single stage die adjustment

ochmude

Marine Veteran
I've been reloading on a 550B for awhile now, but recently acquired a used Lee single stage. I haven't yet had the opportunity to set everything up or even mount it on my bench, but there is a question that occurred to me that has been nagging at me all day. I understand that with a single stage you have to swap out your dies for each stage of production (big no duh there). Prior to doing some actual reloading, you have to adjust your dies to correct heights for bell, crimp, seating depth, etc. Now when I got my Dillon it took me a few "throw away" rounds to get everything just right. Do I have to do that each and every time I swap dies in a single stage? Do you use some loctite on the rings or something to keep having to readjust them every time you switch to a different stage of production? I tried a search, but came up with nadda.

If you can get a Hornady Lock and Load bushing set for that press, then you can set dies in a bushing and only twist the bushing out to changes, without changing your die setting. I have that on my RockChucker, but I don't know if the Lee has that ability in the threading. If not look into a RockChucker and add a Hornady bushing system.

Otherwise, I think you can get split die nuts with set screws. You adjust your dies to the setting you want, tighten the set screw in the nut and then remove the die without changing the setting. I have no experience with that way of doing it. I think the locking nut would come from Forster (?),

Last edited:
Lee has their own version of the L-N-L system now, I forget what they call it.

I have a Hornady single stage that uses the L-N-L bushings. Hornady also makes nuts similar to the rings that GTO Shooter linked, and RCBS makes nuts with a set screw to lock them in place.

Even without all that, you shouldn't wreck any cases setting up the dies.

The Lee "Breech Lock" press has bushings that are used for quick die changes. The Lee "Classic" press has threads and each die must be screwed in every time. The adjustments can be done relatively fast once you become comfortable switching them out.

I don't know if I'm understanding your question completely, but here's my take on it.

I'll use a 3 die set for .357/.38sp as an example.

The depriming/resizing die won't have to be reset when changing between .357 and .38sp. The cases are the same except for overall length.

The belling die will have to be reset when switching between the two different calibers. I don't know of an easy way to reset it. I read somewhere that you can use several large washers that fit over the die body between the locking ring on the die and the top of the press. You would set the die for the shorter case and use the right combination of washers to raise it out of the press for the longer cases. I simply picked up a second set of used dies and set one belling die for .38sp and the other for .357.

The bullet seating/crimping die can be reset fairly easily. You will need to make up some dummy rounds (no primer/powder) for each caliber using the different bullets that you will be reloading. Once you have the die set for that particular caliber and bullet put the dummy round aside in a safe place. You can then use it to reset the die for that combination by loosening the die lock ring and bullet seating stem and using the dummy round to adjust them. If you add a new bullet to your reloading inventory you'll have to spend a few minutes setting up a new dummy round, but it's a one time job. These will also come in handy for when you disassemble the die for cleaning.

I use the crossbolt locking rings like GTOShootr mentioned on all my seating dies. It makes it much easier if you do have to loosen them for adjustment and it won't chew up the die threads like some locking rings will. Here's another link to the Forster rings in a bulk pack of 12. They're about $4 cheaper if you have a C&R license on file with Midway. [grin]

If you look at the back of my reloading bench you can see my dummy cases. They're mounted on short finishing nails with the heads snipped off. The nails fit right up through the flash holes in the cases. That way they're always handy and don't go missing.

Reloading%20Bench%2006.JPG

If I've misunderstood your question, my apologies. [grin] Have fun reloading!

Thanks for the replies everyone. It's a Lee classic that I've got, and doesn't have any sort of removable bushing that I could replace with either the LnL conversion or the Breech Lock conversion. Those Foster lock rings look like they might do the trick, though. Basically I'm looking for repeatability in positioning my dies at the exact same height every time I load. I tried using dummy rounds, but for some reason I still seem to get some variation, especially with the bullet seating die. Probably just need to perfect my technique, though, or get new calipers, lol. Anyway, thanks again to everyone.

The RCBS dies I have have lock rings (for the top part) and set screws for
"depth" on the main ring. When I throw them in my rockchucker I never have
to change them at all unless I need to use a different style bullet, etc.

