Required Storage for Gun/Ammo in Maine House & IWB with shirt BEHIND gun count as OC?

I am heading up to our family Maine house this weekend. I finally got my Mass LTC unrestricted and had a few questions regarding getting up to Maine.

I found a great post discussing the transport up to Maine ( Unloaded gun, in locked box ammo can be in same box drive from MA to MAINE), but my three questions are as follows:

1) What are the legal requirements for storing my gun and ammo while it is inside the Maine House and not my person in OPEN CARRY fashion? Handgun need to be in locked case? gun lock? Ammo in locked case?

2) Can you conceal carry without a Maine permit while on my own PRIVATE property? ( granted it is woodsy, and it is private, and I might get the "concealed is concealed"... but I am asking about legality)

3) If I have an IWB holster, and no Maine License, if I tuck my shirt behind the holster or grip, does that constitute as OPEN CARRY, or do I need an OWB holster exposing the full gun/holster If I were running to the store, going on a hike, etc...

Thanks!

I
1) What are the legal requirements for storing my gun and ammo while it is inside the Maine House and not my person in OPEN CARRY fashion? Handgun need to be in locked case? gun lock? Ammo in locked case?

There is no law as long as no one gets hurt, I keep mine in the nightstand draw locked and loaded. I dont have small kids anymore tho. In Maine if a kid uses your gun and kills themselves or someone else you are going to jail.
I
2) Can you conceal carry without a Maine permit while on my own PRIVATE property? ( granted it is woodsy, and it is private, and I might get the "concealed is concealed"... but I am asking about legality)
That is a great question, I wouldnt see why not but not sure. Remember open carry here is legal.
I
3) If I have an IWB holster, and no Maine License, if I tuck my shirt behind the holster or grip, does that constitute as OPEN CARRY, or do I need an OWB holster exposing the full gun/holster If I were running to the store, going on a hike, etc...

Another good one with no answers from me lol

I don't know the answers either but suggest that the OP perhaps read thru the ME law on this or the booklet (online) with the laws to see if it answers his/her questions.

Be careful what you read online cause most of the online sites say you cant carry in places that serve alcohol and that is just false. I am 110% you can carry in a bar as long as it isn't marked no gun on the door.

I don't know the answers either but suggest that the OP perhaps read thru the ME law on this or the booklet (online) with the laws to see if it answers his/her questions.

The booklet I have is "Maine laws related to Permits to Carry Concealed Handguns".

After doing more searching, I doubt there is any wording on what consistutes "Open Carry" in Maine... in regards to what percentage needs to be showing, where the holster needs to be, etc...

I will keep reading and trying to figure out the OC and CC on private property.

- - - Updated - - -

There is no law as long as no one gets hurt, I keep mine in the nightstand draw locked and loaded. I dont have small kids anymore tho. In Maine if a kid uses your gun and kills themselves or someone else you are going to jail.

Thanks for that.

Up near Bridgeton.

The hard part for MA folks about gun laws in Maine is that there are hardly any and even less case law. There are no laws saying what is allowed, only a few saying what is not. So there is no law I can point to to say, look here, the law says it is ok to do this. Here is some input based on my experience, but I am not a lawyer.

1) Once in Maine, the gun does not have to be in a locked box in your car. It does have to be unloaded, but it can be sitting right next to you on the seat. By Maine law, loaded means either one in the chamber(s) or chamber empty, mag loaded and mag in the gun. It is legal for the mag to be loaded and sitting right next to the gun. You just cannot conceal it. If in a box that is with in your reach, it needs to be locked.

2) As stated, there is no law about storage, but it is your legal responsibility to not let kids get your gun.

3)My understanding has always been that you can conceal carry on your own property. But there is no law saying that. I have asked several cops and they all said it is legal. I could not find any case law of some one being charged with CC on their own property.

4) Open carry applies to all people who can legally own a gun. There is no law saying what is and what is not open carry. The law simply states that carrying a concealed gun on your person or about your persons person is not legal with out a permit. Is an obvious flap gun holster concealing the gun legal? Is an inside the pants pistol carry legal? It is a gray area. In a holster on the side of you is legal. That is not gray.

When you come back after September, Constitutional Carry will be legal in Maine. That will mean you can have a loaded handgun in the car and carry concealed all you want with out a permit.

I hope that helps.

Last edited:
The hard part for MA folks about gun laws in Maine is that there are hardly any and even less case law. There are no laws saying what is allowed, only a few saying what is not. So there is no law I can point to to say, look here, the law says it is ok to do this. Here is some input based on my experience, but I am not a lawyer.

1) Once in Maine, the gun does not have to be in a locked box in your car. It does have to be unloaded, but it can be sitting right next to you on the seat. By Maine law, loaded means either one in the chamber(s) or chamber empty, mag loaded and mag in the gun. It is legal for the mag to be loaded and sitting right next to the gun. You just cannot conceal it. If in a box that is with in your reach, it needs to be locked.

2) As stated, there is no law about storage, but it is your legal responsibility to not let kids get your gun.

3)My understanding has always been that you can conceal carry on your own property. But there is no law saying that. I have asked several cops and they all said it is legal. I could not find any case law of some one being charged with CC on their own property.

4) Open carry applies to all people who can legally own a gun. There is no law saying what is and what is not open carry. The law simply states that carrying a concealed gun on your person or about your persons person is not legal with out a permit. Is an obvious flap gun holster concealing the gun legal? Is an inside the pants pistol carry legal? It is a gray area. In a holster on the side of you is legal. That is not gray.

When you come back after September, Constitutional Carry will be legal in Maine. That will mean you can have a loaded handgun in the car and carry concealed all you want with out a permit.

I hope that helps.

This helps a lot! I was actually looking for an answer just like this; clear and well separated.

Thanks for the help!

Niner,
Actually one more clarification... Can I carry gun in holster, while in the car if the mag is out of the gun and chamber is empty? IE: Open carry... when I get up to car drop mag, empty chamber, re holster, and throw mag and bullet in cup holder and drive?

thanks.

Niner,
Actually one more clarification... Can I carry gun in holster, while in the car if the mag is out of the gun and chamber is empty? IE: Open carry... when I get up to car drop mag, empty chamber, re holster, and throw mag and bullet in cup holder and drive?

thanks.
You will only have to worry about having a loaded hand gun in a car until LD652 takes effect. Part of the CC law was to allow loaded handguns in cars. For now the only thing you have to worry about is it is not loaded and is not concealed. Where it is does not matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will only have to worry about having a loaded hand gun in a car until LD652 takes effect. Part of the CC law was to allow loaded handguns in cars. For now the only thing you have to worry about is it is not loaded and is not concealed. Where it is does not matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Niner. I had my packet in envelope ready to apply... I decided to save the $60 and not conceal for a few months when I am there on weekends. Maybe I will get a nice OC Holster.

Back
Top Bottom