S&W 649 vs. Keltec P11

The Goose

NES Member
Both guns are new to me and I took them both to the range today to test them out. Since they are both small carry guns I thought a comparison would be fun. Typically when I am testing out a new gun that I might potentially carry my first priority is functionality, I have to know that it will go bang every time. Right behind functionality is whether or not I can hit anything with it. Since I view both of these models as belly guns I keep the range short. In this case 30’ because that is the minimum at the MRA indoor range. Frankly I would have preferred 15 – 20’. I put a 5.5” Shoot N C on the target and I change out the whole target every 30 – 40 rds. I feel like if I can keep 5 shots on the Shoot N C with rapid fire I am doing OK.

First up was the 649 Bodyguard. This particular model has had a trigger job and has a ported barrel. Ammo selection was all .357 mag.; S&B 158 gr. fmj., Corbon 125 gr. jhp, and some reloads with 158 gr. jhp. With either Unique or AA#9. The trigger on this gun is really sweet. I fired only double action. After a few warm up shots it was pretty easy to keep everything well within the 5.5”. Recoil was stout but manageable. The ported barrel makes it really LOUD! Recovery between shots was pretty fast. I think the porting helps to make it more controllable. No surprises with this gun. It did what I expected a reliable S&W revolver to do. All in all I put about 200 rds through it. Of that only 20 rds was the Corbon. That round was a totally different animal. The report alone would make a bad guy crap his pants.

I had actually shot the Keltec P11 once before when I put about 100 rds through it. It had functioned flawlessly, but the rear sight had worked loose and kept sliding out to the right. Ammunition for today was Winchester white box 115 gr, fmj and Doubletap 115 gr.jhp +p. I put about 200 rds through it and it also functioned perfectly. Accuracy was not quite as good. It grouped OK, but I kept hitting low. At first I thought it was the sight, but I found that if I really concentrated I could pretty much hit to point of aim. I realized that the very long and heavy trigger pull coupled with the size and angle of the grip caused me to pull the barrel down slightly right at the end of the pull. Once again the difference between the regular 9mm and the DT +P was just incredible. The recoil and report of the DT definitely got my attention. The trigger is going to take some getting used to. I have read that the hammer spring can be switched out for a lighter one pretty easily so I may pursue that.

Comments.
I love S&W snubbies. The 649 is definitely a keeper and just a bit easier for pocket carry then the Ruger SP101 that is in my pocket now. Certainly no reliability issues.

The Keltec shows promise. It’s light weight, flat profile and 11 rds of +p is pretty appealing. Reliability seems good, but I would like to get a few hundred more rounds through it, especially with carry ammo, before I have full confidence. I would also like to do something with the trigger. Regardless, the Keltec is adequate for what it was intended to do.

Both guns are new to me and I took them both to the range today to test them out. Since they are both small carry guns I thought a comparison would be fun. Typically when I am testing out a new gun that I might potentially carry my first priority is functionality, I have to know that it will go bang every time. Right behind functionality is whether or not I can hit anything with it. Since I view both of these models as belly guns I keep the range short. In this case 30’ because that is the minimum at the MRA indoor range. Frankly I would have preferred 15 – 20’. I put a 5.5” Shoot N C on the target and I change out the whole target every 30 – 40 rds. I feel like if I can keep 5 shots on the Shoot N C with rapid fire I am doing OK.

First up was the 649 Bodyguard. This particular model has had a trigger job and has a ported barrel. Ammo selection was all .357 mag.; S&B 158 gr. fmj., Corbon 125 gr. jhp, and some reloads with 158 gr. jhp. With either Unique or AA#9. The trigger on this gun is really sweet. I fired only double action. After a few warm up shots it was pretty easy to keep everything well within the 5.5”. Recoil was stout but manageable. The ported barrel makes it really LOUD! Recovery between shots was pretty fast. I think the porting helps to make it more controllable. No surprises with this gun. It did what I expected a reliable S&W revolver to do. All in all I put about 200 rds through it. Of that only 20 rds was the Corbon. That round was a totally different animal. The report alone would make a bad guy crap his pants.

I had actually shot the Keltec P11 once before when I put about 100 rds through it. It had functioned flawlessly, but the rear sight had worked loose and kept sliding out to the right. Ammunition for today was Winchester white box 115 gr, fmj and Doubletap 115 gr.jhp +p. I put about 200 rds through it and it also functioned perfectly. Accuracy was not quite as good. It grouped OK, but I kept hitting low. At first I thought it was the sight, but I found that if I really concentrated I could pretty much hit to point of aim. I realized that the very long and heavy trigger pull coupled with the size and angle of the grip caused me to pull the barrel down slightly right at the end of the pull. Once again the difference between the regular 9mm and the DT +P was just incredible. The recoil and report of the DT definitely got my attention. The trigger is going to take some getting used to. I have read that the hammer spring can be switched out for a lighter one pretty easily so I may pursue that.

Comments.
I love S&W snubbies. The 649 is definitely a keeper and just a bit easier for pocket carry then the Ruger SP101 that is in my pocket now. Certainly no reliability issues.

The Keltec shows promise. It’s light weight, flat profile and 11 rds of +p is pretty appealing. Reliability seems good, but I would like to get a few hundred more rounds through it, especially with carry ammo, before I have full confidence. I would also like to do something with the trigger. Regardless, the Keltec is adequate for what it was intended to do.

Try a Kahr PM9 if you can get your hands on one....[smile]

Goose,

There is a world of difference between a S&W with a good trigger job shot DA and the Kel Tec P-11 with it's DAO Trigger. That long trigger pull you mention makes it very difficult to shoot with more than COM accuracy.

One thing you can do to help you with the trigger is the Wall Drill. Practice the Wall Drill for 10 minutes a day at home with a snap cap under the firing pin. It will tell you where the "shots" are going as well as build up strength in your trigger finger.

IF you can master the trigger pull on a DAO Kel Tec it wll make you a much better shooter with any trigger.

I own both a Kel Tec and a Kahr in .40 and there is a huge difference in the triggers. The Kahr being much better.

Hope that helps,

I'm no expert on the Kel-Tec, but i'm told that the trigger may "loosen up" after a few hundred to a thousand rounds or so. Please correct me if i'm wrong, as I would like to know if it's true as well.

I'm no expert on the Kel-Tec, but i'm told that the trigger may "loosen up" after a few hundred to a thousand rounds or so. Please correct me if i'm wrong, as I would like to know if it's true as well.

BTW, they make 12 rounders for the P-11.

Last edited:
It will get better with time and shooting. And if you fire a thousand rounds, you will get a much tougher/stronger trigger finger. However it will never be a target gun.

There is a Kel Tec forum that I used to visit. They talk a lot about "Fluffing and Buffing" the Kel Tec to make it smoother and lighter.

Back
Top Bottom