Seating non-boat tail bullets?

I ordered 1K Winchester 55 grain soft points for my next run of .223 for my stash. But, when I went to load some tonite, I found that they are non-boat tail, unlike the last 2500 Winchester FMJBT's I loaded. They're just about impossible to load without holding the bullet to the case neck until the bullet is well into the seating die.

Is there an expanding die available for .223? I couldn't fins one on Midway at least, ir is there another solution? I'm pretty sure I'm overlooking something, still being new to bottleneck reloadng.

If you chamfer the inside of the necks they will seat just fine.
I only use neck expanders for loading lead bullets.

+1 I had to do this as well. I also used a loaded cartridge as a tool and just droped it into the empty shell point first to give it a tiny bevel.

20-20 hindsight. Unfortunately, I have about 5K +- prepared cases that I don't want to go through and chamfer. I'll definitely pay better attention to every aspect of the bullets I order from now on though.

I tried some flat based bullets when I first started reloading .223. Never again; there are too many great boat tailed bullets on the market.

Back
Top Bottom