Savage Axis 30-06 Spfld Amunition Recomendation

HorizontalHunter

NES Member
I am sure that some members have the Savage Axis in 30-06 Spfld (1:10 twist) and was wondering what factory ammunition shoots well out of yours?

Typically I will be punching paper and it will likely see use during our bear season. It also might see some use for deer and such out of state.

Thanks,

Bob

Try a few different offerings for hunting. Find one that gives you the accuracy you expect from a cold barrel shot.
For paper punching try to find the least expensive match ammo. My neighbor has the axis. He shoots black hills match.
One warning is limit your removal of the mag. Neighbors gun had the plastic mag catch fail. He complains about the trigger. I am used to a not so good trigger shooting mil surplus rifles. It's got some creep and drag to it but unless your used to light triggers it's ok. .my guess is 5lbs
Good rings and a decent scope will go a long way.
We struggled to get his to zero and at least get minute of deer for 3 shots. He was using weaver rings bought at bass pro.
He emailed savage and the told him to try leupold,burris signature or Warne rings.
In the end he has a simple leupold VX3 a EGW base and leupold rings. Had a Smith mount it and lap the rings.
He's happy filled his tag limit in NH. I believe he's just shooting 150 remington soft points?
Only thing with his rifle is zero creeps once there is some heat on the barrel. He's happy though and for just under 1000$ has a complete rig he feels confident taking out game.

Thanks for the lengthy reply. I appreciate it. It will give me a direction to go in if I can't get mine settled in. The twist seems optimized for a 165g bullet.

They have a reputation for being good shooters with the trigger and scope being problem areas. At least that was my expectation going in on an inexpensive rifle like this. There are several aftermarket triggers available now for the Axi.

Bob

Thanks for the lengthy reply. I appreciate it. It will give me a direction to go in if I can't get mine settled in. The twist seems optimized for a 165g bullet.

They have a reputation for being good shooters with the trigger and scope being problem areas. At least that was my expectation going in on an inexpensive rifle like this. There are several aftermarket triggers available now for the Axi.

Bob

good shooter is relative..... minute of deer for a 300$ rifle is good.
my friend has his zeroed for the hunting rounds to impact 2.5" high at 100 yards. basically gives him a point and shoot zero out to about 300 yards and still hit the vital zone of the deer.
with the 165gn blak hills i think his best average of 5 shot groups taken from a cold barrel was a touch over 2mao from bags for suport front and rear.
he is a hunter and on a very fixed budget so the axis was a good deal for him. his expectations are not high and rather reasonable.
If he can pull off a cold bore shot thats within 1" of the expected point of aim/impact hes happy. His test is to put a 7" pie plate out at 200 yards take 3 shots and be happy if they stay with in 7" often he shoots from a standing or kneeling position as he doesnt generall shoot from a stand.

Last edited:
I guess my expectations are similar. I will tinker and try various loads to see what the best I can get out of it.

At the end of the day I will use it to hunt black bear and maybe other critters so minute of deer is acceptable. In 35 years I have never shot a deer over 100 yards. I think that my longest shot was around 85 yards.

Thanks again for posting and the input.

Bob

Not the cheapest ammo, but if you really want to know what it will do on paper and can't find the Black Hills, try Winchester Match with 168 Sierra Match King bullets, or similar offering in Federal Gold Medal Match.

I had an Axis 30-06 that I dropped in a wood Boyd's stock that had no trouble shooting 1 inch groups with any kind of decent hunting ammo. Sold it to another member here, I think he likes it too.

Back
Top Bottom