• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Small magnum primers

I got a 1000 small pistol magnum primers by mistake. I know you can use them in 357. I was wondering if I could use them in any other caliber?

Last edited:
Magnum primers are best for slow burning powders (H110,WW296) but will work well enough with faster powders, in a pinch.
As in any case that you have to substitute a component, start with the recommended starting loads and work up a little at a time.
Make sure that you use a firm crimp to keep the primer from moving the bullet before the powder ignites or you will have poor accuracy.

I was wondering if I could use the in 38 specials with 158 gr lead over 4.3 grs. of Unique?

I was wondering if I could use the in 38 specials with 158 gr lead over 4.3 grs. of Unique?

Definitely not.

So-called "magnum" primers are designed to be used, and are rated to be used, only with specific powders (and then only within the range of charges specified by the powder manufacturer). Because they burn longer and hotter than "regular" primers, magnum primers will change, perhaps drastically, the peak chamber pressure curve of loads with powders intended to be used with "regular" powders.

Let me say again, with emphasis: it is not a question of which caliber; it is a question of which powder.

In my experience, primers store well for long periods. Just hold onto your magnum primers until you start experimenting with powders for which they are specified, which you will likely eventually do with a .357, and in the meantime go out an buy some regular primers for your Unique loads.

Definitely not.

So-called "magnum" primers are designed to be used, and are rated to be used, only with specific powders (and then only within the range of charges specified by the powder manufacturer). Because they burn longer and hotter than "regular" primers, magnum primers will change, perhaps drastically, the peak chamber pressure curve of loads with powders intended to be used with "regular" powders.

Let me say again, with emphasis: it is not a question of which caliber; it is a question of which powder.

In my experience, primers store well for long periods. Just hold onto your magnum primers until you start experimenting with powders for which they are specified, which you will likely eventually do with a .357, and in the meantime go out an buy some regular primers for your Unique loads.

This advice is spot on. Great post RKG. Let me add that I've tried it in .38, with a different powder that also didn't come close to filling the case; and let me just say that it was an adventure. You would've sworn that I used random charge weights.

Last edited:
If you got the primers locally, and you are a regular customer, the dealer might be willing to take them back for trade of regular small pistol primers.

I have small pistol primers also. I just loaded the small magnum primers in the press when I saw in small print that they were magnum.

I can just save them to use in my 357 and 41mag reloads.

The reason I was wondering if I could use them in 38 special was I saw on another forum a discussion were they said that they had used them with unique in 38 specials.

Back
Top Bottom