• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sig Sauer Short Reset Trigger (SRT) kits

jasons

NES Life Member
NES Member
It seems that there has been a lot of confusion over the Sig SRT kits, so I thought it might be good to clear some stuff up here. The following information is as of November 7th, 2010 and is subject to change at any time.

1. As of November 7th 2010 there are THREE (3) SRT kits available to Sig certified armorers. These are the P220 kit, the P226/P229 kit, and the P239 kit. The P220 kit ~should~ also work with the P245 and the P226/P229 kit ~should~ work with the P6 / P225 / P228, but they are not ~officially~ supported.
  2. The current version of the Sig P226 / P229 kit consists of a new sear and safety lever ONLY. Other kits include other parts listed below, but the safety lever and sear are IDENTICAL between kits. Once again, the sear and safety lever are the same across all three kits. If you're looking to convert a P226 and you can only find a P220 kit you'll be fine, you'll just have a spare P220 SRT decocking lever in your spare parts drawer. Same deal with a P239 kit only it'll be a spare trigger bar spring.
  3. The current version of the Sig P220 kit includes a new decocking lever as well as the new sear and safety lever. The OLD version of the kit had a different sear instead of a decocking lever, but apparently that kit has not been shipped in a long time.
  4. The current version of the Sig P239 kit includes a new trigger bar spring as well as the new sear and safety lever. The trigger bar spring is similar but NOT the same as the P226/P229 new style "curly" spring. It's about 1/2 an inch longer... Unfortunately I don't have a P239 handy to compare the difference with any more specificity. (Feel free to send me one. [wink])

Here are some pictures. You can see the difference between the SRT (left) and non SRT (right) sear and safety levers in the first three. The fourth picture is the P220, P226/P229, and P239 kits as shipped from Sig. Please note that, according to Sig corporate dogma, SRT kits should only be installed by Sig Sauer certified armorers.

mayflower to wedding and more (fall 09 -10) 506.jpg mayflower to wedding and more (fall 09 -10) 503.jpg mayflower to wedding and more (fall 09 -10) 501.jpg mayflower to wedding and more (fall 09 -10) 508.JPG
(Click on the pictures to enlarge.)

Here are some close-ups of the p220 SRT and non-SRT decocker. ONLY the p220 kit comes with a new decocker.
IMG_2522.jpg

IMG_2516.jpg

IMG_2513.jpg

IMG_2512.jpg

IMG_2509.jpg

IMG_2508.jpg

For those interested in the mechanics of how these work, in a nutshell:
  • With the non-SRT system the safety lever would reset itself whenever the disconnecter pushed the trigger bar down. (Note the "shelf" that sticks out at a 90 degree angle and catches on the tigger bar.) Resetting the trigger would involve resetting the trigger bar AND the safety lever. The trigger bar reset is only 1/8th of an inch or so, but the safety lever is about another 1/4" on top of that.
  • With the SRT system the safety lever stays engaged as long as the trigger is pulled regardless of the position of the disconnecter / trigger bar. (Note that the "shelf" on the non-SRT safety lever is now on the SRT sear.) This means that the reset involves the trigger bar only and NOT the safety lever as before. Since the bulk of the original reset travel is the safety lever, eliminating this step reduces the reset considerably (60% or so.)

NOTE: The difference between the SRT and non-SRT is not apparent unless you have the slide installed OR unless you're manually resetting the safety lever. With the slide off there's no firing pin safety spring to push down on the the safety lever so there's no safety lever reset!

Last edited:
It's really too bad that SIG makes the SRT available only to LE. They are starting to act like HK and that sucks! There is absolutely no reason that the SRT shouldn't be sold to civilians.

They used to make them available to any Sig armorer who wanted them, but a few jacknobbers would buy a dozen kits, mark them way up, and sell them on gun broker with no instructions so unfortunately they had to shut that down. Basically they're just trying to make sure that a certified armorer actually installs them rather than just some guy who buys the parts on the internet. An improperly installed SRT kit could result in an unsafe gun, which could be bad for their reputation.

They are still available to non-LEO armorers but they're very strict about how they sell them. I agree that it sucks, but I can see where they're coming from.

EDIT: Of course in free states a civilian can buy a new Sig with an SRT pre-installed from any dealer. Unfortunately in our happy Commiewealth of Massachusetts SRT guns are not approved by our benevolent overlords. [angry]

Last edited:
I live in the Sturbridge area and would like to find a Sig Armorer so I can get an SRT installed in my P229. Can you help? Is there a list of Sig Armorers somewhere I could look at?

