Should I reload? Borderline

So I'm a very DIY type of person. I think I would really enjoy reloading but I have a few reservations:

I currently own 3 glocks.
Glock doesn't recommend shooting reloads. I don't know whether people heed their recommendation or not.

I also have 3 1911's all in 45 ACP.
I have an M4A3 in .223

Do you guys reload for your Glocks?

Otherwise I'd only be reloading .45 and possibly .223.

I have started to go shooting every Wed at Harvard Sportsman for IPSC stuff. Trying to learn.

I see on here that many people use the Dillan 550. Any other units that are well priced for the functionality?

I think the issue with Glocks is not reloads in and of themselves, but I understand Glock recommends against shooting lead in their barrels. Lots of people I know with Glocks that reload seem to buy an aftermarket barrel to shoot lead bullets.

On a press, if you're only reloading two calibers, I'd agree that a Dillon would be hard to beat. I and others on here own Hornady Lock n Load progressives and single stages, and have had very good luck with them also.

I reload lead for all 3 of my glocks. I dial the loads back 15% or so and use Outers Foul Out

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=243419

to remove the lead from all of my guns, 1911's included. My rule of thumb is to keep the lead velocity low and only push jacketed bullets towards the maximum.

The joy of reloading is not only saving money but also creating custom loads that make shooting more enjoyable. I've found commercial reloads to be to light and full load jhp's not fun to shoot in great quantity.

Check out these books: http://www.loadbooks.com/

If you are going to shoot with the USPSA (or IDPA) crowd then, do to the volume of shooting you are likely to be doing, reloading is a very good idea.

Try to get a good idea on what you really want to do and then step into the "my press is best" agument.

One piece of advice I'd give you right now is don't try to save money by buying less press then you are likely to need down the road.

I'd be happy to give you my opinion, both pro and con, on the Dillon 650 should you like.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Do you guys reload for your Glocks?

If you're going to reload brass shot in a Glock, I recommend that you get an undersized resizing die from Evolution Gun Works. It'll take care of the "Glock bulge". There are also a variety of aftermarket barrels (I use one from Lone Wolf Distributors) which will both prevent the brass from bulging and allow you to shoot lead.

What calibers are your Glocks?

Funny thing about the lead, out of the major manufactures that use polygonal rifling, only Glock warns against shooting it.....

BTW, I shoot my reloads through my glock.

If you are going to shoot a lot or are planning on becoming a MUCH better shooter then you NEED to reload. You will not only save money but the quality of your ammo will be much better and you can fine tune it to work specific loads for specific guns. Having the ability to use different bullet weights, powders, and powder weights will give you so much flexibility. Ask anyone that is serious about shooting and I can gaurantee that they reload.

Pete

If you're doing USPSA you'll get sucked into reloading eventually. I never thought I would and got hit big with it last year.

If you're just loading one caliber of pistol, I'm a Square Deal fan in part because of the auto indexing which the 550 doesn't have. That said, if you want to load more than one caliber or load rifle go with the 550 or 650.

And reloading is a lot more fun that I thought it would be. I find it very relaxing.

Oh, you'll like your hand loads much better than any manufactured ammunition you'll want to pay for.

Yeah, you want to reload - even for the Glocks. If you shoot just 200 rounds/week of .45 ACP, you're likely to pay back your initial investment in a little over a year.

I put aftermarket barrels (KKM Precision) in all my Glocks. Not only can you shoot lead, but the accuracy improves and the "Glock Bulge" disappears (because of the better chamber support).

Another benefit of reloading is that you no longer have to "fear" any caliber. I'll think nothing of buying a .44 Special, 10mm, .41 Magnum, etc., because I know that it's not going to cost any more to feed those than it will to feed a .45 ACP.

If you ever get into big bore magnum revolvers, reloading is a must, unless you're rich enough to pay over $2 per shot.

Thanks for the advice guys.
I have 9mm, 45 and 40 Glocks. Hopefully selling my .45 ACP but I still have a few 1911's that will use it.

I think I'll take the plunge. I am considering reloading rifle so maybe the 550 or 650.

Last edited:
I think I'll take the plunge. I am considering reloading rifle so maybe the 550 or 650.---
I'm a Dillon guy, but Eddie Coyle makes a good case for the Hornady L-N-L.

Respectfully,

jkelly

I'd recommend the 550 over the 650 for anyone who wants to load a variety of calibers, especially if both large and small primers are involved. The 650 is more of a pain to change over.

I'm a Dillon guy, but Eddie Coyle makes a good case for the Hornady L-N-L.

Respectfully,

jkelly

There are WAY too many issues going on with the L-N-L. Everyone that I know that didn't want to spend the money on a Dillon and bought the L-N-L has been disappointed. Too many problems with it. Hopefully in another year the bugs will be refined and it will be a great press...

I say get the 650 if you can afford it.

As a LnL owner for well over a year, I respectfully disagree with this assessment.

A simple search of these forums and you'll find several topics of problems with this press. Plus, talking with a lot of USPSA shooters that are using this press are having many problems with it. Like I said it will be a good press when they get the problems worked out.

In the mean time I would get a Dillon. All the top USPSA shooters are using a Dillon for a reason.

Back
Top Bottom