Rock Island 03

Recently I purchased an RIA 03, low serial number (284,xxx), picked up and read the Ferris book detailing the rifle and would like to safely shoot this weapon. It has a March 1918 barrel, very nice Parkerization and a WWll refurb scant stock (RA). I would like to confirm the proper heat treating / hardness of the receiver if possible. My gut feeling is that since it was used during the war and subsequently refurbed it should be ok. However,before I pull the trigger on an almost 90 year old rifle with a potentially hidden flaw I'd appreciate more experienced advice. Also, is it possible or practical to test metal (rifle receiver) for proper hardness so many years after production?
Thanks,
Dana

Hi Dana,

CMP states that the boundary is at S/N 285,507, so you are on the unfortunate side of that. To the best of my knowledge, the refurbs didn't address the inherent problem of the receiver.

I certainly see the appeal of wanting to shoot the rifle, and if I was in a trench in France getting shot AT, the risk sounds like a good trade-off to me. OTOH, I am not in a trench overseas, I have a family, fairly good eyesight, and all my fingers. I'd be inclined to leave it in the rack.

Perhaps someone here can comment on the failure mode of the early 03s. Given the dire warnings, I would assume the receiver shatters. Other failure modes would be less catastophic, and the risk might be acceptable to some.

-Gary

Wish I could find it but I read somewhere where the total number of failures of all the early 03's, regardless of make was 10 or 11 ! The numbers were astronomically low. However these failures did cause some serious damage/death to the users. As I remember, the receivers broke and the bolt came back into the shooter's face/head.

It would seem that if a gun got thru WW1 and probably WW2, then it would be fine for casual plinking use now.

But do you want to chance it......................?

1903 recievers

Type in 1903.com on you're browser. There is alot of info on the 03s and a3s, specifically a very good paper on the springfeild/rock Island recievers. The number of failed recievers is higher, but that is over a fifteen to twenty year time period so the percentage is quite low. gws1063 is correct in that the early recievers did shatter, which was found to be due to improper heat treatment, there were no deaths but some serious injuries. The artilce has very detailed info on the topic. I have a low number SA 03 and won't fire it, just don't want to take the chance even though it's in good shape. So it sits on the wall next to my other 03s and A3s. I don't mind because I collect them as well as shoot them so I'll buy them when they come around. If you want a shooter, look for an A3, you can fire them all day and not have to worry...Hope this help..

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great input guys. I do appreciate the voices of experience. I also value the use of both of my eyes and all my fingers. It would also be a shame to possibly destroy an historical artifact. Wouldn't it be great to get a view back in time to 1918 to see if every one of these beautiful rifles was heat treated or double heat treated properly before final assembly. Those old craftsmen and machinists were just making the tools of war and not thinking at all about the future collectibility of their products. We have it much easier, to buy or not, to shoot or not.
Regards,
Dana

Back
Top Bottom