Show me or tell me about your .45 bullseye guns

What do you guys/gals use for your red dot mounts on your .45 1911 style bullseye guns? Do you drill and tap the slide for the mount or use a "grip panel" type mount? Pics would help, I'm building a 1911 now and would like some of your thoughts. Thanks!

I had a Weaver rail installed on the slide of my Gold Cup and use a Match Dot Ultra Dot on it. The Ultra Dots come with a lifetime guarantee, so if it doesn't survive the beating it takes being mounted on the slide I can just get another one. My understanding is that mounting on the slide is currently considered the best way to put a dot sight on a 1911, but perhaps Greg Derr will jump in to confirm that or offer a better way.

Pic of my Bullseye guns:
137_3754.jpg

Last edited:
On my optic sighted 1911's, I used scope mounts that are attached to the frame. Three or four holes drilled and tapped into the dust cover area.

Thanks for the responses.[grin] I felt that frame/slide mounting was probably the better method, but most of the guys I shoot bullseye with, have the Aimpoint or BSquare grip panel mounts. (cheaper/quicker). Dick, nice gaggle of pistols you have there.[grin]

Back
Top Bottom