Review of Remington 11-87 on Rabbit Hunt

I purchased a Remington 11-87 this Friday and took her out on my Saturday morning rabbit hunt. Only came with a modified choke and it has a 28" barrel. Well I found out that I may need to buy an improved cylinder choke for that gun. Different guys in the group had different opinions as far as if the pattern was too tight. One guy insisted it was perfect. Without going into gruesome details I can say it was a bit too tight especially when I got to preparing the game. have any of you had experience with a 28" barrel with mod chokes? I shot #6 Remington Gameload with it.

It was my one gun for 20 years - never hunted rabbit with it but I've got a lot of ducks with it.

Get a set of chokes and you'll have all the gun you'll need - use IC for close stuff - also try backing off to 7.5s - the lightest loads you can find, this will help with digging out shot.

This is where the squeamish look away......

I shot one at about 25yards and it just shattered his back legs. There was bone fragments sticking out and at that point I thought... hmm maybe it's time to spread the shot around a little bit more. We shot 9 total and the 3 that I shot... well I knew that I was the one who shot it. It's a beautiful gun. I got it with the grey overmold grips. Almost looks like the new Benellis. I tried looking up a stock photo of it but haven't seen any like mine. I'll have to post a pic some time tonight.

I'd shift from #6 to #7.5 and light modified or improved should do you just fine. Buy every choke tube you think you'll use and you'll never be left wanting.
Start with these:
Cylinder
Improved Cylinder
Light Modified
Modified
Full

Back
Top Bottom