S&W 9mm Compact

I wish to see how people are liking the M&P. Thanks for your input

Post moved from Handguns Classifieds Forum/JJ

Last edited by a moderator:
Part of the fun and benefit of a forum is asking good questions that require thought and care. You should ask a more pointed and detailed question regarding the M&P. What specifically do you want to know about it?

Part of the fun and benefit of a forum is asking good questions that require thought and care. You should ask a more pointed and detailed question regarding the M&P. What specifically do you want to know about it?
I guess your right, I thought I could throw out a topic and let the professionals do all the work and reap the tid bits of info on the M&P. [hmmm]I have G27 and I know my trigger is going to be better then any 10 pounder. Im just looking for something new in 9mm. I know new isn't allways better then old but sometimes we get sick of MA liberal dicks telling us what, where, when, and how. IMO I find it hard to buy a gun from 1998 that I will pay as much if not more for then I would if I just walk in to FS and buy whats new, thats all. Plus in my area I can't just go to few places and try the M&P, when I buy it I'm stuck w/ it and I don't have the bank to purchase the amount of guns that most of these guys have. I have reviewed this gun on this website and at other places but all the info is a great help. I guess I'm looking for shooters to say great gun, great value, no bugs (except that brass hits you in the face) and you should definatley buy this gun.

Well here's my 2 cents:

I shot the compact at S&W ("normal" trigger) and thought it was nice from what I recall. I like the price and I love S&W. Sure there are occational kinks that are probably part of early production issues but I'd buy one in a sec. I've just decided I won't carry one so I'll stick with the full sizes for fun.

I carry a 642 or Glock 26 mostly. I've found no semi auto gun that I would carry that is as reliable as the Glock. Sigs are great but they don't make small carry guns IMO.

EDIT: Oh.. and if I did get one... it would get a normal trigger with some "work" done.

Well here's my 2 cents:

I shot the compact at S&W ("normal" trigger) and thought it was nice from what I recall. I like the price and I love S&W. Sure there are occational kinks that are probably part of early production issues but I'd buy one in a sec. I've just decided I won't carry one so I'll stick with the full sizes for fun.

I carry a 642 or Glock 26 mostly. I've found no semi auto gun that I would carry that is as reliable as the Glock. Sigs are great but they don't make small carry guns IMO.

EDIT: Oh.. and if I did get one... it would get a normal trigger with some "work" done.
Lugnut, I tried the Sig P239 at FS and it being there smallest it was not so small. I agree with reliability in the Glock but I have the G27 and was looking for a new 9mm. I carry the HK USPC .40 and wanted to carry the M&P 9mm in a shoulder bag that I carry everywhere as back up.

I love mine! Did a full trigger job myself and its like a different gun! No complaints here whatsoever! Fits my small hands very well, conceals very well, and i havent had a single malfunction of any sort thus far through at least 1000 rounds...not one! *knock on wood* Take my opinion with a grain of salt, however....as it is my first carry gun.

mp.jpg

Last edited:
I guess your right, I thought I could throw out a topic and let the professionals do all the work and reap the tid bits of info on the M&P. [hmmm]I have G27 and I know my trigger is going to be better then any 10 pounder. Im just looking for something new in 9mm. I know new isn't allways better then old but sometimes we get sick of MA liberal dicks telling us what, where, when, and how. IMO I find it hard to buy a gun from 1998 that I will pay as much if not more for then I would if I just walk in to FS and buy whats new, thats all. Plus in my area I can't just go to few places and try the M&P, when I buy it I'm stuck w/ it and I don't have the bank to purchase the amount of guns that most of these guys have. I have reviewed this gun on this website and at other places but all the info is a great help. I guess I'm looking for shooters to say great gun, great value, no bugs (except that brass hits you in the face) and you should definatley buy this gun.

OK then.

I have an M&P40 Full Size. I really like the overall feel of the pistol and it seems to "fit" my hand well. The MA trigger, however, sucks. Very spongy, long travel, undefined "break" and I really should have it cleaned up. You would do well to look for alternatives for a carry pistol. I actually carry a S&W 6906 (had several of them over the years and will NOT part with this one) which is compact, accurate, reliable, has a DA/SA trigger system, holds 12 rounds, and is readily available for anywhere from $300-450 or so on the used market. You might also consider the P99 Walther copy of the SW99 compact which is available new for around the same $$$ as the M&P. Not quite as sexy as the newer model but a fine pistol nonetheless. Keep your eyes open on forums and on-line shop lists for Kahr pistols too--very small, light and reliable. On the larger caliber front, look for a carry 1911 officer model or Para Carry model with the LDA trigger, a bit bigger overall but still slim and concealable. Try them all and pick the one you are most comfortable carrying and shooting.

I talked to a rep. at Para the other day and she said that they issued the Carry 9 and a .40 to the state for certification, but she obviously new of no time frame when it would make the roster. I went to FS two weeks ago and and out of all the new handguns available in the store I loved the Carry .45. It has everything I am looking for. Yes they are a little on the expensive side but when the Carry 9 gets on the list that will be a great purchase. In the mean time I will probably do like Vellnueve said and go S&W and try out a few.

Why .45? Rather what is the capacity? I mean, I love the stopping power of the 45, but 7 rounds of .45 can't compare to 12 of 9mm (assuming the use of personel defense ammunition) volume of fire in this case more than compensates for lack of stopping power. (Plus 12 golden saber 9mm will turn whatever is on the business end of your pistol into mamwich) Shot placement also makes a huge difference, I mean, I'm not saying use .17 or anything, but 9x18 works fine., assuming you don't have a terrible case of Parkinson’s. (and if any of you do have Parkinson's I mean no offense, but I assume you're not the greatest shot in the world.

-James

Why .45? Rather what is the capacity? I mean, I love the stopping power of the 45, but 7 rounds of .45 can't compare to 12 of 9mm (assuming the use of personel defense ammunition) volume of fire in this case more than compensates for lack of stopping power. (Plus 12 golden saber 9mm will turn whatever is on the business end of your pistol into mamwich) Shot placement also makes a huge difference, I mean, I'm not saying use .17 or anything, but 9x18 works fine., assuming you don't have a terrible case of Parkinson’s. (and if any of you do have Parkinson's I mean no offense, but I assume you're not the greatest shot in the world.

-James
James, im sorry, the .45 felt good in the hands, I would not buy the .45, I said im waiting for the 9mm

Back
Top Bottom