Review: Grounding flour: Country Living Grain Mill

doobie

Banned
A few years back I picked up a cheap arse grain mill. I used it for the first time before a dinner party a few weeks ago, it was a big pain in the rear end. I had a hard time getting it to stay in place, turning the handle was painful, and in the end it left a mark on my counters. I decided to buy a new one. I wanted something that I could motorize if I wanted. In my searched I settled on the Country Living Grain Mill. A bought a few accessories to go with it and a set of spare parts just in case... That and if this worked out well intend to make bread using it at least once a week.

Well it arrived and the first thing I realized was, "Oh crap I have to make a base for it." Off to Lowes. I picked up some 3/4 birch plywood. Cut it into two 1'x2' pieces and glued it together. I then bolted the mill with 5/8" 2" long bolts and used a small piece of plywood to protect the top of the grain mill. (I'll post pictures as soon as my camera works).

I went to use it and it was pretty stable with this setup, but at high speeds it did slide a little. I could have held it in place, but instead I decided to get 2 6" irwin quick clamps. Perfect!

I was able to mill a pint worth of grains in about 5 minutes (I was going pretty fast maybe around 45-80 RPM). I haven't weighed what I have, but my guess is a pint yielded around 2 cups. I'll find out tomorrow when I make a whey bread after making mozzarella cheese.

It looks like it'll be very easy to mount a motor on this if I so choose.

Pro: easy to use doesn't take a lot of effort, just takes a while, you can go slow or fast and it seems to work just as well, just takes longer the slower you go. Comes apart fairly easily for cleaning.

Cons: it doesn't come ready to use out of the box. There may be a mount you can buy, but if not, be prepared to use your carpentry skills.

Last edited:
Doobie - curious as to where you purchased the Country living mill....What was the price if I dare ask...?

survivalunlimited.com it was 395.00 for the base setup. I think there was another place (don't recall the name) that was 375. The problem was i wanted a number of accessories and spare parts and survivalunlimited had the best overall price. A number of the accessories are discounted if you buy it with the mill.

I believe I went with:

Grain Mill, Power Bar, Corn/Bean Auger, Flour Bin
Extra Grinding Plates
Power Bar Extension bar for more Leverage
Flour Bin - High Impact Polymer
Hopper Lid for the Country Living Grain Mill

Our Country Grain mill is still in the box since August 08.

We recently ordered the 5gallon (approx) bags, hot jaw from Sorbent , with some 10# bags and 02 from LDS (FYI: LDS is the way to go for 02 absorbers).

600# of grain was just ordered via Belchertown and word is the order should go out tomorrow (Friday).

All that being said, I hope next month is the time for us to unpack the Country mill, put it through some paces and then order the spare parts we should have ordered the first time.

-ed

PS: prepping on a budget (and last minute) sure takes some time. Start now if you haven't already...

Here's an image of the mill and the base I made

attachment.php

Last edited:
I have one of those but haven't gotten around to hooking it up yet. My plan was to build a workbench in the basement and bolt it to that. I didn't have an plans to motorize it though... not sure on how I'd go about doing that as I have no such equipment.

I have one of those but haven't gotten around to hooking it up yet. My plan was to build a workbench in the basement and bolt it to that. I didn't have an plans to motorize it though... not sure on how I'd go about doing that as I have no such equipment.

Motor, power source for motor, small wheel, pully, and tension [smile]

Just don't go too fast with the motor...

Motor, power source for motor, small wheel, pully, and tension [smile]

[laugh] I figured it'd be something like that. Problem is, I'm a software engineer, and that sounds like a hardware problem. I don't do hardware. At least not easily.

[laugh] I figured it'd be something like that. Problem is, I'm a software engineer, and that sounds like a hardware problem. I don't do hardware. At least not easily.

How many software engineers does it take to replace a lightbulb?

None, it's a hardware problem

How many physicists does it take to replace a light bulb?

In theory one.

How many mathematicians does it take to replace a lightbulb?

One can come in handy to reduce it to a previous joke.

Back
Top Bottom