S&W M&P Slide "Sticking"

I have a new M&P 9mm compact, and have fired 100 rounds. About 20% of the time, the slide does not return after firing, and I must push the slide stop down in order to load the next round into the barrel. In all other ways, the pistol works fine. Is this a "break-in" problem, or a malfunction such that it should be returned to S&W? Love the gun, but not happy with the problem![frown]

Don't press the slide stop down to load the next round. The correct way to chamber a round is to pull and release the slide.

It could be a mag problem. It could also be an issue with your ammo. I've never had a problem with mine like you're describing so I've never really taken a close look.

I would call S&W customer service, ask for a shipping label and they will send you a prepaid overnight label so you can ship it back to them via UPS (must take it to a customer center or depot or have it picked up, not a UPS store, though)

I have a new M&P 9mm compact, and have fired 100 rounds. About 20% of the time, the slide does not return after firing, and I must push the slide stop down in order to load the next round into the barrel. In all other ways, the pistol works fine. Is this a "break-in" problem, or a malfunction such that it should be returned to S&W? Love the gun, but not happy with the problem![frown]

Give it a chance to break in a little. It could be many things and it could be nothing.

Ammo comes to mind immediately. Clean it, lube it, and get to the range with a few hundred rounds to get it broken in. If you still have the problem, try a different brand of ammo. If you still have the problem, call S&W. 100 rounds is no kind of an indicator on any firearm IMHO.

Also, make sure you sure not hitting the slide stop under recoil and causing the problem. I used to do that with Sigs.

I have been using the slide stop to drop the slide for 30 years with no problems. That's why the put the little tab on it.

I have been using the slide stop to drop the slide for 30 years with no problems. That's why the put the little tab on it.

Actually they put it there so that you could press up to lock the slide back without a magazine in the gun. That's why it's called a "slide stop" or "slide lock" rather than a "slide release". However, on most guns it's no big deal if you choose to use it as a slide release.

Ken

vellnueve: "Don't press the slide stop down to load the next round. The correct way to chamber a round is to pull and release the slide."

This is not an accurate statment. For one, KAHR firearms, due to the angle of the feedramp to maintain compactness, instruct one to use the slide release (or stop) lever to return the firearm to battery. If the slide is released by pulling back, the gun typically will hang up causing the same problem that is being described here (this per Dottie at Kahr's customer service- this happens to many first time callers). Once I stopped the pull back method, the issue mysteriously went away.....and have had no problems in 3 plus years since.

Also, I would definitely keep a close eye on my grip with this gun- I would hazard a guess that you are inadvertantly hitting the lever up with your thumb- I had this issue with my 908 when I had it- the compact guns seem to need a little different grip in my hands (kinda meaty paws).

Let us know (and it could just be a break-in issue).

Back
Top Bottom