Returning to Excise Tax and (Formerly) State Regulated Auto Insurance

So in about 5 months or so, I'm moving back to MA to start my 4 year college degree. Being in GA for the past 4 years, I've sort of been spoiled as to the lax laws, shooting regulations (or lack thereof), and just laid back atmosphere. Despite having my LTC Class A-ALP, I still feel like I have a nuclear bomb coated with cocaine and the secret to the JFK assassination all in one whenever I use my firearms back home.

I'm just curious as to what to pick up before I come back 'home' for good. I already have a Glock 23, Anti-zombie Mossberg, and custom built AR15. I've never been too big a collector on guns but being spoiled in GA sorta makes you forget MA....

So what would be good to pick up before I leave here? Most of this stuff is really cheap, as most guns in the deep south are compared to up north. I just don't like the idea of paying 2-3X the price for a gun I 'may' want in the future, when I can buy it now and not worry about MA's ridiculous laws.

Some ideas...

FN 5.7
HK P30/HK45/USP
Springfield XD
Walther P22
WASR 10 or some AK47 variant
Remington 700

I've thought about a Thompson, AR or PS90 but I'll just wait till post college where I can dump the funds into that crazy NFA paperwork(SBR type). Minus suppressors unless I move to NH or something.

Sorry...long post. Any ideas?

Last edited:
I'm not really interested in selling for profit, as I see how much being a gun lover in MA sucks. More of a "I go to PA for a vacation, shoot an FN 5.7 and want one" and then its more than twice the MSRP.

Right now, my budget is about 5K to play with for 'forbidden' MA firearms, I guess. Unless anyone would be interested in buying and reselling (hypothetically of course) for damn near my buying price & transfer.

I sold my first WASR for $325 on Gunbroker a year and a half ago. Can't find anything decent under $450 nowadays.[sad]

Just remember, if that custom AR was from after the AWB sunset, and it's got the evil features, you can't bring it into MA. Leave it down there, or sell it before you come up here.

Mass still has the AWB in place...and if you were to get caught, you're an instant felon and no more guns for you no matter where you live.

did you say you have lived in GA for the past 4 years, and still have your LTC-A ALP? if that is true that you have been living in GA for the past 4 years, then you do not still have your LTC-A. It became void once you moved out of the state. YOu would have to reapply in the town you end up living in IIRC.

Also, some of that NFA stuff you want, you need a "green card" or a Machine Gun License for anything that is automatic, and that is dependent on each town.

Just make sure that you buy them for youself, and then decide you hate them and have to expediently get rid of them. I'd put one for a kahr 9mm or .40cal. They are rare in these parts, and you'd get a good price for them.

Gravis856,

Based upon your OP, it sounds like you are finishing up a 4 year tour in the Army and have maintained your legal residence in MA, hence your LTC A - ALP. If so, your may need to check the legality of purchasing anything, especially handguns, prior to returning to MA.

If my hypothesis us correct, I suggest contacting a lawyer who is familiar with both the UCMJ and MA Firearms laws so that you do not run afoul of our draconian laws, rules and regulations when you return home.

Good luck and welcome back
Ferretfour

Gravis856,

Based upon your OP, it sounds like you are finishing up a 4 year tour in the Army and have maintained your legal residence in MA, hence your LTC A - ALP. If so, your may need to check the legality of purchasing anything, especially handguns, prior to returning to MA.

If my hypothesis us correct, I suggest contacting a lawyer who is familiar with both the UCMJ and MA Firearms laws so that you do not run afoul of our draconian laws, rules and regulations when you return home.

Good luck and welcome back
Ferretfour

Yeah, the only thing I need down here to buy firearms are a copy of my orders (to prove GA residency) and drivers license. I've never had a problem purchasing firearms legally down here. Although I'm sure the law makers in MA wouldn't be too pleased to know that.

Anybody that you recommend consulting lawyer-wise?

This whole issue of military personnel being able to purchase firearms while stationed in another state has been previously discussed. Please do a search.

Don't scare Gravis856 to death that he is violating the law. As long as he doesn't bring back any post-ban hi capacity magazines, he should be fine as far as handguns go.

Mark L.

IIRC there was also the topic of dual residency discussed as well and what that enabled one to do in regards to buying in another state.

This whole issue of military personnel being able to purchase firearms while stationed in another state has been previously discussed. Please do a search.

Don't scare Gravis856 to death that he is violating the law. As long as he doesn't bring back any post-ban hi capacity magazines, he should be fine as far as handguns go.

Mark L.

true. what about if he is, in his process to buy these firearms, proving his GA residency? What are the rules on that? Typically, if you are proving residency of another state, you are no longer a resident of MA and as such dont have a MA LTC anymore.

Are things different for men and women in service? I would think they were, but god knows what this state allows and doesnt with its stupid laws. Definitely contact a firearms lawyer to see what can be made of it all. Cant hurt, right?

BA2, yes rules are different for active duty military.BATFE lays it all out nicely in those books that all FFLs get (and don't read).

Active duty orders make you (per Fed Law) a "resident" of the state you are assigned to, regardless of your "state of residence" declared when you enlist.

I don't think MGLs allow active duty personnel in MA to buy anything in MA if their declared "state of residence" is not MA (not 100% sure), but that is not the issue here.

"Snowbirds" that spend 4-6 months/year in FL and own residences there as well as MA are allowed per BATFE and FL law to buy guns while they reside there. If MA is their other home, they don't lose their LTC or MA residency in doing so.

The OP has no need to consult attorneys on this matter.

You might just want to find someplace in New Hampshire and commute. There's bit of a middle class - gun owning - exodus going on.

Yeah, it's that bad, and its going to get worse...

Yeah, the only thing I need down here to buy firearms are a copy of my orders (to prove GA residency) and drivers license. I've never had a problem purchasing firearms legally down here. Although I'm sure the law makers in MA wouldn't be too pleased to know that.

Anybody that you recommend consulting lawyer-wise?
Scrivener, CrossX, Jesse Cohen.....the list goes on. Good Luck and Thanks for serving.

Mark L.

Don't forget that he said that he had a custom built AR. I'm just not wanting him to bring it back if it is a "no ban" rifle. If that's the case, he can not have that rifle in MA.

Mark L.

Mark L

My intent was not to "scare Gravis856 to death". I only wanted him/her to check with an attorney regarding some of our more draconian laws. rules and regulation so that he did not experience any difficulty.

Some items to consider:

Will he be returning to the same place of residence as listed on his LTC A, or will a Change of Address form need to be submitted to the 3 organizations within 30 days?

Does he need to file any FA-10s (within 7 days).

Does any of his equipment violate the AWB portion of our laws? especially since they may not apply to residents of GA (I am not sure of GA laws). I was thinking High Cap mags since our law went into effect and the AR with 2 or more evil items.

How will he be traveling back (through NJ or NY)? Better to expend the HPs before traveling through these states? and to avoid NYC altogether. I realize he should be OK traveling under FOPA, but is it really worth the hassel carrying the HP and possible getting stopped when then can easily be purchased in MA after he arrives?

[smile]

Last edited:
Buy a CZ 2075 RAMI and once you get here, decide that you hate it. Call me and I will gladly reimburse you for your cost and troubles with it.

Back
Top Bottom