SKUNK!!!!!!!

So fun story, I shot rather large skunk at 430 am Tuesday morning with my air rifle. Shot was about 30 yards and was in the head. It went down and flopped a bit, then started to stagger (not the usual skunk waddle) and went behind the debris pile. It traveled about 5 ft and I was able to get 2 more shots off into the chest. Assuming he was done in I went to work. Came home at 930 am to get ready for a 2 day business trip, checked out where I shot him, there was some blood and a smudge where it went under the pile. I assumed he was done and went on my trip. Got home last night around midnight, got up a 430 to go to work and let the dog out and he came back doing the tell tale lip licking. Another damn skunk sprayed him! So I put some more food out at my bait pile and will be waiting this am!

Any recommendations to keep the bugger from spraying when I shoot again? Got lucky the first time, but my house is finally smelling better and the dog is too!

Use something with more power to it than the air rifle... A 50 BMG comes to mind, but the neighborhood might not like that. [rofl2]

I have a marlin 60 and a scoped .17 hmr but considering I live in town and have several neighbors very close and can hit a golfball on a bounce to the police station (downhill), I am trying to avoid the sonic rounds. Plus Im pretty sure it was a different skunk, the other one is prob stiff as a board under the brush pile. The first one was eating of my bait pile, the second one was eating the fallen bird seed.

2 dead on my street. They seem to be very busy.
I used a have a heart to trap them. I threw a tarp over the trap put it in the bed of truck and dropped him off at my work lot.

Last edited:
Pick it up by the tail and drop in a bicket of water.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

A good reason to buy a lever action 22 so you can use CCI CB shorts (good luck finding them) but they are about as load as a air rifle in my Henry.

Any recommendations to keep the bugger from spraying when I shoot again? Got lucky the first time, but my house is finally smelling better and the dog is too!

Yeah, kill it!

I shot one last summer with an old Crosman, 10 pumps, with BBs. After the first shot, I walked up to it and put four more in the head to finish it. Until the third shot, it kept trying to turn around. It can't spray you if you stay in front of it. And a skunk usually won't spray unless it has a specific target, meaning it wants you behind it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A good reason to buy a lever action 22 so you can use CCI CB shorts (good luck finding them) but they are about as load as a air rifle in my Henry.

aguila super colibri 22 very quiet theres no powder just a primer

I have to get some of these. I have a .22 revolver that they would be perfect for.

subscribed.

Dog got sprayed in the face last week. Seemed a bit early to me.

[coffee]

Were you able to get rid of the smell quickly? A friend works in a kennel and I've asked her for their secret when a dog gets hit. It's about two hours of work, but she said the smell is just about gone by the following morning.

Yeah, kill it!

I shot one last summer with an old Crosman, 10 pumps, with BBs. After the first shot, I walked up to it and put four more in the head to finish it. Until the third shot, it kept trying to turn around. It can't spray you if you stay in front of it. And a skunk usually won't spray unless it has a specific target, meaning it wants you behind it.

Skunks spray forward facing their target...
White Feather

Get a more powerful air rifle... There are a lot of .22 cal pellet rifles that will drop a skunk without a problem.. There are a couple air rifles they are hunting big game with now!

Skunk runs toward coyote to spray it. They get u shaped with tail curved forward over their back and spray in the direction they are looking. Pretty clear in the video or were you agreeing with me?
White Feather

Agree partially. A skunk will run toward an adversary as a warning, and get u-shaped. By getting u-shaped, their ass is pointing at you. They cannot spray over their tail, but they may stand on hind legs to spray forward.

If you can read body language at all, you can tell how close you can get before worrying. A skunk will usually backpedal away from you slowly until it feels less threatened. If it starts to get an aggressive attitude, then you went over the line and are now on defense.

Last edited:
Spend more time on the range. If you are unable to kill anything in one shot you need more training. Leave animals alone, take down bird feeder and stop leaving food for them on the wood pile. They will go somewhere else.

Were you able to get rid of the smell quickly? A friend works in a kennel and I've asked her for their secret when a dog gets hit. It's about two hours of work, but she said the smell is just about gone by the following morning.

Large bottle of hydrogen peroxide & 1/4 cup of baking soda with a table spoon of dawn/ dish soAp. Mixed everything in a bucket by hand & sponge bathed him w/ a grout sponge I had left over. After a while he just smelled like wet dog. I can still smell it on him if I stick my face right up to him. The house I had to air out & wash several times with vinegar & burn incense.

Skunk sprayed the loading dock of my facility this morning. I'm 3 floors above it on the other side of building and can smell it. Hope those guys didnt get sprayed.

Back
Top Bottom