Ruger LCR +P bullet

peterk123

NES Member
New toy on the way. So I am thinking about a proper +P bullet. I believe the classic bullet is/was a 158 grain LSWC. And I am guessing the the modern bullet is probably something like a Hornady XTP, probably around 125 grains.

I really like the idea of using a the LSWC for practice and as a self defense round. Just seems appropriate for the modern version of the classic LEO backup gun. So my question is this............I currently have in stock Missouri Bullet's coated .358 diameter 18 Brinell hardness LSWC. I use this for my 357 mag loading. Would it be appropriate to use this for the +P, or will the extra hardness cause some unnecessary leading?

Thx Pete

Last edited:
Your running coated lead, should not get leading.
does your bullet manufacture have any load data?
Im not sure if your going to need a gas check once you start pushing velocity?
I say its time to do some load testing....as long as your pistol is rated for +P

Are you reloading with a speed loader or are you like me and don't practice reloading? If you use a speed loader, the SWC design may not be very quick to get into the chambers.

Are you reloading with a speed loader or are you like me and don't practice reloading? If you use a speed loader, the SWC design may not be very quick to get into the chambers.

Good point. I do practice reloading, but so far only with my 9mm guns. I will be using speed strips with this gun because it is easier to keep in my pocket. That is an excellent point. I think I will have to pick up some Hornady XTPs and try those as well.

I’ve had good results with the Hornady XTP bullets. You can certainly load them to +p levels if you like. There’s only so much time to burn powder in a stubby snub nose barrel so I should think you would favor faster burning powders.

I’d load them up at different levels from a starting load up to +p and see what you shoot most accurately.

There are plenty of truncated cone and round nose flat points that will facilitate faster reloads. I often use the Lee 356-120 TC (sized accordingly) or the Lyman 358665 (CAB). Of course, these won't give you the crisp holes on paper like a WC does. NEI makes a TC that weighs in at 162g with my alloy. All of the above bullets are plain-based.
Your testing will reveal any issues, if any, at magnum velocities. I know LBT has a 185g RNFP that has a gas check, but that bullet may bind in your cylinder if seated to the crimp groove, due to the broad profile (that has been my experience in my GP-100).
Heck, need heavier...try the 204g Lyman 358315 (ideally for .35 Remington). I load these in a .38 Special case, but load them hot and long (fit to your gun's cylinder).

The three crisp holes pictured are from a .308 Win. (shooting the 98g DEWC from Grafs).

Attachments

• .38 Special (3).jpg
    .38 Special (3).jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 6
  • P2280023.JPG
    P2280023.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 5
  • P2280024.JPG
    P2280024.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 6
  • DEWCab.jpg
    DEWCab.jpg