Last edited:
I live in the Sturbridge area and would like to find a Sig Armorer so I can get an SRT installed in my P229. Can you help? Is there a list of Sig Armorers somewhere I could look at?

You can always send it directly to sig. It costs ~$100 to install the SRT, plus S&H. I don't know what a local armorer would cost, but would be interested if you find something out.

Guns & gear in Agawam (I know, not real close) Chris and Judith are Sig Armorers. Maybe they can help you out.

168 Elm Stree St Agawam, MA.
In house gunsmith!
Guns built, bought, sold and traded.
Airsoft guns and supplies.
Store hours:
T-W-F 12-8, Thur 4-8, Sat 10-5
Off hours by appointment
413-786-0100

They used to make them available to any Sig armorer who wanted them, but a few jacknobbers would buy a dozen kits, mark them way up, and sell them on gun broker with no instructions so unfortunately they had to shut that down. Basically they're just trying to make sure that a certified armorer actually installs them rather than just some guy who buys the parts on the internet. An improperly installed SRT kit could result in an unsafe gun, which could be bad for their reputation.

They are still available to non-LEO armorers but they're very strict about how they sell them. I agree that it sucks, but I can see where they're coming from.

I can't, and I think their decision is completely inane. IMHO the reason they do this kind of crap is because they want people to buy new guns instead of retrofitting the old ones. Every gun retrofitted is one less sale for them.

Sig used to go full retard about sending DAK parts to MA, too. [thinking] although it really depended, at the time, who you got a hold of in service and what parts you asked for.

-Mike

It seems that there has been a lot of confusion over the Sig SRT kits, so I thought it might be good to clear some stuff up here.

Jason, thanks for posting all the details and pictures. There is a lot of confusion on this topic on the net, part of the problem was Sig's own marketing of the short trigger, which I seem to recall they used to call the SRT - but I could be wrong there. In any event, I've been waiting for the 226/9 to come in stock but given this info I ordered the 220 kit and it was exactly as you described. Parts dropped right in, and now I have a spare decocking lever. I did the short trigger at the same time, and it's like heaven now.

for installation in LEO guns only.
Sigh. Some animals are more equal than others.

Please note that SRT kits should only be installed by Sig Sauer certified armorers.
Oops. In all honesty if you're paying attention it's pretty hard to screw up. Having the armorer's video helps too. This might be a good option if you can't find someone to install the kit on mere non-LEO guns.

Sigh. Some animals are more equal than others.

Thank our overly litigious culture. It's just not worth it for me personally to do these for some shmoe who might shoot his own balls off and then decide to sue me. Of course, given that we're still living in a (semi) free society I'm allowed to work, or not, with whoever I want. [grin]

I haven't had these in a while anyway. I don't make it up to Exeter very often these days.

This kit combined with the short trigger turned my Sig 239 into a completely different animal and easily one of my favorite compact firearms. I noticed an increased in accuracy and much more comfortable follow up shots immediately after doing the modification. If I buy another Sig, it's going to get the same kit again.

SRT kits are available to the general public from a couple of sources. Check the SIG forum. One thing to consider, with the SRT trigger the firing pin safety is deactivated as long as you hold the trigger to the rear. This means that there is nothing to prevent the pistol from doubling should the sear fail to catch the hammer.

SIG in NH will install the SRT kit for a reasonable price (about $100, I think) and will do an action job for about $200, not a bad price. I almost went this route, but paid big bucks ($450) to Bruce Gray of GGI for his competition trigger job on my 226 in 9mm. Gray's design allows the firing pin block to reset after each shot so the gun won't double. He also changes the geometry of the trigger system to yield an extremely light DA and SA trigger, with an internal over travel stop. I actually had to have him send me another sear to increase the trigger pull a little. Bruce's work isn't cheap, but it is top notch and he guarantees his trigger jobs for life.

SIG makes a great pistol, I love mine, but I think the trigger design is seriously flawed. All this trigger work we are discussing is to remedy a reset problem that is non-existent in other designs. Both the 1911 and the S&W 5906 have a zero reset from the factory. As I said, I love my 226, but I think the S&W 5906 is a superior pistol as delivered by the manufacturer.

Back
Top Bottom