• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shotguns for Sporting Clays

Any chance we can bring this thread back and maybe change topics to sporting clays?

What is a quality O/U anyone could recommend for sporting clays? My father prefers the O/U, I'd prefer to get an auto loader though. What's everyone is everyone's opinion?

Anything that fits you, physicaly and mentally.

Sporting clays is a more "dynamic" sport, and some courses are in the "back woods", so a nice, long-barreled specialzed Trap gun is likely not the best.

Sporting Clays is not my sport, but I have to say, that going out on the course with my son, each of us with a Parker double was way cool.

If you like an auto, go for it. COnfidence in the gun is the most important thing.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Go with a Remington 1100 or an 11/87. Good versatile gun that can be had for well under $500. Not only can you use it for both hunting and shotgun sports, but you're not out hundreds more if you go buy a nice over/under and decide trap isn't your thing.

That's what someone recommended to me when I asked the same question; just passing along those words of wisdom.

I think you should buy the most expensive gun you can find

Sink 10 to 20K into a Perazzi, or a Kolar, or some such thing

At least then, you know you have the best money can buy, and all your misses will be YOUR FAULT

In all seriousness ........... go, participate, see what others are shooting, hold them, try them, ask a lot of questions THEN decide for yourself whats best for you.

So many people ask me what they should buy, I never make a recommendation other than that above unless they insist.

If I'm REALLY pushed, then I'll tell them to either buy a Beretta 391 semi auto, or a Browning over/under. At least with that advice I know their money will be well spent, and the value will always be there.

Saigas are shitty guns for sporting clays or any clay game.

Get a Beretta autoloader (A300, A391, A400) or a Browning Citori or Beretta 686 if you want an O/U.

I take exception with part of that.

While its hardly competition grade, I can hold my own with the Saiga on the skeet field. How else can you shoot a double, double, with a single on report. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take a look at O/U's with a sporting designation, not field. Watch out for cheap O/U (mossburg silver reserve) in that barrels are often poorly regulated, they don't have the same point of aim. You can't go wrong with a Browning Citori, Cynergy or a Beretta 686. Kittery trading post often has them for sale used in the $2K range and they can be found for $3K new. As Mister Happy says try before you buy to make sure it fits your body type. You will need a variety of chokes Skeet, IC and Light Mod being the most popular for sporting clay.

If you don't have a shotgun already to go out and try sporting clays. Try and find someone who will let you borrow one or several types. I have only shot the Plymouth gun clubs and Pembroke 5 stand. I used either my 1100 or my citori xt "trap " gun.
TRAP GUNS : ideally trap guns are set up to shoot high or a built in verticle lead. Also trap guns tend to be longer and heavier.The target is always going away from you and riseing. I really know my trap gun so I can do well enough with it to have fun at sporting clays.
SKEET GUNS : tend to be shorter and lighter with more open chokes. Again the targets are a know flight path.
SPORTING CLAYS : to me is more like hunting. When I go hunting I love my 870 or Stevens 311 sxs. Niether is fun for sporting clays, not that I cant smother the clays. Itself just that the Stevens is to light and 25-50 rounds later it makes you a bit punch drunk almost. 870 well its a pump not so much fun missing doubles more often.
So you got to find something that has all this tied into one.
my choices would be
Remington 1100 with adjustable comb and screw in chokes
Browning XT O/U with adjustable comb. Most browning's are some what "flat" shooters.
As for chokes, don't get to tied upxwith that just yet. There hasn't been a target I have not smashed with a modified choke. If your putting lead on target all but most distant targets should crumble.
with any moveing target shooting the shot gun has to shoot where you are looking. Gun fit is key. Don't get to hung up on sights. There used to be a article by remington. All about the mid bead.,...basically its a gun fit tool. Not a alignment device. Your eyes are the rear sight. Seriously if we where sjpose to aim a shotgun. Why dothey give us such a short sight radius.
Go have fun borrow some guns.

My best rounds of either Sporting Clays or Modern Skeet have always been when I used my friend's Browning XT. Yes, it's a Trap gun, but it works best for me. Most likely because it fits. I just bought a Trap gun of my own but have yet to try it out. Bean's has 5-Stand every Tuesday, so I think I'll go down there and give it a shot.

I take exception with part of that.

While its hardly competition grade, I can hold my own with the Saiga on the skeet field. How else can you shoot a double, double, with a single on report. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, since you asked.
100_2268.jpg

I shot 5 doubles for my Top Shot entry video with it. [grin]

As for O/U, I've come to like Lanber. They're not very common, but a great value gun if you can find one. I also will note the importance of having a shotgun that fits properly. If you have the opportunity, shoulder and shoot as many different guns as you can.

