Rifle scopes ,input , ideas etc. UPDATED

mac1911

NES Member
Looking for a rifle scope for shooting nice small groups. For now it will live atop a 1 of 2 ARs.
1. Is a 18" heavy bull barrel with CLE match chamber.
2. Is a 20" heavy barrel
Most shooting will be done out to 200 yards with a trip or two out to 600 yard fun prone match. I have no dreams to beat anyone but myself. Prone and bench
I have been saving for a year my budget was dwindled with unexpected tire replacement. Blow out and could bring myself just to replace one when I had surplus cash to buy all 5 and not worry about new tires for a,while....ok enough.

I tried several scopes over the summer and of course the ones I really like where way out of budget.
Budget is 700-·1200

I'm,very picky about the reticle. I don't want a super busy tactical reticle. Here is a,list of scopes I have found that I feel fit my needs. Any input on these or other suggestions are welcome.

Top things I know I want.... MagX figure 32x should be enough but I'm open to ideas.
Side adjusting AO, target/tactical style turrets. I'm so tired of using a coin.
Fine reticles and simple
Well just to date myself my favorite and best scope is a leupold VXIII 2.5x8x32 standard 30/30 duplex. It's going on 20+ years old. It's just not fun for target shooting the + covers about 1.5moa of the target.

That said here's a few I have considered or looked through.
1. Burris XTR 8x40 ballistic plex
2. Night force NXS 8-32 np 2dd reticle
3. Leupold comp target dot. Not thrilled with fixed magX
4. Weaver T XR 1/8 moa dot. I like this scope but the lack of a few hold over dots kills me.
5. Vortex golden eagle ECR-1 I like the looks of the reticle on this but this scope is,not even available until late summer.
6. Sightron SIII with lrtd dot ret or LRMOA2 ret. I tried the dot again the lack of a few hold overs bums me out.

I was hoping over the year of saving the trend of the super ranging tactical mil dot reticle would diminish some what.

Ideally I would like a night force with MOAR T reticle in the benchrest price range with side focus.?

UPDATED: finally bought a Sightron SIII 8x32x56 I only had enough time after the CMP M1 garand match to do a quick 50 yard zero then jump out to 200...all I can say is wow its amazing what just a few hundred more does for clearity,contrast and overall nice scopes.... I tried shooting on the high 32x and now see why the advice of starting lower was given....I found 18X to be really good. More experienced shooter I talked with said Higher X will take some getting used to....any how after wasting a few rounds on 32 X I dialed back to 18 which is where I didn't get the sea sick type feeling...I then put 5 rounds into thee X ring of a SR target at 200 yards....not bad for a new scope , rifle and load.... RSO called me later( I couldn't retrieve my target before I had to leave) measured 2.183 CTC by his measurements... now to get used the scope and see if I can tweek this load.

Last edited:
You got the right idea. Night force is great. Some will tell you to go Vortex because of their guarantee. Tell you what: out in the field, guarantees mean nothing. Your shit needs to work, period. Night force will do just that.

I like the night force but for now they are out of my price range.
If the Bench rest model had side focus at current prices I would be happy to snag one.

Stop thinking. Badger ordnance. End of story. Actually, I remember seeing a guy from Sweden (I believe) who made mounts and rings that looked even superior, but his prices were really from a galaxy far, far away.

Stop thinking. Badger ordnance. End of story. Actually, I remember seeing a guy from Sweden (I believe) who made mounts and rings that looked even superior, but his prices were really from a galaxy far, far away.
Huh, jee all I though they made was a few M1 garand tools. I sent off a email to find out if any of there mounts are high enough?

Bravo to Badger, emailed them last night shortly after my other post and they replied at 3;38am with the correct height needed for my objective lens size. Their mount look very nice also.

You got the right idea. Night force is great. Some will tell you to go Vortex because of their guarantee. Tell you what: out in the field, guarantees mean nothing. Your shit needs to work, period. Night force will do just that.

