• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Renting a bus or van to car pool to gun shows?

With the high cost of fuel lately has anyone thought of getting everyone on the same page to chip in and rent a bus to go to gun shows that are farther away? Just a crazy thought i had maybe in the near future we will have to think about it?

Even with the high gas prices and everything, I don't think itd really
make that much sense, unless the show was one that was more
than say, 2 hours away. The three or four shows I usually hit each
year (Wilmington, Marlboro, Rockingham, Lunenburg) all of them take me
less time to get to / back from than my daily commute does, so they're "easy"
to me. The Big-E is probably longer than that, but never been to it
yet, but I doubt its more than an hour and a half from central MA, assuming
you drive slow and take a long route.

My daily commute costs me $11.25 in gas, at current
prices. A trip to any of these shows is probably less than that due
to less traffic and idle time on the weekends. Saying the trip would
cost $15 (lets say the price of gas goes up further) even if I got half
of that back... whats that get me... a box of 9mm? :) Well, itd probably
pay for lunch at a fast food joint.

I think such a concept would be interesting, though... if only for the social
aspect. A bus of people with a bunch of guns and ammo on board. :)

-Mike

I think car-pooling makes a lot of sense. With the Big E you would save even more because they charge $5 a car just to park. And we could all go to the the Chinese Buffet just down the street afterwards. Just leave one armed guy in the vehicle to guard the goodies.

I already go to the BIG E but i haven't been anywhere else yet I figure to start venturing out farther to some out of state gun shows now too. Some of the NY shows look interesting too. Maybe we can see some new stuff inbetween the gun shows here.

Car pooling makes sense and we usually try to get a group together. The vans are expensive to rent and operate. I don't see that much of a savings.

rscalzo said:
Car pooling makes sense and we usually try to get a group together. The vans are expensive to rent and operate. I don't see that much of a savings.

But, if someone has a van, and we all chip in on gas, and buy the owner of said van lunch. I think that would work in the right direction.

rscalzo said:

Renting vans on weekends is much cheaper. A couple of years ago a bunch of us rented a 7 passenger van to drive to NYC on a Saturday. We all chipped in and it came to well under $20.00 per person. You can't take a train, a bus, or drive yourself for that much.

Car rental companies have weekend deals because their bread and butter customers, business, usually don't rent on weekends. So, they offer bargain rates to get customers in and hope that the customers buy the optional insurance which is 100% profit.

In any case, if the trip is long enough, it makes sense. I'm not sure that a trip in MA or southern NH qualifies, although upstate NY almost certainly would.

Gary

Back
Top Bottom