seller/buyer email address in classifieds?

Patriot

NES Member
Would it be possible for the mods to make it mandatory for anyone selling in the classifieds
to have a email address listed? It makes it difficult to contact a seller or buyer if they don't
check their PM's. Other forums make it mandatory for an email contact if you list something
for sale and I think it is a good idea.

I wouldn't post there if it were mandatory. There is a 'Send a email to....' that can be used if the seller has put their email addr/made it usable in their profile. You don't see it, but you can email them.

I wouldn't post there if it were mandatory. There is a 'Send a email to....' that can be used if the seller has put their email addr/made it usable in their profile. You don't see it, but you can email them.

A lot of the time they don't even do that. That would be the reason that I would like to see it done.
So that people that now post and don't check their PM's won't have that privilege unless they decide
to do more than just throw something up in the classifieds.

Last edited:
A lot of the time they don't even do that. That would be the reason that I would like to see it done.
So that people that now post and don't check their PM's won't have that privilege unless they decide
to do more than just throw something up in the classifieds.

a lot of the posts I see where people seem annoyed that the seller isn't answering are sellers with <10 posts, I think those are usually people who create an account just to sell something and once it sells they don't care any more.

Perhaps a new rule has to be added, that if you don't bump an item for a month, it gets deleted?

I disagree with this proposal. Many of us prefer to keep our email shielded. When someone sends me a PM, I get an e-mail notice and respond as soon as I can.

The lack of direct e-mail doesn't cause someone to be non-responsive. So your "solution" is not addressing the real problem.

I disagree with this proposal. Many of us prefer to keep our email shielded. When someone sends me a PM, I get an e-mail notice and respond as soon as I can.

The lack of direct e-mail doesn't cause someone to be non-responsive. So your "solution" is not addressing the real problem.

Yes it does. No contact other than PM, no ad. Simple, straightforward, and if people don't
want to advertise, so be it. Throwing an ad up there and checking it once a week, or never,
sucks for someone interested in it. Would you put an ad in a newspaper without a telephone
number? Far more intrusive than throwing your contact info in the classifieds while you are
advertising something for sale.

Boston Patriot: Sorry, but your "solution" doesn't address the problem. If you PM me, I get an e-mail. If you e-mailed me, guess what? I get an e-mail. If I'm unresponsive via PM (which comes to me via e-mail), why would I suddenly be responsive via e-mail?

There is effectively no distinction between PM and e-mail (except that the PM completely hides my e-mail address).

If a person is unresponsive then they are unresponsive. That has NOTHING to do with whether you are trying to contact them via e-mail or PM.

Boston Patriot: Sorry, but your "solution" doesn't address the problem. If you PM me, I get an e-mail. If you e-mailed me, guess what? I get an e-mail. If I'm unresponsive via PM (which comes to me via e-mail), why would I suddenly be responsive via e-mail?

There is effectively no distinction between PM and e-mail (except that the PM completely hides my e-mail address).

If a person is unresponsive then they are unresponsive. That has NOTHING to do with whether you are trying to contact them via e-mail or PM.

I don't think he's suggesting that sellers post their E-mail addresses openly in their listing, but that they have an E-mail address as part of their profile and accept E-mail from other members. You only get an E-mail in response to a PM because you've requested it. Other sellers might not have requested it, in which case an E-mail might be more efficient. Including an E-mail address in your profile and accepting E-mail from other members are both optional, not required. When you do include them, members can send you an E-mail the same way they would a PM without ever seeing your E-mail address.

Ken

I don't think he's suggesting that sellers post their E-mail addresses openly in their listing, but that they have an E-mail address as part of their profile and accept E-mail from other members. You only get an E-mail in response to a PM because you've requested it. Other sellers might not have requested it, in which case an E-mail might be more efficient. Including an E-mail address in your profile and accepting E-mail from other members are both optional, not required. When you do include them, members can send you an E-mail the same way they would a PM without ever seeing your E-mail address.

Ken

Exactly! Thanks for putting it in words.

If you list sometihg for sale, your email should be in your profile...

go to the smith and wesson forum classifieds, many times the seller
does not have an email in his profile.... its not a difficult...

if you want your eamil hidden, don't post in the classifieds....

or go to another forum...