Won't see a,lot of field use. Any "hunting" will be from a fixed location with very little tromping through the woods. It will be a bench/prone gun.

If I get out in the field 2 times a year that will be a lot.

Thou gettuth what thou payuth for (sometimes less, never more)

Nightforce, and US Optics, are great options if price is no object.

If price is a concern, Vortex is decent quality for the money. Few, if any, of the operators on NES are going to be betting their lives on their scope, or away from their armory (where they can grab another gun) in field conditions for extended periods of time.

Thou gettuth what thou payuth for (sometimes less, never more)

Nightforce, and US Optics, are great options if price is no object.

If price is a concern, Vortex is decent quality for the money. Few, if any, of the operators on NES are going to be betting their lives on their scope, or away from their armory (where they can grab another gun) in field conditions for extended periods of time.

No bushnell elite tectical ?
I have a Bushnell Elite Tactical on my fifty. While it's not a super premium brand, it is very nicely build, crisp image, and seems to be respectable offering in the higher end scope market.

No bushnell elite tectical ? I love the looks of their G2 reticle, and i am looking at one day getting their 6-24 version

Almost every reticle thats remotely Mil or tactical is far to busy for me. Plus most take up to much of the target area.... Im not going to be trying range targets all over the yardage spectrum so I dont need much
If I could get something like this in the 32X area where the hold overs only cover .25 MOA or less at 24X or so I would be buying something. Every week month i go just adds to the kitty. I was kind of hoping for the mil dot style ret phase to slow down and get back to more target styles ? map 6.png If I can get a simple ret like this with a 1/8 MOA dot I would be all set.

I have these on my pellet guns and they work darn good....

SPUHR MOUNTS

SPUHR MOUNTS

Those look pretty darn stout...

I'm more picking about the reticle. Basically I don't want to ret to cover to much of the target.
So,most Tactical style ret do not meet that need. I don't care where the MOA or MIl sustends I will run at higher MAGX most of the time. Not looking to acquire targets quickly
Field of view has little influence on my decision.
My gun and ammo are capable of .50moa and I think the only thing from getting better is,my scope. my current leupold is a hunting scope with a good old fashion 30-30 duplex with like every scope you can figure out distance if you take the time to learn how with your ret....but the cross on the ret covers approx 2moa ....
Until I figure it out I will be using my Hawke 4x16 map 6. If it's not to cold and I can actually get a picture of my ret on the target I will show what amount it covers down range.
Keep the ideas coming....today is pay day and another 25$ goes into the pot.
With something like a .1 dot at 32X you can put the dot inside your bullet hole in the X ring vs most scopes covering the X ring.

Last edited:
20160213_144752.jpg
I like this reticle an this scope is not bad for what it cost. I just want something better.
The software Hawke had works well also. I got cheat sheets that fit I. The sense caps.

So I'm still looking.

I didn't notice this last time I was looking on Sightron web site http://www.amazon.com/Sightron-6-24x50mm-First-Focal-Plane/dp/B00NMQRUZ2

The regular SIII 10x50 is .25 dot at 24x so it will shrink up a bit on higher X

So basically I'm floating between sightron and vortex. I only wish Vortex ECR-1 ret was available in some of their other scopes. .. the 10x60x60 is just a tad to big and a few hundred more than I want to spend plus they are not available to summer which most likely will translate into Christmas

So I decided to go with the Sightron SIII 8x32x56 moa 2 reticle and a vortex cantilever mount.
Should be here Wednesday and hope to get out Sunday.

Just like to add I like the resolution of this scope. Even Tuesday evening with a dark over cast misty sky I could pick up
22 holes at 200 yards on 18x
I need to get used to high MagX... I was shooting 32x but the wobble was making me sea sick.
24 was better and 18 seems just right.... but dang! 32X is just awesome I could read the tiny print on the target...

Back
Top Bottom