Skate tape?

Chuck

NES Member
Rumor has it, that's the name for some high friction tape that feels good under the hand on otherwise slippery grips. I've struck out finding it at local sports stores and WalOfChinaMart. Anyone know where to get that of which I speak?

cheers,
Chuck

Don't use skate tape. Get 3M non-skid tape from Home Depot.

And, it doesn't "feel" good. It will eat your hands up but they won't slip when you need 'em. It's like gluing 80 grit sandpaper to your grips.

A "finer" grit version, cut for most popular firearms, is available through
www.mle-shootingsports.com

It's called "Tru-Grip", and is quite popular in the Practical Shooting sports.

I have some on my Glock 22, and find it's MUCH better and easier on the hands than skateboard tape. Easier to apply too! You get three pre-cut forms for one price, and each application lasts a L-O-N-G time. Find a buddy or two and split the cost- give Mike a call- he's a stand-up guy and really supports the sports and at least a couple local clubs, as well as some local shooters (no, he's not sponsoring me to say this.....).

Rumor has it, that's the name for some high friction tape that feels good under the hand on otherwise slippery grips. I've struck out finding it at local sports stores and WalOfChinaMart. Anyone know where to get that of which I speak?

cheers,
Chuck

Any sporting store that sells boards will have Skate Board tape. It comes in a sheet usually under the Black Magic name. Next time on Cape go to Nauset Sports in Orleans. They usually have it.

Depending on the firearms will tell whether Eric makes Tru Grip for it. It is a fantstic product but is actually harder on the hands than the Black Magic board tape. I prefer the Tru Grip

its non skid

The tape your looking for is commonly used as a non skid. Some cautions here
this stuff is sandpaper, its an abrasive and could abrade the skin on your
hand.

JimB

It's not that bad fellers....I use stair tread tape on my USPSA .40 Limited gun and it's great. Check out the pics. I have it on my carry Glock as well.........

para1.jpg

para40l.jpg

para40b.jpg

Don't use it!!!

I used to skateboard a long time ago and I would suggest not using this "grip-tape" on anything but a skateboard or an orbital sander. This stuff eats the sh$% out of your hands just putting it on. I can't imagine how bad it would hurt when firing a gun. "Good-Bye Fingerprints"!! Oh...Wait... Maybe I should get some.....

I make my own using the stair tape from HD too. I like Tru-grip but the stair tape is more aggressive and cheaper. I like to keep the tape fresh.

Lens, that is why my wedding ring is tungsten carbide.

Free Hocky Tape

Chuck:

If by "Skate Tape" you mean the Tape that you wrap your Hocky stick and or Baseball bat with (Can be used in other sports. ie: Wrapping Mag light to shotgun, wrapping rangefinder to golfclub etc..)

Simply go to Market Basket and buy a 28 case of Labbats Blue. It comes with a free roll of Roll of Tape.

Now what do you do with the Stick?

ski-Picture%20023.jpg

Another vote for Trugrip. For my hands at least (soft software engineer hands) it is not very abrasive when shooting. It makes shifting your grip out of the holster a little difficult but it makes huge a difference in recoil control.

For me the big sell of trugrip is the convenience and the precut shape. It also sticks better then the grip tape I bought from Brownells.

It's not that bad fellers....I use stair tread tape on my USPSA .40 Limited gun and it's great.

I gotta agree with Hamar on this one. I use the same stuff on the front strap of my Limited Para. My hands are fine after shooting with it. Its only a couple o' hundred rounds or so at a match. If you don't like it just pull it off the gun.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been using skateboard tape for years with no problem and a great grip. I prefer it to the other forms of non-skid tape available because it is thinner and conforms to the shape of the grip more easily.

Try marine grade non-slip. Not quite as abrasive as "skate" tape, with stronger adhesive and a bit easier to mold to contours of your firearm. Available at West Marine in different sizes/rolls

Pachmyr grips are an option and look a lot better than tape; I used them for several years. They have two draw backs. The first affects only those with small hands as they slightly increase the size of the grip. The second is that these rubber grips stick to your hand. This makes it difficult to alter your grip should you get a bad grab on the pistol on the draw. Tape, checkering, and stippling do not have this problem.

Try marine grade non-slip.

Wish I had read this earlier. I was killing time sitting outside while the wife shopped; staring through the windows of Boat World in Hyannis!

Simple answer as to why: I want a better grip on a Browning HiPower. Just getting used to it on a hot day at the range I can feel sweet interfering with the grip. I can only imaging it would be a problem while running-n-gunning at an IDPA match. Has nice checkering on the grips, but perfectly smoother front and rear backstraps. And I don't' want to spend a whole lot of money on a Packmyer grip I've never had a chance to feel before.

This weekend I rounded up a few samples of things I might want to use. I'm going to experiment with them all. I'll post results when I get a chance.

I think one thing I found at Monnick Supply might be close to the stuff Executive was talking about. They had 3 different levels of coarseness for their anti-skid tape. The roughest is the stuff everyone is talking about (I think, as it is what Home Depot sells). The "smoothest" of them is just bumpy and didn't feel like it would help much. But the middle grade feels like it will really enhance the grip without leaving me with raw fingers.

Another interesting find? Got kids with footsies on the bottom of their pajamas? Well that rubber non-skid material on the bottom of the feet can be bought in sheets at craft stores! But I'm wondering how to glue it on without leaving a gooey mess.

cheers,
Chuck

Last edited:
How coincidental that you mention "skate tape".

Just last week while I was on vacation, my stepson put some of that on the sides of my grandson's motocross motorcycle up where his knees grip the tank. It worked great but the first four laps around the track it wore three inch holes through the pig skin patches of his riding pants. I think it would be much too abrasive for use on a gun. A glove, cloth friction tape or one of the many rubberized grips on the market might be a better choice.

Again, I am using the tread tape from Home Depot. My hands do not end up raw from a range session. If the grip of your pistol is moving around enough to give you abrasions enough to leave your hands raw, you have bigger problems than how aggresive the tape you use is.

To tell you the truth, I've seen some front straps that were so nicely checkered that the points of the checkering hurt more that what this tread tape feels like.

Back
Top Bottom