SBR on a Form 3

rkwjunior

NES Member
Whats the deal with a Form 3, can an SBR be transferred to an individual on a form 3 or dealer only??.

Last edited:
Form3: Application for Tax-Exempt Transfer of Firearm and Registration to SOT

Form 3 is for untaxed transfers. Why would your individual transfer be tax free?

The title on the form itself is "Application for Tax-Exempt Transfer of Firearm and Registration to Special Occupational Taxpayer", if you look at the form itself, there's no place to enter information for an individual person.

The only tax-exempt way to transfer to an individual is on a Form 5, "Application for Tax Exempt Transfer and Registration of a Firearm".

Last edited:
Form 3 is for untaxed transfers. Why would your individual transfer be tax free?

The title on the form itself is "Application for Tax-Exempt Transfer of Firearm and Registration to Special Occupational Taxpayer", if you look at the form itself, there's no place to enter information for an individual person.

The only tax-exempt way to transfer to an individual is on a Form 5, "Application for Tax Exempt Transfer and Registration of a Firearm".

A dealer on Gunbroker is auctioning off an SBR AR and says it can be transferred to an FFL tax free on a form 3. So i'm just trying to figure out why, and can it be transferred to an individual??. I contacted him but i haven't heard back yet.

A dealer on Gunbroker is auctioning off an SBR AR and says it can be transferred to an FFL tax free on a form 3. So i'm just trying to figure out why, and can it be transferred to an individual??. I contacted him but i haven't heard back yet.

If you are trying to figure out why, you shouldn't even be thinking about "playing" in the world of NFA, yet. I am not trying to sound like a douche, but you can get yourself in pretty significant trouble if you don't know what you are doing. Your "question" is really in the realm of "NFA 101"...

Form 3 is the dealer to dealer form. So unless the dealer on Gunbroker is in the same state you are in, it will transfer from him on a form 3 to "your" dealer in MA on a form 3. Then "your" dealer will transfer it to you on a Form 4 w/ you paying the $200 tax.

Thats why I'm asking, I'm here to learn. You have to start somewhere.

I read some other forums and of course some people give the wrong info so i wanted to be sure. I understand the seriousness of getting into the nfa world, I'm doing my research.

Thats why I'm asking, I'm here to learn. You have to start somewhere.

I read some other forums and of course some people give the wrong info so i wanted to be sure. I understand the seriousness of getting into the nfa world, I'm doing my research.

The way it works is that transfers of NFA items between FFLs with a SOT (Special Occupational Tax) are tax-free, and are done via a Form 3. Transfers to individuals are done via a Form 4, and a $200 tax has to be paid ($5 for AOWs).

So, to buy an NFA item from a dealer in another state, the item first has to be transferred to a dealer in your state via a Form 3. Then, the dealer in your state will transfer it to you via a Form 4.

Here is a handy PDF with information on transfers of NFA items: http://www.atf.gov/files/publications/download/p/atf-p-5320-8/atf-p-5320-8-chapter-9.pdf

So, to buy an NFA item from a dealer in another state, the item first has to be transferred to a dealer in your state via a Form 3. Then, the dealer in your state will transfer it to you via a Form 4.

simple and to the point. this is how the transfer will work.

The way it works is that transfers of NFA items between FFLs with a SOT (Special Occupational Tax) are tax-free, and are done via a Form 3. Transfers to individuals are done via a Form 4, and a $200 tax has to be paid ($5 for AOWs).

Here is a handy PDF with information on transfers of NFA items: http://www.atf.gov/files/publications/download/p/atf-p-5320-8/atf-p-5320-8-chapter-9.pdf
Thanx, I appreciate the reply. The form 3 Is what caught me off guard, i'm used to seeing form 1's and form 4's.

Back
Top Bottom