JimB

if you want your eamil hidden, don't post in the classifieds....

or go to another forum...

JimB

...or we can just leave it the way it is now and not make the mods check even more useless crap.

If someone isn't answering PMs, what makes you guys think they'll get right back to you via email? Seriously.

If someone wants to sell something, it is in their best interest to check in once in a while, and to set their PM inbox to send an email when a new message is received. If a seller is too stupid or lazy to do that, do you really want to do business with him?

Also, I'm sure nobody here has a junk email account that they use when some place makes them give an email address when they sign up for something, right?

With that said, does anybody want to think up a method for us to make sure their email address is good, and that they check their mail? Oooh, oooh! How about, the mods take turns sending them emails, then time their responses. If they don't get back within two hours, we get rid of the ad! Yeah, that's it!

It'll be lots of work for the mods to check every poster's profile for an email address. In the end, there's no way to make them get back to you.

You guys sound like the people that propose gun laws. Think it through folks.

If somebody says, "It might not help, but it can't hurt" I'll ban you. I swear I will.

Last edited:
...or we can just leave it the way it is now and not make the mods check even more useless crap.

No mods need to check anything. It is more or less self-policing.

If someone isn't answering PMs, what the f*** makes you guys think they'll get right back to you via email? Seriously.

It's an easy answer. Most people check their email much more frequently.

If someone wants to sell something, it is in their best interest to check in once in a while, and to set their PM inbox to send an email when a new message is received. If a seller is too stupid or lazy to do that, do you really want to do business with him?

Is this a rhetorical question? [smile]

Also, I'm sure nobody here has a junk email account that they use when some place makes them give an email address when they sign up for something, right?

Bad strawman...

Does anybody want to think up some other brilliant way to make us find some way to make sure their email address is good and that they check their mail?

It's not yours to check. The only way any mod would get involved would be the same
way you would now if notified that someone hasn't adhered to the posting requirements.

It'll be lots of work for the mods to check every poster's profile for an email address. In the end, there's no way to make them get back to you.

You guys sound like the people that propose gun laws. Think it through folks.

Contrary to your knee-jerk response it has been thought through. I have seen it work and
it does work. Disparaging the OP (me) is OK, but please don't suggest that this is something
suggested cavalierly, it isn't so.

The Boston Patriot said:
Bad strawman...

Actually, it's not. It's spot on. If we impose an email requirement, what would prevent someone predisposed to hiding their real email from providing a junk account? I do it all the time and I'm sure many othere here do it too. [email protected] , spam away.

It's not yours to check. The only way any mod would get involved would be the same way you would now if notified that someone hasn't adhered to the posting requirements.

We get an average of one report every third day, yet we "fix" dozens of posts per day. There's no other way to enforce this, we would "get involved" and it will be a big pain in the ass for us.

What's the problem? Sellers aren't getting back to you fast enough?

TBP..

If somebody really wants to sell something, wouldn't they check the place where they put their ad?

Last edited:
What's the problem? Sellers aren't getting back to you fast enough?

[smile]

TBP..

If somebody really wants to sell something, wouldn't they check the place where they put their ad?

You would think so. When you send a PM and when it finally gets a return you know it's
'old' when you have a senior moment and have forgotten what it was you inquired about.

[rofl2]

OK,

How about a compromise and in the rules (which nobody reads anyways) suggest that
they enable the option that if a PM is sent they get an email? It's for the children and if it
saves one life... [smile]

What about a "you can't sell on NES unless you have 20+ posts or something? That would weed out some junk but possibly also some good deals.

What about a "you can't sell on NES unless you have 20+ posts or something? That would weed out some junk but possibly also some good deals.

That's already been discussed on several occasions...We've chosen to stick to the way it is. Many people find and/or visit NES because of the classifieds, and many only come for the classifieds.

It'll be lots of work for the mods to check every poster's profile for an email address.

You have to remember,not everyone here has walked in the shoes of a Mod,so they just don't get it.

I do get it.

I do understand.

It's thankless job,and you guys aren't getting paid to do it.

Matter of fact,all the Mods should send Derek a PM reminding him that being a Mod is an unpaid position requiring hours upon hours of thankless work.

[smile]

Back
Top Bottom