• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Screwed Up and Got Lucky

TWtommers

Instructor
NES Member
I'm new to reloading but I had managed to reload about 100 rounds of 9mm successfully so I decided it was time to start using my reloads for IDPA. I got through two mags worth before I had an FTE followed by an FTF. I couldn't get a round to chamber so I took it back to the bench.

It didn't take long before I found I had a squib. Looks like I failed to charge a round with powder! What an ass. Fortunately, the bullet didn't clear enough of the barrel to allow a round to chamber. Saved me from blowing myself up.

I had a squib not too long ago. I think everyone has one eventually only I knew it was a squib when I heard the primer go off and the slide didn't cycle. Every time the gun doesn't cycle I check for a squib. A min or two of shooting time is def better than an exploding gun.

I had four squibs in my first 100 rounds. Th rotor was hanging up and I didn't catch it right away. That was before I had a clue. I will say that the primer is enought to cycle the slide on my 1911 and load another pill into battery.

I either use a lockout die or look into each case, depending on what is being loaded at the moment.

I only use a 3 position lee pro 1000. I had a squip a couple of months ago because the auto powder disk station was sticking because it was gummed up and I didn't know it. So I started resizing/decapping and priming on one run through and then running them through again with a powder drop in the first station, this powder check die in the second http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/536792/rcbs-lock-out-die and sizing in the 3rd.

At first this drove me nuts and I was looking into getting a 4 or 5 station press. Until I had a primer pop off and chain fire the others while doing a run. Still not positive how it happened, I was moving slow and watch what I'm doing, but it must've just gotten stuck somehow and then pinched. Either way, now I'm more than happy to to keep potential primer explosions far away from the powder drop process.

The RCBS lock out die works perfectly too. With HP38, if I change the grain weight from even half a grain either up or down, it will lock up the press. So no squibs or over loads in the future...

Not that anyone should get complacent, but I much prefer my auto indexing XL 650 for reasons like this. Keep an eye on the powder level in the measure, and look for powder before placing a bullet for seating.

I use a Hornady LNL Progressive. I know this was an attention issue. I was so focused on the primer station due to the issues I was having with it that I failed to pay attention, at least on a few rounds, to the powder station. It had never failed to drop powder and the powder I was using wouldn't have the the bullet seat if it overcharged. As a result, I was less than vigilant there.

Several years ago I took apart about 100 .45's with an impact puller to find the few without powder. I now "See powder" before placing the bullet no matter what cartridge I am loading.

Yup. Lesson learned here. The thing I'm most pissed off about is that I have over 100 rounds of 9mm reloads that I now must go through carefully rather than in IDPA or practice. Its a much cheaper price though than replacing the gun and paying for ER visits.

Does installing a hornady power cop will help? It's only $32.

"Send it" via iPhone V

It helps immensely if you pay attention to it! [smile] I have one. My focus was just too wrapped up in the primer slide. I'm hoping it was only that on round but I'll be shooting through the remainder very carefully.

The RCBS powder check die will lock up the machine if you have no powder.

How did it happen?

My focus was on the primer station. It was constantly jamming and failing to insert a primer. I finally found that this was because the inner primer tube was upside down. Because it wasn't seating, the primers were bunching up at the mouth where the slide grabs them. I felt like a retard for that alone.

Paying so much attention to that issue took my focus off the power station. As it turns out, the issue with the powder station was that it loosened, just a tiny bit, in the bushing. Caused the linkage to interfere with the powder cop die next to it. I'm reasonably sure I caught it fairly quickly. I'd be shocked if I missed more than one or two.

I'm chalking it up to both learning how easy it is to lose focus and how my equipment actually works in practice. Just glad my only payment was a little shame.

Caused the linkage to interfere with the powder cop die next to it.

The lesson here is: No good can come out of a powder cop die. I have a little clamp-on light that it move around to aim at the case in the seating station so I can get a look at the powder in it before I drop on a bullet. You'd be surprised how good your eye gets.

Before anybody chimes in and tells me that the powder cop is a good idea, see my post above, If you can't remember to look in the case, why can you remember to look at a powder cop die? The RCBS die is a different story.

I got jammed up the same way with the primer tube on my L-N-L when I first got it. There's a tiny little lip machined into the bottom of the tube, which is the only way you can tell which end to put down. I colored the bottom of my primer tubes with a Sharpie so I'll never do it again.

One more tip: Get a length of 1/8" wood dowel. If you ever have trouble getting primers out of a pickup tube, or through the primer feed tube, you can just drop it in and solve the problem. There's not a lot of clearance in those tubes. If a primer picks up a bit of tape residue from the package (hello Wolf primers), they can get hung up.

All good tips, Jim. Thanks. I'm definitely marking those damn tubes. I'm not giving up on the powder cop yet. I will, however, make sure that I pay attention to it! I found it easy to view the cop while charging the handle which is a nice benefit.

Of course, this was a minimum charge pistol load that nearly filled the cartridge to begin with. I don't think I'd completely trust the cop which a bigger (less tolerant) load.

I use a flexible neck clip on led book light that I get at the dollar store. They shine a nice light in most pistol cases and even .223 with a near full case. The light comes with batteries and when the watch type batteries die (they lasts for a long long time) I toss the light and get another.

Had a squib 2 times first one lodged about 1 3/4 inches into the barrel and I was lucky enough to think something went wrong and took gun apart to have a look.

When I reload now with my single stage press it is a series of things i do. One I deprime 100 rounds. 2 - I prime 100 rounds. 3 - I belle 100 rounds. 4 - I powder 100 rounds and visaully check before moving to press and crimp.

May seem to long a process but I enjoy my reloading time and I have never had a issue since I put this into place.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom