RM1SPECIALFIELD - A.K.A "My first M1"

[smile]
More pics in the next post.
Just delivered - A day late due to a missed transfer to the delivery truck.
It's a Springfield Armory, 2,911,xxx serial number... If I'm reading this chart correctly, it's a May 1944 production.

I had to sign, open, photograph, and lock this up, and then get on my horse to Work so I didn't check for some of the problem points yet... That said, the rear sight seemed tight and the stock/receiver fit is VERY tight. SA trigger group lockup also good.

Generally impressed by the quality of the "free" case. Not impressed with the moldflow spot in the arc of the 'C'
attachment.php

New stock has some oil / grease marks between the cheek weld and shoulder plate, along the top. I suspect I'll need to get rid of this before BLO or tung oil.
attachment.php

Reasonably nice figuring on the walnut.
attachment.php

Brand new stock already has handling marks here and there.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

A scratch almost thru the cartouche. I'll try to raise this and carefully sand it back down before finishing.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0084.JPG
    IMG_0084.JPG
    230.1 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_0085.JPG
    IMG_0085.JPG
    159 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_0086.JPG
    IMG_0086.JPG
    231.1 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_0087.JPG
    IMG_0087.JPG
    237.7 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_0088.jpg
    IMG_0088.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_0089.JPG
    IMG_0089.JPG
    228 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_0090.JPG
    IMG_0090.JPG
    232.2 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_0091.JPG
    IMG_0091.JPG
    241.3 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_0092.jpg
    IMG_0092.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
Nice! At least in the pics, I'm not seeing what makes it a 'field' grade. If available when I picked up my Special, I would have went for the Special Field.

You'll add a little more character of your own over the years.

Should be a very good shooter. Be sure to get some holes in paper before ~Sept 24 to enter the postal match I have going.

Nice! At least in the pics, I'm not seeing what makes it a 'field' grade. If available when I picked up my Special, I would have went for the Special Field.

You'll add a little more character of your own over the years.

Should be a very good shooter. Be sure to get some holes in paper before ~Sept 24 to enter the postal match I have going.

Field Grade specials are built of what whould be a Field grade reciever with more pitting than a service grade. Basically took the some what rough but serviceable condition receivers and refinished them to build out these rifles...wish they just put out the refinished receivers for a goos price..

a few more scrapes here and there than one would probably like to see on a new rifle, but that grain is going to pop really nice when you oil it up.

i'm not seeing much wear on that receiver that would qualify it as a field grade either, but a solid win for you regardless!

i wonder how much it would cost to build that from scratch? i'd guess around $15-1700 at least with parts prices the way they are right now, no?

I have very little experience WRT "field grade" myself, but I kind of have to agree... This SA receiver is nothing like (read, it's MUCH better than) the description:

The CMP SPECIALFIELD description said:
CMP Special FIELD GRADE (.30-06) M1 Garand.
This is a completely refurbished rifle consisting of an original M1 Garand Springfield or HRA receiver, new production Criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling.
Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture.
Receiver will have considerable pitting above the wood line.
Price: $830

I really don't see any pitting on the receiver... Some scrapes, scratches, and wear in the parkerization is about it.

Speaking of slings...
Didn't see one in my rush to get photographs and to work. Are the slings packaged inside the case (under the foam) or in the cardboard box? I think they may have neglected to include one.

AFAIK They do not include slings; the en bloc and certificate should be in there somewhere though.

from CMP rifle sales:

CMP Special FIELD GRADE (.30-06) M1 Garand. This is a completely refurbished rifle consisting of an original M1 Garand Springfield or HRA receiver, new production Criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture.
Receiver will have considerable pitting above the wood line.
Price: $830

it puts the 'special' in special :D

under foam many secrets hide..

if you dont have a sling call and they will send you one.... FWIT the reproduction slings suck... unless they found a new and improved manufacture

No sling, no enbloc, CoA and packing slip in an envelope outside the case (between case and shipping carton.)
I'll email them and bitch about the lack of inclusions.

i use the ones my reserve unit issued with our M16's...they fit perfect and work just as well. i'm not even sure there's any discernible difference between the M1 and the M16 web slings anyway.

