SKS refinisng done but I have a extra spring

So, the SKS refinishing is done. I got all the old finish off it, sucked some of the dents out and used minwax natural color plus some satin poly for the end.

before
sksbefore.jpg

all done
2012-07-13_23-23-00_17.jpg

extra part
2012-07-13_23-22-31_513.jpg

The extra part could be the mag spring or the sear spring. the mag spring looks like its there, and the trigger works. I also didnt take the trigger mechanism apart, I just took the rifle off the wood. Where did this part come from? [rofl]

I don't know what the part is. But looks like you did a great refinish on the stock!! Congrats [thumbsup]

thanks! this was my 1st solo refinishing job. the photo doesn't do it any justice, its much better than it was originally. The stock got stained 4 times, and the hand guard 5 since it was a lighter wood. I put 3 coats of satin poly on it.

It did come out nice!! I am sure there are a ton of similar springs out there and I have no experience with the SKS, but you mentioned the possability that it might be a mag release spring. It does look like the mag release spring in my 1911

hrrmm... looks too big to be the spring for the gas block thingy....

maybe the spring that sits in the wood, under the action.... the part where you're pressing down on the trigger guard with all your strength to get the f****** thing to latch.....

dunno... been so long since i took my Yugo apart... bet ya $5 SKSRay would know ;)

I think innerlogic has it right. When you put the trigger guard back on did it feel like it was missing the spring? If you cannot remember it would be a quick thing to check.

I agree with inerlogic, remove the trigger assembly and I bet you will see a small hole that that spring will drop into.
Nice job by the way, looks very nice.

thanks everyone, great directions. I found the hole on the stock and the spring fit right into it.

I'm finely proficient at taking the SKS apart. It's no wonder the AK replaced this thing so fast. I'll bring it off to the 100 yard range sometime in August and see how it groups, i haven't fired this thing yet, and I've only fired a SKS once before.

The Dench mosin is up next. that thing is RUINED right now, I need to get it pretty again.

I'll start the Dench mosin refurb project in late July. Should take about 2-3 weeks.

Looks nice. I used to really like shooting my Sks's I just cant really see the little tiny rear notch to well. I keep looking for replacement sights of sorts...

thanks! this was my 1st solo refinishing job. the photo doesn't do it any justice, its much better than it was originally. The stock got stained 4 times, and the hand guard 5 since it was a lighter wood. I put 3 coats of satin poly on it.

What did you use for a stain and what color stain did you use?

knoxy, thanks for pointing that out. Although its held in place by a pin its only secured with tension screws..I think I would mount the proper side rail for scope mount before I used these type of sights.. I have a old redfield olympic sight set up I have been trying to figure out how to mount along with the big globe sight up front

What is that, grip tape that was all over the stock in the before pic? [laugh]

Nice looking wood in the 2nd pic.

yeah. The stock had hockey tape on it, and then where the hands went there was skateboard deck tape.

it came out SUPER nice. shity cell phone pic.

Dench, that looks like it came out fantastic. It really shows the grain of the wood. great job buddy[thumbsup]

Back
Top Bottom