Ruger single actions

Pilgrim

NES Member
RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
How many of you own one? I never liked the looks of them until I picked one up in a store, then I was hooked. Now I find myself watching more and more westerns trying to see their guns.

If you haven't handled or shot one, you owe it to yourself to do so. They are fine rugged weapons.

The New Vaquero was designed with nearly identical dimensions to the original Colt 1873 Peacemaker, although the innards have been improved a bit.

I was watching the markman show on the history channel and one of the shooters uses a Ruger SAA with the BP cylinder replaced by a cartrige type. If he canuse them in some of his really precision shoots, I guess they're a decent gun.

If you've got one or more post them here, please.

I know I've posted a pic or 2 before but here's the latest of my growing collection.

5rugers%20800x599.jpg

Last edited:
I'm finding myself attracted more and more to revolvers. I only own 1 which is a Ruger Super Redhawk and it is a hoot to shoot. I wouldn't mind getting something like that 2008 Vaquero you have there. It looks snazzy.

I have the New Vaquero in 45LC stainless. It's great. I need a grip upgrade however. Still sporting the stock plastic ones.

2 Stainless new model Blackhawks .357, 4 5/8 BBLs- Cowboy Action "Modern Class"
2 Blued New Model Vaquero's .357 5 1/2 BBLs- Cowboy Action "Traditional" Class
2 Stainless Baisley Vaqueros .45LC Sequentially numbered mammoth grips recently acquired.
All of these have extensive action, trigger, free pawls, etc done to them to make them "race ready"

1 old model blackhawk in .41Mag 8inch BBL

I like my Single Action Rugers! cheaper than a colt and lasts much longer

This one of the New Vaqueros with the belt/holster that is listed in the classifieds. The Vaquero has Eagle Gun Fighter Grips, which fit in the hand nicely and are worth the expense.
3072952628_53f778b420_b.jpg

Heres a couple pictures of me shooting a CAS Match
n74900006_30125084_6088.jpg

n74900006_30125086_7296.jpg

Last edited:
I've got one or two:

pickone-vi.jpg

The Clements Custom .44 Spl that I had built on a Ruger New Vaquero quickly became my favorite centerfire handgun:

P1080259cbs-vi.jpg

For rimfires, this first or second year New Model Single-Six is hard to beat.
It lives permanently in my range bag.

SingleSix61_2-vi.jpg

I have a flock of double actions also, but the single actions are just so much more fun to shoot.

Jack

While I don't have a SA revolver yet, I recently bought my first wheel gun, a Ruger Police Service Six in .357 Magnum and absolutely love the way it shoots. I've really had my eye on a Blackhawk .41Mag.

Pilgrim, I have always admired the Rugers that you have posted. I am partial to Rugers in general and have few single actions tucked away in the safe and a couple of great shooters too:
1967 Single Six, NIB unfired
IMG_1909.jpg

IMG_1911.jpg

1979 Super Black Hawk NIB unfired

IMG_1898.jpg

I've got one or two:

pickone-vi.jpg

The Clements Custom .44 Spl that I had built on a Ruger New Vaquero quickly became my favorite centerfire handgun:

P1080259cbs-vi.jpg

SingleSix61_2-vi.jpg

I have a flock of double actions also, but the single actions are just so much more fun to shoot.

Jack

WOW !

I have to agree that the New Vaquero is one wonderfully finished, precisely made gun.

I have three Ruger single actions. A Stainless .357 Blackhawk, a case hardened Birds Head Vaquero .45LC, and a Blackhawk .45LC/.45ACP convertible. The first two have Power Custom Free Spin Pawls. The Free Spin Pawls are a fantastic upgrade, I highly recommend them. [grin]

The photo doesn't tell the whole story.
I set out to get a Ruger single action revolver in every caliber offered by the factory. That accounts for about half of the collection.

A lot of the more interesting calibers are hard-to-impossible to get here nowadays, like the 10mm and 32-30 Buckeyes and the .40 S&W Vaquero.

There are also some unique models, like the .44 flattop, the .22 flatgate and the Bearcat. A couple were bought because of barrel lengths, like the 9-1/2" Single-Six and the 3-5/8" Vaquero Sherrifs' model.

While I still enjoy having the collection and showing it off to friends, the limited edition guns will never be available here and I doubt that I will add very many more to the collection. A .17 rimfire and a SBH Hunter will probably be the last.

All except the 44-40 Vaqero and the .357 Maxi SRM have been fired at least once but there are only a half dozen that get to the range regularly.
Besides the Clement's Custom .44 and the 6-1/2" Single-Six, I enjoy shooting the stainless 4-5/8" Blackhawks and SBH more than any others and do arguably well with them out to 50 yards.

Jack

I think my next gun is going to be a New Vaquero in .357M with a 5.5" Bbl. But I can't decide if i want it in blue or the polished stainless. The OP has one in Polished with the ivory grips and it looks real nice. But I can't find any decent pics of one in blue with some type of wooden grips. Ahh to many choices, so little money[grin]

... But I can't decide if i want it in blue or the polished stainless. ....

The cylinder frame of the blued Vaquero is 'chemically' case hardened, not fire case hardened.
It is widely reported that the finish is not very durable.
If you are going to give the gun a lot of use, the stainless will look good a lot longer.

Jack

Single six with LR cyl. and mag cyl.
Had a Super in 44 mag 10 1/2 bbl...ended up trading for a shotgun.

attachment.php

This is in 357. Internals polished, front sight shaved to 6 o'clock hold at 50 yards, trigger stoned and polished, hammer shaved to contact frame, Belt Mt. pin fitted, heavy base pin spring added. No change to the stock trigger and hammer springs. I might put a heavier hammer spring in it. The New Vaq hammers are too slow for my taste. It shoots under 1" at 25 yards from sandbags, but I haven't gotten that kind of accuracy at 50 yards yet. Maybe if I blacken the sights first It might allow me to do better. Grips are carved from a piece of figured maple board. Very fun to shoot.

Attachments

• DSCF2636.jpg
    DSCF2636.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 232
It is not a Ruger, but here is my Colt six gun and some of the family

Attachments

• 100_0899.jpg
    100_0899.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 26
They are Bull-dogs, many companies came out with copies of the British Bull- dogs. People in this country liked them as a hide away gun.

Last edited:
I've got one or two:

pickone-vi.jpg

P1080259cbs-vi.jpg

SingleSix61_2-vi.jpg

Jack

That .44 is as good as it gets. I collect Colt SAAs but shoot mainly Ruger's cause they wear so well.

I think they are around 40 years old...I'll have to ask him when I see him next.

Apparantly Arvo O'Jala was the guy who made "Matt Dillon's" rig on Gunsmoke and taught Arness how to quick draw.
O'Jala is the the guy in the beginning credits of the show facing off with Arness.

Back
Top Bottom