Reserve units might still have the cotton Web loop slings in rotation.
My dad learned to shoot the M16 in the air force.
All be it a " Here this is how you shoot this thing and hit that target there ok good next" type of training.
He later joined the National Guard in the 70s and they used Garands. He preferred the M16

Those nylon slings that don't have a loop are useless. Although I see there's a transition back to single point slings in the services?

The loop has to be 'made'...we used all web material 'parade' slings in basic and out to 500yds. we participated in a Bn level exercise in 2012 at Ft. Drum and our CO noticed all his guys were the only swinging dicks with parade slings still. he got us funding for web 3 point style slings within a half year. i took my parade slings home and they sat in a drawer for a few years until I got my first Garand. i was looking into getting a sling for it...searched some pictures and noticed that the web sling I was issued was strikingly similar (if not identical) to what I was looking at. took it out of the drawer and hooked it on and I've never felt then need for another sling on that rifle. I've since bought a few different variations of the 1907 in leather and all-weather and still at this point prefer my good ol' USGI issued web sling. maybe i'll swap it out at some point...never say never.

fast forward...we just learned a few months ago that the rules have changed for rifle qual, and that the two point parade style is no longer allowed...and that we have to use the 3 point until they phase that one out in the next few years and get us the 1 point style all the ground pounders are using.

No sling, no enbloc, CoA and packing slip in an envelope outside the case (between case and shipping carton.)

They'll make it right, I promise. I just like calling the ladies there to hear their southern accents. My girlfriend intentionally got rid of 95% of her accent for med school :(

They'll make it right, I promise. I just like calling the ladies there to hear their southern accents. My girlfriend intentionally got rid of 95% of her accent for med school :(

Just bring an audio recorder along when you visit in Georgia. That accent will swing from 95% gone to only 5% gone.

Agreed that it's nice to hear the ladies talk.

Did you look under the foam in the case? There should be a safety booklet, enbloc, OBI, a card to mail in for a trigger lock, and apparently a sling and they are all in a plastic bag somewhere under the foam of the rifle case.
I have never not received one.

Just bring an audio recorder along when you visit in Georgia. That accent will swing from 95% gone to only 5% gone.

Agreed that it's nice to hear the ladies talk.

My brother-in-law and I did this to my sister... Boston TV viewing marathon at their place in Phoenix... Walburgers, the lobstah show on Discovery, the tuna show on Discovery, the sword fishing show in Discovery, The Town and whatever other Boston Accent movies we could conspire to find.
When she returned to work on Monday her co-workers wanted to know if everything was OK, since she apparently had to fly home for the weekend. [rofl]

- - - Updated - - -

Did you look under the foam in the case? There should be a safety booklet, enbloc, OBI, a card to mail in for a trigger lock, and apparently a sling and they are all in a plastic bag somewhere under the foam of the rifle case.
I have never not received one.

None of that stuff. Shipping doc and CoA in an envelope outside the case, rifle with hangtag inside the case. Both foams removed nothing under them, nothing else in the shipping carton.

My brother-in-law and I did this to my sister... Boston TV viewing marathon at their place in Phoenix... Walburgers, the lobstah show on Discovery, the tuna show on Discovery, the sword fishing show in Discovery, The Town and whatever other Boston Accent movies we could conspire to find.
When she returned to work on Monday her co-workers wanted to know if everything was OK, since she apparently had to fly home for the weekend. [rofl]

LOL, that's awesome!

- - - Updated - - -

None of that stuff. Shipping doc and CoA in an envelope outside the case, rifle with hangtag inside the case. Both foams removed nothing under them, nothing else in the shipping carton.

FBI agent in The Town- one of the worst attempts at a Boston accent evah. The line where he says, "you didn't rob a StarMarket in Malden for a box of quarters..." may be the worst.

Love when the cmp ladies call about your orders.
Hello sir where call,n bout your RyeFull.

Detail stripped, there is some pitting on the op rod outside diameter but the gas seal looks to be replaced?
The inside diameter (spring cavity) of the op rod had what appeared to be rusty oil running freely out of it. I rodded it with a patch and Hoppes a few times to clean it up and swapped it clean, then thoroughly greased the spring with Mobile 1 red synthetic grease.
I also followed the greasing instructions posted in another thread and re-assembled it.
I hope to bring it to OCSA tomorrow early evening to begin a breakin sequence and maybe shoot a target or two at 100 yards.

Back
Top Bottom