If you don't have a shotgun already to go out and try sporting clays. Try and find someone who will let you borrow one or several types. I have only shot the Plymouth gun clubs and Pembroke 5 stand. I used either my 1100 or my citori xt "trap " gun.
TRAP GUNS : ideally trap guns are set up to shoot high or a built in verticle lead. Also trap guns tend to be longer and heavier.The target is always going away from you and riseing. I really know my trap gun so I can do well enough with it to have fun at sporting clays.
SKEET GUNS : tend to be shorter and lighter with more open chokes. Again the targets are a know flight path.
SPORTING CLAYS : to me is more like hunting. When I go hunting I love my 870 or Stevens 311 sxs. Niether is fun for sporting clays, not that I cant smother the clays. Itself just that the Stevens is to light and 25-50 rounds later it makes you a bit punch drunk almost. 870 well its a pump not so much fun missing doubles more often.
So you got to find something that has all this tied into one.
my choices would be
Remington 1100 with adjustable comb and screw in chokes
Browning XT O/U with adjustable comb. Most browning's are some what "flat" shooters.
As for chokes, don't get to tied upxwith that just yet. There hasn't been a target I have not smashed with a modified choke. If your putting lead on target all but most distant targets should crumble.
with any moveing target shooting the shot gun has to shoot where you are looking. Gun fit is key. Don't get to hung up on sights. There used to be a article by remington. All about the mid bead.,...basically its a gun fit tool. Not a alignment device. Your eyes are the rear sight. Seriously if we where sjpose to aim a shotgun. Why dothey give us such a short sight radius.
Go have fun borrow some guns.

International skeet guns may be lighter.

American skeet guns trend towards heavier and longer.

Use my Browning Ultra Sporter for skeet, trap or sporting clays. 28" barrels and just change the chokes.

Avoid the Stoeger, I bought one new for under $400 last fall. The forend just split so it's back to the factory to ge refitted with a new one. It's not an uncommon problem with that gun as it only has one screw on the forend (most others have 2)and the release lever is only 3/16 from the screw. that 3/16 is only wood and it's the weak point. I just bought a used Browning Citori.

I have both a Perazzi O/Us and Beretta O/Us in 12 and 28 gauges. Both make good S/C guns. I used to shoot 600-1000 a week and then had a vision problem. Had to stop sporting clays.

If you are going to shoot S/Cs only occasionally, most O/U will do the job. You can get into the game at a lower capital investment if you go with an autoloader. I liked the Beretta autoloader (I think it was a 393) built specifically for S/Cs when I was shooting.

YMMV

Heavythumb

Terrible, you're only allowed to load enough shells for the targets presented, which is no more than two at a time, unless you're shooting report doubles in Skeet, which isn't even allowed other than for fun...
You're length of pull will be too short with a sporter stock and you'll want a minimum of 28 inch barrels with the ability to change choke constriction.
Most guys shoot doubles barrels because you can run two different chokes at once, for close and far shots. Most of the time you'll have a close crosser, or an away from you style trap shot or a way out crosser going the other direction. Having the ability to to run say, an improved cylinder and a modified or improved modified for reaching out gives you so much more flexibility.
If money is an issue, there are plenty of used 1100's, sx3's, and Beretta 391's for auto loaders and decent SKB, lanbers and citoris for less than a grand.
THE MOST IMPORTANT CONCERN IS THAT THE GUN FIT YOU! You could spend $10,000 on a Kriegoff or Blaser, but if it doesn't fit, you'll never break clays.

Sent from my EVO3D while driving...

The Remington 1100, how adjustable is it in the stock? I shot a Beretta semi-auto last weekend that was a bit larger than a browning semi-auto that was too small for me, my eye was pretty close to my thumb. Being 6' 3" some guns are small for me it seems. Here's a the kicker though. I'm a lefty that is left eye dominant. Who sells a lefty model of their semi-autos?

I am trying my best to get out to different clubs and try different guns. So far people have been really helpful, which is awesome.

It could be as simple as adding a spacer behind the butt pad.
Most autos that I'm aware of aren't cast off for righties, they have a neutral stock, so shooting lefty shouldn't be an issue.

People DO shoot automatics in both sporting clays and skeet. Heck, I've seen people shoot PUMP guns in skeet (and shoot them well). But by FAR it's most common in both disciplines to shoot an over and under.

The reason for this is (a) you only ever load two shells (so the auto isn't an advantage there), and (b) you can get a tube set for an O/U that'll let you shoot all 4 gauges in competition with a single gun. Having one gun to shoot all the gauges (12, 20, 28, and 410) is a big plus.

Also, an O/U is a *much* simpler and more reliable gun. Waaaay less to go wrong than with an automatic. Simple is good.

So, really, an O/U is the way to go. PLUS, it's WAY easier to collect your shells from an O/U so you can reload :)

People DO shoot automatics in both sporting clays and skeet. Heck, I've seen people shoot PUMP guns in skeet (and shoot them well). But by FAR it's most common in both disciplines to shoot an over and under.

The reason for this is (a) you only ever load two shells (so the auto isn't an advantage there), and (b) you can get a tube set for an O/U that'll let you shoot all 4 gauges in competition with a single gun. Having one gun to shoot all the gauges (12, 20, 28, and 410) is a big plus.

X2 I have a set of 20g briley tubes for my SKB and love it! Got the whole shabang for $600. With a case.

Back
Top Bottom