• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shotgun primers (209)

FLHTC

NES Member
When loading shotgun shells for target shooting, does it matter if you substitute one manufacturer of primers for another? my recipe calls for Winchester 209, someone gave me a supply of Chedite and CCI 209's. Their is no published data that I can find that suggests its okay to use. I suspect its okay because the loads are low (1150 fps). Any help would be appreciated.

Substitutions can effect ultimate chamber pressure.

In other words, if all other variables were held constant (hull, wad, powder, shot weight), swapping primers could result in one load firing off at 9,800 psi while the other reaching 10,500 psi.

If you are working with a near max pressure load, it can be a concern. If your running your loads through a tube set, it is absolutely a concern.

Thread revived for a related question that doesn't deserve it's own thread:

A load recipe I'm looking at calls for Remington 209p primers. Are these vastly different than a regular 209 primer? Is this just a name brand designation?

Thanks Sparkey.

One more ?: Is there a 209 primer that works better in Remington Gun Club hulls than another? I was told pretty much any 209 but wanted to ask here too.

I like the cheddite primers I load Remington STS or Gun club
I have never had any problems with primers but I find the STS run a little better thur my press
I buy what ever is cheap or in stock
Heritage Gun and coin in RI is a good place to check out for shotgun reloading supplies

209 primers will fit 209 primed shells.
Some shells primer pocket doesn't hold up as well as others to multiple reloads.

As for data. The data I have list several primers for the same powder/wad/charge weights or really close in data but list different chamber psi. Some are much higher with simular powder charges.
I use powder manufacture data for shotshell. I also load some pretty tame loads. Even back to the 20 yard line. I really don't have any real proof I do better with heavy loads at the 27 yard line. I shoot about the same no matter what I use......not very good.

As mentioned if your pushing the higher ends of load data it can make a difference as can just changing primer manufacture .
A quick look
12g 1 1/8oz shot remington gun club shell , fig8 wad with a CCI primer with 16.8 grains of clays list 7400psi the closest load is only 1 tenth of a grain more with a federal 209 list at 10k psi.
I don't thing the .1 grain brought it up 2600psi? But what do I know. Maybe the manufactures are blowing smoke up are butts?

Last edited:
There are metric primers for the foreign cases like Fiocci and Rio etc. I believe the 209 primers are loose in those cases.

If you're loading super magnum, top of the scale, peel open the end of your barrel loads then you might want to stick to the primer specified by the load chart you are using. If you are loading target or game bird loads I wouldn't be too concerned about the primer brand. If you're loading for a semi auto the primer might make the difference in reliable cycling of your action however.

Back
Top Bottom