Samuel Whittemore - The inventor of FAFO

After 249 years, it's hard to top this guy.

On April 19, 1775, British forces were returning to Boston from the Battles of Lexington and Concord, the opening engagements of the war. On their march they were continually shot at by American militiamen. Whittemore was in his fields when he spotted an approaching British relief brigade under Earl Percy, sent to assist the retreat. Whittemore loaded his musket and ambushed the British grenadiers of the 47th Regiment of Foot from behind a nearby stone wall, killing one soldier. He then drew his dueling pistols, killed a second grenadier and mortally wounded a third. By the time Whittemore had fired his third shot, a British detachment had reached his position; Whittemore drew his sword and attacked.[7] He was subsequently shot in the face, bayoneted numerous times, and left for dead in a pool of blood. He was found by colonial forces, trying to load his musket to resume the fight. He was taken to Dr. Cotton Tufts of Medford, who perceived no hope for his survival. However, Whittemore recovered and lived another 18 years until dying of natural causes at the age of 98.
He was 80 years old at the time. Damn.

A bit more from another source ( Revolutionary War - Captain Samuel Whittemore ):
Word had come to Menotomy that the combined, heavily engaged, columns of Smith and Percy were retreating toward the town, and were burning homes along the way, so the aged warrior decided to take action in spite of his being eighty years old! He strapped on his captured french sword, stuck his brace of dueling pistols in his belt, put on his powder horn and shot bag, took his musket from its place on his fireplace mantle and went to war!
Sam selected a position that gave him a excellent view of the road from Lexington, and sat down to wait. His fellow minuteman from Menotomy pleaded for him to find a safer position, but he choose to ignore them.

His fellow minuteman started firing at the oncoming British Grenadiers of the 47th Regiment of Foot, falling back to reload, then firing again. Sam waited. Finally, when the column was directly in front of him, he stood and fired his musket. A grenadier fell dead. He drew his two pistols, firing both at almost point blank range. Another grenadier fell dead, a third fell mortally wounded. The British soldiers were on top of him, he had not the time to reload his musket or pistols, so drawing his sword, he . started flailing away at the bayonet wielding soldiers. A soldier leveled his Brown Bess musket, at point blank range and fired. The .69 calibre ball struck Sam in the cheek, tearing away part of his face and throwing him to the ground. Sam valiantly tried to rise, fending off bayonet thrusts with his sword, but he was overpowered. Struck in the head with a musket butt, he went down again, then was bayoneted thirteen times and left for dead.
After the British column had fought its way clear, the town's people and minuteman started to search for their wounded compatriots. Several had seen Sam Whittemore's "last stand" and approached to remove his body. To everyone's astonishment Sam was not only still alive, but conscious and still full of fight. Laying there, he was trying to load his musket!

Last edited:
going on to live another 18 years was always my favorite part of his story and a terrific FU to the monarchy.

Paul Revere's ride is a great read for anyone who hasn't.
If you can, try and get out to an Appleseed event, you'll meet some nice folks, practice marksmanship skills and share stories of April 19th, 1775. Happy Patriot's Day folks, our heritage is a rebellion.

Project Appleseed | Project Appleseed

going on to live another 18 years and having more children was always my favorite part of his story and a terrific FU to the monarchy.

Fixed that for you - the first stories I've heard about this man indicate he had more kids after the events of April 19th. I can't find proof of this, but, damn it - I sure hope so, if anyone deserves to reproduce it was that man.

A soldier leveled his Brown Bess musket, at point blank range and fired. The .69 calibre ball struck Sam in the cheek

.69 caliber Brown Bess? I thought French used .69 and the Brown Bess was larger. Great story, remember being impressed with it as a kid. He's like the official MA hero or something hypocritical from our anti gun state .gov. Ironically Maura lives there now.

Oh yeah, I believe he captured the sword & pistols from a French officer he took out in Canada .

Back
Top Bottom