Ruger 10/22 Tactical with Eotech = LTR?

Reptile

NES Member
Thinking of getting back into Appleseed.

I want to get a new rifle- one that I can put the Eotech XPS2-RF on.

That is an Eotech made for .22.

I want a Ruger 10/22 Tactical because it has a rail on it.

If I got a sling for this rifle (does it even have sling mounts?) - would this set up be good as a LTR?

My thoughts;

In another thread you stated you wear RX eyeglasses. You may need magnified optics in order to shoot better. Keep this in mind, optics simply help you see better. Equipment helps yes, but technique counts more.

Get yourself a complete AR lower, even if you have to acquire it piece by piece.

Next up a dedicate .22lr upper. Now you have better mounting options for optics and slings.

FWIW, come up to MRGC sometime and I'll coach you for an afternoon.

If you want a 10/22, do you need the Tactical model? All 10/22's come with a rail that mounts on top of the receiver. A stock 10/22 does not come with sling mounts, but they can be added easily enough.

XPS2-RF is practice for your XPS2-equipped centerfire rifle

I have a XPS2-RF mounted on a standard Ruger rail, works great at short range, but is not a replacement for a magnified scope. Even with their 3x magnifier the Eotech can't compare to a "real" 3-9x scope.

My thoughts;

In another thread you stated you wear RX eyeglasses. You may need magnified optics in order to shoot better. Keep this in mind, optics simply help you see better. Equipment helps yes, but technique counts more.

Get yourself a complete AR lower, even if you have to acquire it piece by piece.

Next up a dedicate .22lr upper. Now you have better mounting options for optics and slings.

FWIW, come up to MRGC sometime and I'll coach you for an afternoon.

Twigg,

That would be awesome. I do have an AR lower.

Is there a specific .22lr upper you would recommend?

I've got a Spike's dedicated upper, if you want to try it out I'll bring it to the NES shoot. As Twigg said, you definitely want a dedicated upper (as opposed to a bolt-only conversion) for Appleseed.

If you want a dedicated Appleseed gun, don't ignore bolt action. Plenty of people qualify with a CZ 452.

I put a 3-9 scope on a 10/22 for Appleseed to compensate for the need for readers. It worked great once I realized that keeping it at 4x rather than 9x was the way to go. The off-hand steadiness (err, shakiness) is magnified along with the target!

Twigg,

I've got a Spike's dedicated upper, <snip>

If you want a dedicated Appleseed gun, don't ignore bolt action.CZ 452[/URL].

I don't have much experience with .22lr uppers but when I was with A/S I saw a lot of the Spike's uppers. I have a scoped 10/22 if you want to try magnified optics. Is your AR lower complete ? I happen to have an extra parts kit.

PM me if you wnat to come up here.

I've seen plenty of 22 conversions and uppers at Appleseeds, and they almost always end up frustrating shooters. Most aren't very reliable and really need to be cleaned every couple hundred rounds. For about the same cost as a good dedicated upper you could probably buy a Smith and Wesson M&P 15-22 and have a dedicated .22, and those have a much better track record with high round count Appleseeds.

Back
Top Bottom