the young lady asked me to review it. And for the other poster who asked why it takes 7 weeks. Some towns take the state mandated 8 weeks or less to do the temporary permit. The larger towns like New Haven have, in the past, taken up to six months to process the temporary application. Drove me batty when I dropped of my application to the New Haven PD in mid October and didn't get the permit until the following mid April.

I am pretty set on the HK P30 V3 and figured if anybody was going to have a great price it would be Hoffmans. I called and he quoted me $930. K5 is $960 so for the gas to get there it isn't worth it obviously.

K5 is 5 minutes from my house which is nice. I agree some stuff is expenseive. It is good to know prices before purchasing. With Glocks for instance, the Glock 19 was $530 at K5 while Hoffmans is $500, isn't too bad of a deal. I spoke with Mike who was friendly and helped me out. $30-40 more than gun shops futher away isn't a make it or break it deal for me as long as the employees are helpful and giving me solid advice and information. Gas alone in my lifted Jeep would end up being a wash. Yeah there is always online dealers, but for at least my first gun I want to deal with a local dealer that can help me and answer my newbie questions.

I was also looking at a PPS and K5 was around $670 if memory serves me correctly while Hoffmans was $600. Obvioulsy if K5 could get closer to that I would still probably buy from them if I was in the market to buy it.

Last edited:
I cannot comment on other people's experience at K5, however I refuse to spend my money in there after they tried to sell me a used (scratched up) Glock 17 that they claimed was a new in the box one. And then the guy claimed that they only came with one magazine. Plus they wanted $50 more than a new one from Hoffmans. [rolleyes]

Give Bethany Firearms a shout, they tend to have prices close to what Hoffman charges. And sometimes are even cheaper than Hoffmans. I picked up a Stag AR-15 from Chris at Bethany Firearms a few years ago and his price was close to $90 cheaper than Hoffman's was. They're a small shop but can order stuff in at good prices.

Done! I picked up the P30, two 25 rd boxes of Remington Ultra Home Defense 124gr BJHP and six 100 rd boxes of Winchester WB for the range. I actually got the pistol for just under $900 as another dealer told me they could get it for me for $830. I apprecaited the lower price, even though he didn't match it, and I bought from him because of the help, tolerance of my questions, and overall feel of the shop. $70 less at the other place for a half hour drive each way in my Jeep just isn't worth it.

Ordering my Supertuck tonight and hoping to go to the range with a friend on Sunday. I haven't shot a pistol since....well my NRA course which was back in February.

I am glad it all worked out for you. Congrats on your new toy. BTW you will never see me in K5 ever again.

Love to know why. Both times i've been treated well. I do plan to check out a few other places on my next purchases to see how they compare.

I have always been treated well by Frank at K5 (owner). Some of the other guys working there have been less than helpful, but can't say that isn't different than any other sizable store I have shopped at (including Hoffmans and Newington GE). I tend to spread my purchases out.

J

Back
Top Bottom