-Mike

If you can get a Hornady Lock and Load bushing set for that press, then you can set dies in a bushing and only twist the bushing out to changes, without changing your die setting. I have that on my RockChucker, but I don't know if the Lee has that ability in the threading. If not look into a RockChucker and add a Hornady bushing system.

Otherwise, I think you can get split die nuts with set screws. You adjust your dies to the setting you want, tighten the set screw in the nut and then remove the die without changing the setting. I have no experience with that way of doing it. I think the locking nut would come from Forster (?),

I use the Hornady LNL on a Lee Classic press.

Thanks for the replies everyone. It's a Lee classic that I've got, and doesn't have any sort of removable bushing that I could replace with either the LnL conversion or the Breech Lock conversion. Those Foster lock rings look like they might do the trick, though. Basically I'm looking for repeatability in positioning my dies at the exact same height every time I load. I tried using dummy rounds, but for some reason I still seem to get some variation, especially with the bullet seating die. Probably just need to perfect my technique, though, or get new calipers, lol. Anyway, thanks again to everyone.

You have to unscrew the bushing that is in your press now and then you put the Hornady LNL bushing in which allows you to use the Hornady LNL system.

You have to unscrew the bushing that is in your press now and then you put the Hornady LNL bushing in which allows you to use the Hornady LNL system.

There is no bushing in the press that I can see. It appears to be an older Lee classic that didn't have a removable bushing. The threads are cut directly into the frame of the press. I checked Lee's website last night and couldn't even find a picture or reference to this particular style. I'll post a pic if I can, but it won't be until at least tomorrow night...working till midnight tonight and all day tomorrow.

All dies come with a locking method of some sort. Most have a pinch ring. Lee uses an "o" ring. If you dedicating the dies for use in this press, once you set and lock them, every time you screw them back in they are preset except for depth if you change bullet configuration or weight.

There is no bushing in the press that I can see. It appears to be an older Lee classic that didn't have a removable bushing. The threads are cut directly into the frame of the press. I checked Lee's website last night and couldn't even find a picture or reference to this particular style. I'll post a pic if I can, but it won't be until at least tomorrow night...working till midnight tonight and all day tomorrow.

As far as I know there is only one classic press and it is the one of cast iron. It is the Lee Classic Cast Press. I bought mine around the time they first came out. You need a wrench or socket that is 1 5/16 inches for the hex bushing. On the front page of the manual at the top it shows the bushing I am talking about. It says Hex bushing BP2979.
If you don't have this than I believe you have a different press.

If you want to save your adjustment then just put another locking nut on top of the
nut that you use to lock down your die. You should then be able to loosen and tighten
the die in the press without altering the adjustment.

press

the cat shows a lee classic has the insert.you sure you have the lee classic??
go to lees site and check.I have the latest cat.I personaly think the single stage is obsolete except for cetain uses.the removable turret is much better.
and the LNL is an answer for a press that cant be made in removable turret.
[rolleyes][smile]

Well I stopped by Cabelas this weekend and picked up some of those Forster lock rings. I setup my dies with those and that definitely did the trick. I worked up a few different loads of .45 ACP with a couple of different powders I have and grouped them at the range yesterday. I have to say, my Dillon is definitely faster at cranking out rounds, but reloading single stage is a lot more fun, even if it is "obsolete" [wink]. Just to respond to everyone, it might not be the Classic press. All I can say is this, it's a Lee press, it's not a cast iron frame, and it doesn't have the breech lock system or removable bushings. A picture of the exact press can be found on the 6th edition of The ABC's of Reloading, as seen here. I know it's also in the 7th edition of The ABC's of Reloading. It's not on the cover, though (that's a cast press). It's actually in the book if you look in the section that shows step-by-step pictures of the handgun cartridge reloading process. I'd post pictures of my actual press, but they look like complete crap because my digital camera doesn't seem to be working very well since spending time in the desert.

I that looks like a Lee Challenger press, before they added the breech lock system. I have one - nice press, not a lot to go wrong on it. Mine sees a lot of use, even with the 550b sitting right next to it.

Obsolete? [rofl] Not yet, it's not.

Back
Top Bottom