saratoga springs cwp

8thring

Banned
going to sartoga springs ny. i have a cwp for nh, ma and ct for,which it looks lke , there is no reciprocity. i drive a toyota rav with a hidden compartment and would like to have a weapon with me. could a folding stock shotgun with a gunlock on it be transported interstate legally? [crying][sad][angry]

I spent a few nights there a couple of years ago. They had road blocks every night checking for drunk drivers. The cars were backed up a 1/4 mile on both sides of the road and they checked every single car.

That's one town I would be very carefull in.

going to sartoga springs ny. i have a cwp for nh, ma and ct for,which it looks lke , there is no reciprocity. i drive a toyota rav with a hidden compartment and would like to have a weapon with me. could a folding stock shotgun with a gunlock on it be transported interstate legally? [crying][sad][angry]
Sounds like a couple issues in the mix: 1) interstate transport under federal law, and 2) NY regulation of possession/storage of long arms.

1) FOPA's interstate transport provision may cover you for a "just passing through" stay in the course of interstate travel if you are legally allowed to possess the firearm at both your destination and your starting state. But you're STAYING in NY on vaca - so FOPA really applies to the states you travel through on your way there. So in short, NY law has to be looked to since it's your destination. If you can legally possess the shotgun in NY under NY state law (and where you are starting from), then under FOPA, you can transport it locked in the compartment as you say.

2) I don't think NY State requires a permit for possession of long guns, and a pump shotgun transported locked (and unloaded) in a separate compartment works for most states' transportation and shouldn't fall under NY's AWB-type provisions, but I am not a NY lawyer, so I'll leave that question to others expert in NY law. http://www.nysrpa.org/nygunlaws.htm is one place to start. You WILL need to comply with all NY State laws regarding carrying, possession, etc. with regard to the firearm while you are in NY State.

In short, if you can possess it legally in NY state (and your starting state), you can travel with it there in the way you say.

Last edited:
If it's factory equipment, then it's not "hidden" and police officers know where it is and how to find it.

By peculiar coincidence, Illinois just had its state supreme court throw out its law banning hidden compartments.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-ap-il-scoill-secretcomp,1,6675912.story

I don't recommend trying to be a test case in your own (or other) state, however.

He was talking about NY, and there was just a case a couple of months ago, where some rapper had his car searched, and they found a hidden compartment, with a gun in it. They not only got him for possession of a firearm, but he also got a felony conviction for the compartment.

Sorry - may have jumped the gun. I read you as 'correcting' me on the obvious, thus the eyeroll. [thinking]

To turn the discussion back to the point, anyone here know if the NY law banned hidden compartments outright, or whether the penalty only applies if contraband is found in the hidden compartment? (The IL law banned them outright, and that was the basis of the IL state supreme court overturning it.)

Back
Top Bottom