rut?

When does the whitetail rut start?

We had a buck chasing a doe around our suburban house at 7:30 this morning.
She wasn't interested yet but we found it quite entertaining.

Bill

I was thinking the same thing today. I think the very warm weather coming this week might screw things up a little but maybe not. I have also seen a little action suggesting it might start soon the bucks are ready but not does just yet, but lets face it the guys are always ready.

This is pre-rut chase phase. The big boys will be more active when seeking out hot does in far away places next month.

Full moon is today, the bulk of the does will enter estrus 5-10 days after the first full moon in late October or early November. Some will go into heat a little earlier, some a little later. So the fact you saw a buck chasing meants that doe was coming into estrus a little early. They tend to "smell right" for a couple day prior to actually becoming receptive so that was probably the case here. I would expect to see some hard chasing in the next week or so.

Here is some great info...

http://www.charliealsheimer.com/ca/articles/touched.html

Congrats Deadhead133. Been out 4 separate times and seen squat. Just starting to see small rubs. MassDOT is beginning to see more deer hits, and at all times; it won't be long now!

Sat in my tree stand for about 3 1/2 hours from daylight on. Had a small skipper around me for about 20 minutes. Played with it with soft grunts when it would start to leave. It kept coming back for a while, then left. I am not a trophy hunter by any means. My family loves venison, and my son and I usually do well.
I went out again in the afternoon and still hunted. When I still hunt, I take 2 or 3 steps and stop to look all around. I don't cover much ground, and I move very slowly. After an hour of this, I looked to my left and saw a small one looking at me. Long story short, I took a 20 yard shot quartering toward me. Hit him in the front shoulder, the bolt went completely through him and exited his hind leg on the other side. He went 40 yards and fell over dead.
I called my best friend and he came and dragged it out with me. (Mostly him.....note my signature.) I hunt with a Parker crossbow and Parker 20" bolts and I love it. Last year I took a nice buck with it.
I just turned 70 on the 14th of October so I don't have to pay for any more licenses. Finally gonna get something out of Massachusetts if I can live 'till next year.

Last edited:
Sat in my tree stand for about 3 1/2 hours from daylight on. Had a small skipper around me for about 20 minutes. Played with it with soft grunts when it would start to leave. It kept coming back for a while, then left. I am not a trophy hunter by any means. My family loves venison, and my son and I usually do well.
I went out again in the afternoon and still hunted. When I still hunt, I take 2 or 3 steps and stop to look all around. I don't cover much ground, and I move very slowly. After an hour of this, I looked to my left and saw a small one looking at me. Long story short, I took a 20 yard shot quartering toward me. Hit him in the front shoulder, the bolt went completely through him and exited his hind leg on the other side. He went 40 yards and fell over dead.
I called my best friend and he came and dragged it out with me. (Mostly him.....note my signature.) I hunt with a Parker crossbow and Parker 20" bolts and I love it. Last year I took a nice buck with it.
I just turned 70 on the 14th of October so I don't have to pay for any more licenses. Finally gonna get something out of Massachusetts if I can live 'till next year.

Nicely done

Hat's off to your sir! You have many more years of good hunting left!

It definitely seems to be heating up. I sat tonight and saw 4 deer. 3 does being followed by a buck (6 or 8 I couldn't get the bino's up) the girls didn't seem to be completely uninterested in him. The does were close enough for a shot but no doe permit [crying]. The buck never came into range or out of the thick brush for me to get a good look at him. I just wish these winds would calm down. I don't know if it is the same elsewhere but around me it seems like its been blowing for 2 weeks strait. Today when I set up the wind was blowing roughly east to west then shifted to roughly north to south then once again roughly west to east. I wish it would make up its mind. The last time it shifted I got busted ant that ended my night. I could deal with it if it would stay consistent. It sucks not being able to hear anything too. Well I have the next 2 days off so maybe my luck will change.

Back
Top Bottom