Ruger Vaquero

Nice gun and good photo.
I like the look of the dark grips against the stainless.
What material are the grips made of and who is the grip maker?

Patriot,
Bright stainless guns are going to be diffcult to work with. Direct reflections of the light source will tend to wash out and everything in front of the gun will be reflected. I wonder if a front for the light box with just a peep hole for the lens would give better results.
I've also noticed that digital cameras seem to have fewer "depth clues" on close-up than what I used to see with film. It makes objects closer to the camera appear disproportionately large, like the cylinder in your photo and the S&W M640 in my post "17 shots quick". I've noticed that when I use the zoom and move the camera farther away from the subject, the effect is much less noticeable. Of course, then you can't use the light box.

Have you tried a difusser on your light source? That way you don't really have a direct line to the object to cause a reflection?

I have a Canon 550 flash that has a drop difuser that seems to really keep the one point reflection to a min, and if you bounce the flash, it makes a big difference and will keep the shadows down to a min.

C-pher said:
Have you tried a difusser on your light source? That way you don't really have a direct line to the object to cause a reflection?

I have a Canon 550 flash that has a drop difuser that seems to really keep the one point reflection to a min, and if you bounce the flash, it makes a big difference and will keep the shadows down to a min.

I wasn't using a flash. I had built this:

http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/light_box_light_tent

and was using a mish-mash of lighting. A 40W incandescent on the left and
a round flourescent on the top and right side. I had a sheet over the box
diffusing the light and was using a pink towel as the backdrop. Like I said, it
was really a jury-rig setup just to see how it would go. Now I have to refine
it (get the proper lighting setup). I do have a diffuser on my flash which is a
Nikon sb-800 but using a flash really presents its own set of problems plus I
was in the cellar which has nothing to be able to bounce the light off further
diffusing it.

I have a friend that is really a good photographer and he mentioned some
'neutral' lighting that I have to look into.

TBP

Yee haw. Nice firearm. Try using your bounce straight up so the flash reflection does not show up on the polished steel in the photo. Also consider a polarizer filter, not usually used indoors but capable of further reducing unwanted reflections.

Regards,
Chris

Back
Top Bottom