1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Selling a pistol to a RI Resident (I'm in Ma)?

Discussion in 'Rhode Island Laws' started by chris_1001, May 23, 2017.

1. chris_1001

chris_1001 NES Member

I have a friend in RI that wants to buy a pistol of mine. He has a receiving dealer that said all I need to do is bring it to them and they will do the FFL transfer to him and give me a receipt.

I'm wondering if this is all good. I don't want to break any laws, Fed, RI, MA.

I know in a lot of instances I have heard was to have my FFL ship to their FLL.

And is it legal to transport a pistol into RI for the purpose of a sale?

Just want to cover my @$$.

Thx

2. cockpitbob

cockpitbob NES Member

Good job trying to make sure. Do your own reading as much as possible, but it's so convoluted with MA, RI and Fed laws, asking is good.
    I'm not certain about your other questions, but I'm pretty sure the answer here is "no". Below is from the NRA's guide to travelling with firearms. Since you can't legally poses the handgun in RI, you can't go to a destination within the state. You could pass through the state, but not terminate your trip within the state.

1 person likes this.
  3. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

Fed and MA law is OK with this.

FOPA is irrelevant in this case.

You need to read RI laws on WHERE a person can transport a handgun into RI without a RI license! Not my area of expertise, so I won't be giving you any advice other than to go to handgunlaw.us and follow the link to the RI law for this subject.

4. cockpitbob

cockpitbob NES Member

Good post.

Wow. The list of exceptions goes on forever. But it seems RI will allow you to bring it to the FFL.

5. chris_1001

chris_1001 NES Member

OK, that's good to read/learn.

The dealer did not make me feel better with the short "its OK" replies.

Thanks!

6. n1bsbri

n1bsbri NES Member

This. Good answer with the relevant cite of the statute.

7. EMTDAD

EMTDAD

The difference is that in RI, the legislature is a part time "volunteer" job with a rather meager stipend. here in MA, it's a freakin overpaid career. I expect a lot more from a bunch of attorneys making 150K/yr than a bunch of regular citizens making $15K/yr.

Granted.. looking at the RI laws, they're a freaking mess... and sheesh.. is there a reason why lawmakers cannot use bulleted lists rather than these extreme unending continuance of phrases linked by "ors" and "ands", etc.

8. Cuz

Cuz NES Member

Bumping this since it mentions "borrowing". So, for a father to lend a gun to his son would require a transfer through an FFL?

9. Jared

Jared

No, this is a myth. If one isn’t exempt from the waiting period, they can print out a background check form directly from 11-47-35 or 11-47-35.2 and send it to the PD where the transfer is.

Next, they will call you and say it wasn’t necessary for you to do this as “private sales are unregulated then just laugh, hang up, and on day 7, transfer the firearm.

But, yes, RI law would require a background check for “borrowing”. No one enforces it though.

10. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

Much like the fact that nobody seems to enforce the "transport" business either. I've never heard of someone getting in trouble in RI for simply having an unloaded gun stowed in their car without a "reason" for it
    being there.

-Mike